Public reactions from theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 09:41 PM
RE: Public reactions from theists?
(14-11-2015 11:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't usually tell people.

I always tell people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Last time the conversation came up in a work place I was asked what kept me from going on a killing spree Facepalm

I nearly jumped over the table to strangle her!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
16-11-2015, 08:20 PM
(14-11-2015 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 10:37 AM)izel Wrote:  Where I'm from, people think of Atheists as satans worshipers. They think you are going to sacrifice them and then burst into flames.

We don't often burst into flames. Drinking Beverage

I do, occasionally. Hence, Fireball. But I do cool down quickly, so there is that.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Nobody in Australia has ever cared, except for once. He asked "Would you ever enter a church?" I answered "Only with a bucket of petrol and a torch."

He said nothing and we remained friends for years.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
16-11-2015, 09:07 PM
I would tell anybody who asked outside of a work environment. But nobody has ever asked me before.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Usually if I mention that I'm an atheist people just look at me like I'm an idiot. Then the usually questions start coming, like "What do you think happens when you die then?" or "You don't believe in god?" and the always popular "What if you're wrong?" If they're willing to defend their faith I can actually get into a good conversation, but more often then than not they feel uncomfortable discussing it. Which is pretty lame if you ask me. Your faith in your religion must be pretty weak if you can't defend your beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
17-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I'd only tell my family or close friends-too much potential for social stigma in broader society. I did not grow up in a very religious city or community and don't live in one now so it's never really come up.
17-11-2015, 09:05 PM
(17-11-2015 06:43 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Usually if I mention that I'm an atheist people just look at me like I'm an idiot. Then the usually questions start coming, like "What do you think happens when you die then?" or "You don't believe in god?" and the always popular "What if you're wrong?" If they're willing to defend their faith I can actually get into a good conversation, but more often then than not they feel uncomfortable discussing it. Which is pretty lame if you ask me. Your faith in your religion must be pretty weak if you can't defend your beliefs.

I think I'd respond with, "What if YOU'RE wrong?"

I'm sure there are a lot of people who claim to be religious but will clam up (and walk away) when politely challenged about their beliefs.
18-11-2015, 12:00 AM
My friend group has changed over the years. At one time almost all of my friends were Christian. Some knew I was atheist and regarded me with fear and loathing Tongue Now I've found a new group who're a lot more sensible and I'm less reluctant to out myself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-11-2015, 07:34 AM
(13-11-2015 11:28 PM)smeli Wrote:  So have any of you ever been talking to someone at a work or social gathering or anything similar (outside of family functions) and mentioned to the person that you're an atheist or heard someone else say it? If so, what was the reaction?

Of course to some degree it would depend on who you were talking to, but I can see "I'm an atheist" being a phrase that silences a room.

I continue to be amazed that "I'm an atheist" could trigger shocked reactions from people when the opposite should be true. If someone came to me and told me they worshipped an invisible being in the sky who watches them all the time but never makes an appearance but does sometimes help them find their car keys, and I told the person they needed to get help, that would be considered rude. Yet society expects everyone to have that belief. Telling people you don't worship an invisible being who sits back and watches babies die of cancer and starvation should get you some applause, not a scornful look.

I think it's just surprising to some people that some folks believe there isn't a God of some sort. In their heads the conversation probably goes like this: "how in the world can they look at the world, and think there isn't some higher power or force behind it." For them such beliefs are impossibilities.

It's sort of like the awkward feeling you might get if you were to come across a coworker who though that 9/11 was an inside job, or was a scientologist, in which all sort of questions might come to your head, but you refrain from saying anything about it out of politeness.

Now a days this perception is changing, as the Philosopher Charles Taylor wrote tracking this trajectory, in which a world where it was impossible not to believe, is slowing become a world in which it's impossible to believe, but that's a slow process.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post