Public Television

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Public Television
I really like the public broadcasting channels typically, but lately I have been noticing a numerous amount of bullshit programs. Numerous New Age movement speakers and "natural" healers. Should I be pissed that my taxes pay for the regurgitation of this crap?

Example: Joel Fuhrman, google him and you'll see what I mean.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2012, 07:30 AM
RE: Public Television
Do I go to WGBH and scope out the programming schedule... oh noes! Easy Yoga for Easing Pain. Blink

At three in the morning. Angry

I mean, Angry

Go hate on something hate worthy... you theist.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm afraid that I either misunderstood your joke or you misunderstood me lol. I simply was annoyed that a tax funded station was supporting pseudoscientific claims and giving people false hope instead of showing them true medical practices that would benefit them. I seem to think there was some sarcasm sprinkled in your response though, maybe?

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
[+] 1 user Likes HDT's post
15-06-2012, 07:12 PM
HoC made of asshole, so there's always some assholery going on. Big Grin

Public broadcasting broadcasts to the public. People donate to watch woo, who are you to complain? Turn the channel. Big Grin

But I got net, never watch regular tv. Go to youtube and search "science documentary" (or ufo, 'cause that shit entertains me) and I'm occupied for a bit. When I do watch tv, I do watch a lot of PBS. Cooking shows and travel shows... and antiques roadshow (talk about crap Tongue) instead of NOVA and Nature - what's wrong with these people?!?!

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't see it as anything new. I've seen various spiritual speakers on PBS stations for years off and on.

I recall many years ago, around 07ish I enjoyed seeing several appearances of programs with this big bald guy, Wayne Dyer, talking about abandoning organized religion and talking about Toaism. I was quite interested in his special at the time and liked his comments on telling people to be Christ-like/Budda-like instead of Christian/ETC (I have to say, I've never heard anyone say someone should be Muhammad-like or Abraham-like.) I never donated or dwelled much interest into that but years later after I became opposed to much more than just organized religion and a better rational thinker; I've realized his speeches are very basic "motivational" tactics you see all over with little different marketing ploys.

Those types of programs still exist and it isn't just the tax funding that sponsors them; it does, but those specific types of programs get repaid when more people donate to the cause expressing their interest in those shows. A lot of people are still fans of those and will buy into the speakers. However; for good reason, there is always NOVA running weekly.

P.S. It is always funny to see a confused run in with HoC by a new forum member. If you stick around, you will understand eventually.[Not the posts per-say]

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
20-06-2012, 11:04 PM
(20-06-2012 02:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't see it as anything new. I've seen various spiritual speakers on PBS stations for years off and on.

I recall many years ago, around 07ish I enjoyed seeing several appearances of programs with this big bald guy, Wayne Dyer, talking about abandoning organized religion and talking about Toaism. I was quite interested in his special at the time and liked his comments on telling people to be Christ-like/Budda-like instead of Christian/ETC (I have to say, I've never heard anyone say someone should be Muhammad-like or Abraham-like.) I never donated or dwelled much interest into that but years later after I became opposed to much more than just organized religion and a better rational thinker; I've realized his speeches are very basic "motivational" tactics you see all over with little different marketing ploys.

Those types of programs still exist and it isn't just the tax funding that sponsors them; it does, but those specific types of programs get repaid when more people donate to the cause expressing their interest in those shows. A lot of people are still fans of those and will buy into the speakers. However; for good reason, there is always NOVA running weekly.

P.S. It is always funny to see a confused run in with HoC by a new forum member. If you stick around, you will understand eventually.[Not the posts per-say]
I guess the silver lining in this situation could be that some of the money raised by showing some of these programs may fund rational thinking shows like NOVA.