Poll: How do you feel about public profanity?
They're just words, who cares?
Reign it in in public, at least around kids
Don't use profanity in public at all
If I hear it, I'm going to ask you to stop.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Public Profanity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Public Profanity
(27-04-2014 12:34 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  As of March 5th, I became a man.

You don't look like a man.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2014, 08:46 PM
(27-04-2014 08:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  They're just words.

But words have impact.

Overuse of profanity negates their value as profanities and I agree that it is often an indicator of a lack of education, at least.

I would have asked them (and indeed have asked fellow passengers) to shut up but not for use of 'bad' language but loudness.

Often, a glare is enough.

Thumbsup

Yeah, I really wasn't sure how much I was bothered by their constant use of profanity, just because they were being so damn loud! I was glaring as much as I could, but they were in their own little bubble and all the way on the other side of the plane (big plane.. 3 rows, 3 4 3 seats). I think I'm a lot more confrontational than most people. I was going to go talk to them, but my boyfriend asked me not to.

But what's the big deal about approaching someone with an "excuse me" and a request?

(27-04-2014 02:58 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I had a friend's brother that used to just like drop "fuck" like every other word sometimes and I just wanted to slap him and say "you got more words than that boy and fuck ain't sounding any more scary or serious the more you use it!"

Yes! It just becomes pointless after using it so much and it's just a waste of time! Like teenage "like" or "totally" .... just get to the point and stop using superfluous words!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
27-04-2014, 08:51 PM
If it becomes "pointless", as you say, the more you use it, than why is everyone getting their panties wadded over someone using it excessively.

If they wanna use it and it's considered "pointless" by you, than why shouldn't they just be "aloud" to use it?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-04-2014, 09:00 PM
(27-04-2014 08:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If it becomes "pointless", as you say, the more you use it, than why is everyone getting their panties wadded over someone using it excessively.

If they wanna use it and it's considered "pointless" by you, than why shouldn't they just be "aloud" to use it?

I dunno, my first thought is the children. My next thought is that they're just being LOUD. so maybe it's the loudness that's more annoying?

My other question in the OP was whether this ..sensitivity, for lack of a better word, is leftover from a religious upbringing.

And just because a word has lost its effectiveness doesn't make it any less irritating to hear it repeated 100 times a minute.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
28-04-2014, 12:17 AM
In your situation I can see them being loud as annoying. I would have told them to shut up and see no issue in you doing so. In fact I would applaud you.
Children hear far worse though, and as everyone is saying, they're just words. You can't shelter kids these days. You can only teach them, as a parent, when it is okay and isn't okay to use such language.

It's left over from a time when this sort of thing was taboo. It's not just swearing it's heaps of things. It's just the whole 1920's conservative thing going on. People need to wake up, it's 2014, the world is a far different place to what it was 10-20-50 years ago. It's not the same as even when I was a kid. ie: It was taboo for a kid under 16 to have a cellphone. Now it's common place, hell it's encouraged.

Words only have meaning if people give them meaning. I can say cunt and you can chose to be offended or you can chose not too. Someone can call me a faggot flower boy douchebag and I can chose to be offended or I can chose to lol.
When you, the person hearing it, take away the negative effect it has than it loses all of its potency.

It's like if someone burns a bible or koran (seriously firefox, "bible" isn't wrong but "koran" has to be capitalized... fucking pc bs). The act itself has absolutely zero meaning short of air pollution. But when people take it as offensive, than it has meaning. If those people didn't take offense at it it would lose all potency of being an offensive act.

As for using them 1000 times, that doesn't weigh up at all. It's completely pointless to complain about that. It requires extremely little effort on your part to hear that word being used. None in fact. It doesn't effect you in the slightest.
The only reason you have an issue with it being used a billion times is because you still take offense/despise the word. Stop it and it wont be an issue.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
28-04-2014, 04:43 AM
I think it depends on the type of society you live in.

I DGAF about offending people just for the hell of it, so if I'm aware that public profanity is not welcome (in a Mormon town perhaps) I can easily hold it down.

However,in a place were public profanity is as normal as breathing, like Glasgow Scotland.... I would probably do as the locals do.Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
28-04-2014, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 09:57 AM by kingschosen.)
There are times when a profanity is the proper response to a situation... as the caliber of the word is the only way to express the emotion.

However, under normal circumstances*, I don't think there is ever a proper public situation to use profanities. Because people have many different sensitivities, I want to respect that.

*I mean, if someone had a gun drawn and you screamed, "He's got a FUCKING gun!" That wouldn't be inappropriate. It attracts attention and conveys emotion... exactly what you want to do in a situation like that.

Edit: Also, like what has been said, it depends on the society. I am commenting from the point of view of Southern conservatism.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-04-2014, 10:12 AM
The only time I filter my language is in deference to a parent's wishes regarding their children. Other than that, fuck the fucking fuckers.

Offense is completely in the mind of the offended, and if you're offended by a mere word being uttered, you're probably offended by a shitload of other inane bullshit. As the great George Carlin said "there are no bad words, only bad intentions." If I say "Gosh darnit all to freaking heck" after stubbing my toe instead of "God damn it all to fucking hell", my intention is still the same. It makes me roll my eyes that someone would think saying "You're a silly clam" instead of "You're a stupid cunt" has changed, in the slightest, the vitriol and anger in my thoughts towards someone. It's the directed vitriol and anger that one should be taking offense to, not the word choice.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-04-2014, 10:23 AM
And I'm just gonna leave this right here...

[Image: offended.jpg]

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
29-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Public profanity? Fuck that shit....