Poll: How do you feel about public profanity?
They're just words, who cares?
Reign it in in public, at least around kids
Don't use profanity in public at all
If I hear it, I'm going to ask you to stop.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Public Profanity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 09:08 AM
RE: Public Profanity
(28-04-2014 10:23 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  And I'm just gonna leave this right here...

[Image: offended.jpg]

This is a pretty great quote. I love Stephen Fry.

I guess I'm not really personally offended, I just feel like it's better to be careful around young kids? Like, under 10 years old at least.

I watch my mouth in my classroom and I don't let my students use profanity in my presence... I dunno, it's situational. But is there really a situation where fuck needs to be your every other word?

I guess it's annoying more than offensive. But I still have this feeling about protecting kids' little ears!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I went through a phase when I was a teenager where I thought it was cool to swear a lot... Now... ya know, it just marks you out as a lout IMO. Which... well I am a lout quite a lot of the time. But... for classy shit like talking to kids, I watch my mouth.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
"Rein it in in public, at least around kids"

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Language is not offensive to me, but there is something about hearing a three year old drop an F-bomb that is off putting.

Grown up talk is for grown ups, kids should just be cute. They do hear everything you say and they will repeat it. I don't care how your kids come across, but I would appreciate you watching it in front of mine.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
I've had my going-crazy-with-my-mouth stage since coming out of Christianity. I've let off my steam. Now it's time for me to get some dignity and lose the majority of the cussing (even though mine was still fairly modest). Besides, if I use it too much, it looses it's effect as emphasis.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
(03-05-2014 01:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  "Rein it in in public, at least around kids"

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Oops Blush how embarrassing! I'm usually a stickler for proper spelling!

How can I edit that..?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
04-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Does anyone here think that overuse of swearing may stem from a desire to appear courageous and rebellious?

"Fucking look at fucking me, how fucking brave I fucking am, because I can fucking use this fucking word several fucking times in every fucking sentence, without any fucking worries about the fucking consequences of my fucking actions".

Yes, mate, but it hinders understandability.

People can talk however they like, I don't really give a copulation, but I find that if I swear excessively for no reason, then when I drop something heavy on my toe, swearing does not seem as effective in calming the pain down. Besides, I've heard my 8-year-old nephew speak and I sometimes fear that he might not be learning how to address to someone formally, which is at least as important as knowing how to address to people informally. So in the last few years I seem to have receded in my overuse of swearing.

In my opinion, trying to shield children off profanities is somewhat futile because most of us do use certain expressions under a broad range of circumstances and they are bound to hearing them. What we can do, however, is trying to teach them when it is more convenient to use formal and informal language.

And if that doesn't work... well, fuck it Big Grin