Poll: How do you feel about public profanity?
They're just words, who cares?
Reign it in in public, at least around kids
Don't use profanity in public at all
If I hear it, I'm going to ask you to stop.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Public Profanity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Public Profanity
I was reminded of this after I read the religious sensitivity thread. There was a comment about it just being likely that you'll end up being offended at some point whilst out and about in public... And it made me think of this situation I encountered recently on the plane ride back from Sydney. There were a group of dudes, college twenty-somethings it seemed, who were just being loud, obnoxious, and at one point fuck was every second word for like five minutes straight. Now, I am not above casually using fuck in a sentence, but I got really fucking annoyed (haha) that they were using so much profanity in a small enclosed public space where children were in the next row over! Im not sure if I would've been equally annoyed or not if they'd left out all the f-bombs... But I tell you I was about ready to get up outta my seat and go all big momma on those boys.. Give 'em a good what-for!

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should we watch our mouths around kids/in public? Does it matter? Is it just leftovers from a religious upbringing that get me so irked? Should I have tried to say something???

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
27-04-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: Public Profanity
I try not to curse as much as possible, excessive cussing always struck me as a lack of intelligence or good maners.

That being said, I do use the language when appropriate, and considering the crowd I hang around, its a natural way of speaking.

I know more than a few people that need to use 'fuck' as every other word in a sentence...... it gets old fast. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
27-04-2014, 08:16 AM
(27-04-2014 08:04 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I try not to curse as much as possible, excessive cussing always struck me as a lack of intelligence or good maners.
I suppose that makes me a goddamn fucking idiot then. Angel

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-04-2014, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 08:21 AM by Crulax.)
[Image: MGKRG.gif?1313404156]

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 3 users Like Crulax's post
27-04-2014, 08:21 AM
(27-04-2014 08:04 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I try not to curse as much as possible, excessive cussing always struck me as a lack of intelligence or good maners.

That being said, I do use the language when appropriate, and considering the crowd I hang around, its a natural way of speaking.

I know more than a few people that need to use 'fuck' as every other word in a sentence...... it gets old fast. Dodgy

Depends on where you are and who you are with...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I watch what I say around kids and at work.

Other than that, I generally don't censor myself much.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-04-2014, 08:45 AM
They're just words.

But words have impact.

Overuse of profanity negates their value as profanities and I agree that it is often an indicator of a lack of education, at least.

I would have asked them (and indeed have asked fellow passengers) to shut up but not for use of 'bad' language but loudness.

Often, a glare is enough.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I try to include swear words in my language as much as possible.

They're great sentence enhancers.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
27-04-2014, 08:48 AM
(27-04-2014 08:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  They're just words.

But words have impact.

Overuse of profanity negates their value as profanities and I agree that it is often an indicator of a lack of education, at least.

I would have asked them (and indeed have asked fellow passengers) to shut up but not for use of 'bad' language but loudness.

Thumbsup

I have 'the eyebrow'.

My kids will say...don't look at me in that tone of voice...when I raise my eyebrow. Words not required. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
27-04-2014, 09:39 AM
(27-04-2014 08:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 08:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  They're just words.

But words have impact.

Thumbsup

I have 'the eyebrow'.

My kids will say...don't look at me in that tone of voice...when I raise my eyebrow. Words not required. Tongue

Yup me too. I can eyebrow.

I used to be able to eyebrow both left and right but now left eyebrow is dominant.

[Image: tumblr_msiqlf4qYJ1sh1z9to1_400.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post