Poll: How do you feel about public profanity?
They're just words, who cares?
Reign it in in public, at least around kids
Don't use profanity in public at all
If I hear it, I'm going to ask you to stop.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Public Profanity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 09:47 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
RE: Public Profanity
George Carlin had a few things to say on the subject Smile

I tend not to use "bad words" very often because I'm aware of how they influence other people's impression of me. However, I'm also aware that not ever swearing has consequences also - a goody two-shoes reputation is probably even worse than a potty mouth reputation.

Verbal Advantage has it right "people judge you by the words you use."

To give you an idea of what I mean, I have a very religious friend who recently posted on Facebook that "if you say the f-word on a first date with [her] there won't be a second date." So, I made a mental note to always say "fuck" at least once on first dates. Thumbsup

On the other hand, I once performed the unedited version of "Don't Mary Her"* by the Beautiful South. I found out after that my cousin's husband had asked her if it was OK to swear around me or if I was as uptight about that as the rest of my family. By using "fuck" in the song rather than the radio edit I became more human and relatable as far as he was concerned which I think is an example of swearing producing positive results. Of course, I probably wouldn't sing that song to my four year old niece.

*I did make a few changes to the lyrics to make it more gender appropriate for straight guy to sing, but I saw no need to make it "clean."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
27-04-2014, 09:44 AM
(27-04-2014 09:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 08:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have 'the eyebrow'.

My kids will say...don't look at me in that tone of voice...when I raise my eyebrow. Words not required. Tongue

Yup me too. I can eyebrow.

I used to be able to eyebrow both left and right but now left eyebrow is dominant.

[Image: tumblr_msiqlf4qYJ1sh1z9to1_400.gif]

Same here. Haha! [Image: smiley-confused002.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I might watch my language around kids. Outiside that I don't care. "Bad words" is a ridiculous concept.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
27-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Swear words are often treated like they're the worst words you can say.

Which is bucking fullshit...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2014, 10:13 AM
I keep a tight rein on my words in public because swearing at an Arab can get you arrested here. In theory swearing at anyone can get you arrested but only the arabs would have the 'wasta' to make it stick. Swearing on stage would get me fired and the venue substantially fined.

In private or familiar company I swear like a fucking sailor. It is an important and highly expressive part of language but one must consider one's audience. Sexual references, even when they're out of sexual context, are not appropriate around children and that has nothing to do with religion.

On this linguistic note, I am also realising that I have an auto-dumb mode, where in I replace big words with easier ones for people who will not understand them. This seems to be totally subconscious and switches off to some extent when I've had a couple of drinks. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
27-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Bunch of you fucktards wanna limit the sounds I can make?...

Silly cunts, go shit on somebody else's parade. I'm gonna teach SOoOo many swear words to kids today. Smartass
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
27-04-2014, 11:00 AM
(27-04-2014 10:57 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Bunch of you fucktards wanna limit the sounds I can make?...

Silly cunts, go shit on somebody else's parade. I'm gonna teach SOoOo many swear words to kids today. Smartass

Mommy, what does "fuck" mean? Angel
27-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I tend to try to be a little more classy with my speech in public, even though sexual references seem to slip themselves in everywhere regardless. But if I curse very little, a curse word will have more impact when it IS used.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
27-04-2014, 11:42 AM
(27-04-2014 11:00 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 10:57 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Bunch of you fucktards wanna limit the sounds I can make?...

Mommy, what does "fuck" mean? Angel
Look at 2:28! FDUCK!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
27-04-2014, 11:42 AM
(27-04-2014 11:00 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Mommy, what does "fuck" mean? Angel

Careful, little girl! There are dirty old men around here who may be tempted to respond inappropriately.

Not that I'd know anything about that... Angel

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post