Public reactions from theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Public reactions from theists?
So have any of you ever been talking to someone at a work or social gathering or anything similar (outside of family functions) and mentioned to the person that you're an atheist or heard someone else say it? If so, what was the reaction?

Of course to some degree it would depend on who you were talking to, but I can see "I'm an atheist" being a phrase that silences a room.

I continue to be amazed that "I'm an atheist" could trigger shocked reactions from people when the opposite should be true. If someone came to me and told me they worshipped an invisible being in the sky who watches them all the time but never makes an appearance but does sometimes help them find their car keys, and I told the person they needed to get help, that would be considered rude. Yet society expects everyone to have that belief. Telling people you don't worship an invisible being who sits back and watches babies die of cancer and starvation should get you some applause, not a scornful look.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like smeli's post
14-11-2015, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2015 03:41 AM by Freethought.)
RE: Public reactions from theists?
I agree - also, if we were to reverse the scenario and have someone tell a group of atheists they're theist, I think we'd be much more tolerant and respectful to the person than if it were the other way around.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 3 users Like Freethought's post
14-11-2015, 05:08 AM
At work.

Must admit, in my current work space where there is more scope for 'Social chatting' my 'Non-thiest' ideas have caused quircked smiles and the occasional "Really?" Followed by the usual "Then where did everything come from." questions etc.
14-11-2015, 05:37 AM
(14-11-2015 05:08 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Must admit, in my current work space where there is more scope for 'Social chatting' my 'Non-thiest' ideas have caused quircked smiles and the occasional "Really?" Followed by the usual "Then where did everything come from." questions etc.

The "where did everything come from?" question makes me wonder about their imagination.
They have no problem believing an invisible being magically created everything, but can't imagine a less fantastic and more plausible alternative. The fear and denial are staggering.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
14-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Not to mention that by answering - "So where did everything come from?" with "Gawd did it" -- doesn't really answer the question.

It simply moves it one step to the left.

You simply substitute a universe that you can see, but can't explain it's origins - by an interloper you can't see, and can't explain HIS origins.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-11-2015, 09:53 AM
(14-11-2015 05:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not to mention that by answering - "So where did everything come from?" with "Gawd did it" -- doesn't really answer the question.

It simply moves it one step to the left.

You simply substitute a universe that you can see, but can't explain it's origins - by an interloper you can't see, and can't explain HIS origins.

But...but...God just is. Shocking Can't you see that? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Where I'm from, people think of Atheists as satans worshipers. They think you are going to sacrifice them and then burst into flames.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 4 users Like izel's post
14-11-2015, 04:58 PM
You cannot have a conversation with a religious person about atheism. I gave up years ago and now my blood pressure can't handle the stupidity.
[+] 4 users Like rowan's post
14-11-2015, 04:59 PM
(14-11-2015 10:37 AM)izel Wrote:  Where I'm from, people think of Atheists as satans worshipers. They think you are going to sacrifice them and then burst into flames.

We don't often burst into flames. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2015, 05:05 PM
I have mentioned recently that I am not religious. Just putting it out there to get a feel for what the reaction may be. Since the people I have said it to only appear really Christian on Facebook and not in person...I am still testing the waters.

So far there has been nothing really said...but then I haven't used the A word.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat