Public Recognition for Private Scars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 03:37 AM
RE: Public Recognition for Private Scars
(08-11-2014 03:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Publish. You can tell teach what you said in OP, sure she'll be even more chuffed. English teachers are weird like that. But add disclaimer like what DLJ said, good to go. I don't think you're making your shitty childhood into profit, you are profiting from your experience sure, but also your great writing skill. Own the fuck outta that shit.

When did profit come into this? Publication does not equal profit in this case. I'm not sure what magazine this is, but I'm assuming it's college related and may just be the equivalent of a college newspaper or something.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
(08-11-2014 03:35 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 03:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Well, since you're providing the kindling for the bonfire, I'll provide the s'mores.

[Image: maggie-09.jpg]

Just email your prof that you're not comfortable with it being published.

Not sure I understand the reference, but I have an unhealthy addiction to smores, and as such, this made me smile. Thank you.

I suck at quoting, and I'm doing this on my phone which tends to delete my posts before I can hit post if I try to quote AND post a pic.

But this is what I was referencing:
Quote: Peace of mind for me would be burning this essay and never talking about its contents to anyone again.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-11-2014, 03:53 AM
(08-11-2014 03:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 03:35 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not sure I understand the reference, but I have an unhealthy addiction to smores, and as such, this made me smile. Thank you.

I suck at quoting, and I'm doing this on my phone which tends to delete my posts before I can hit post if I try to quote AND post a pic.

But this is what I was referencing:
Quote: Peace of mind for me would be burning this essay and never talking about its contents to anyone again.

Ah, gotcha. I totally missed that.

I could really use a smore right now. Smores are always associated with good memories...

Atir aissom atir imon
08-11-2014, 04:50 AM
(08-11-2014 03:35 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 03:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Well, since you're providing the kindling for the bonfire, I'll provide the s'mores.

[Image: maggie-09.jpg]

Just email your prof that you're not comfortable with it being published.

Not sure I understand the reference, but I have an unhealthy addiction to smores, and as such, this made me smile. Thank you.

What a fatty. Bro I've told you what I thought.
08-11-2014, 05:04 AM
(08-11-2014 04:50 AM)Pontificate Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 03:35 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not sure I understand the reference, but I have an unhealthy addiction to smores, and as such, this made me smile. Thank you.

What a fatty. Bro I've told you what I thought.

Yes, a hearty "I dunno." Very helpful Undecided

Atir aissom atir imon
08-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Question in my mind is whether publishing it would help other people in a similar position. The paper is about not having a voice. Just knowing that you are not the only one in the same position can have a really positive effect. If it got 100% then it must be powerful stuff. Do not underestimate the effect it will have on someone else reading it.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
08-11-2014, 05:24 AM
(08-11-2014 05:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Question in my mind is whether publishing it would help other people in a similar position. The paper is about not having a voice. Just knowing that you are not the only one in the same position can have a really positive effect. If it got 100% then it must be powerful stuff. Do not underestimate the effect it will have on someone else reading it.

This is the only reason I even considered publishing it in the first place to be honest

Atir aissom atir imon
08-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Sorry, bro. *twiddles thumbs and taking less to save oxygen*
08-11-2014, 07:33 AM
According to your profile you are 19 and live in an area that is pretty religious, at least compared to many places. Are you on your own or still dependent on parents or others for financial support? If publishing and being found out will threaten that then that makes a difference.

The instructor's reaction tells me that you have a strong ability to write clearly and powerfully and that you have a compelling story. Publishing will probably help others and, believe it or not, will probably help you. Being open about problems can take away their power over you.

I agree with adding a disclaimer that this is based on a true story but details have been changed and specific incidents have been added or omitted. You could also possibly rewrite the essay with that in mind and fictionalize it even more by combining incidents and even fabricating new ones.

That said, if you aren't ready then wait. You can always publish later. Don't let anybody pressure you into either publishing or not.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Congrats on writing an essay that made such an impact. It's difficult to impress English professors so that shows you must have done a wonderful job of telling a story.

If you can have this published anon. I think I would. The fear of discovery should be small.

It's not easy to put things out into public view but it may well be a piece of your healing.

Ultimately the choice is yours but either way it's quite impressive to be considered a writer with the talent to be submitted for publication.

I am sorry this is such a stressful thing for you to have to deal with. Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat