Public reactions from theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: Public reactions from theists?
(19-11-2015 10:29 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it appears contradictory. What 'faith' do you think atheists have?

Faith in that there are no gods and religion is ridiculous. Nobody can know for 100% sure though, right? So isn't that faith?

No, atheists do not have faith there are no gods. We simply do not accept the unevidenced claims of theists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-11-2015, 09:29 AM
I can almost hear the sound of hairs being split.
Find all posts by this user
21-11-2015, 01:58 AM
(20-11-2015 09:29 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I can almost hear the sound of hairs being split.

You got a point?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-11-2015, 09:02 AM
(20-11-2015 09:29 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I can almost hear the sound of hairs being split.

The difference between making a claim and not accepting someone else's unevidenced claim is not a hair to be split.
It is a fundamental difference in the attitude to facts.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Dictionary.com defines faith as confidence or trust in a person or thing. I have confidence that gods do not exist, and religion is nonsense. That isnt faith?
21-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Faith is synonymous with trust. Both can be complete or conditional, deserved or undeserved. Your job is to decide which of these terms to apply. Depending on the consequences if things go south, you might want to consider your reasons for applying a particular term.
21-11-2015, 11:46 AM
(14-11-2015 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have mentioned recently that I am not religious. Just putting it out there to get a feel for what the reaction may be. Since the people I have said it to only appear really Christian on Facebook and not in person...I am still testing the waters.

So far there has been nothing really said...but then I haven't used the A word.

The old conversation of "How are you?"
Countered with "God's been good to me." I always toss in God's been pretty rough on me lately.":P
21-11-2015, 03:06 PM
(19-11-2015 01:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Most of the time it hasn't been a big deal, but once, at work a couple of years ago, I was talking to a visitor -- real nice chat, touched on thoughtful stuff at times -- and when he went to begin his hike, he said "You jave a blessed day in Christ". I answered "Thanks, but I'm not a believer."

He stopped and asked, "You're not a believer? You don't believe in God?"

"Nope."

He shook his head, seemed a bit surprised. "I never would have guessed."

I laughed inside at how he thought that I needed to believe in his god to agree with him about how we should treat others. On the surface, I merely wished him a nice day and went on about my duties.
Maybe you confused him by not bringing up animal sacrifices and Satan.
21-11-2015, 03:59 PM
(21-11-2015 10:27 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Dictionary.com defines faith as confidence or trust in a person or thing. I have confidence that gods do not exist, and religion is nonsense. That isnt faith?

Ooooh, cherry-picking. Facepalm I thought only theists did that. Consider

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:
the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.:
to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief:
the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.:
Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.:
He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-11-2015, 11:10 AM
(19-11-2015 10:29 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it appears contradictory. What 'faith' do you think atheists have?

Faith in that there are no gods and religion is ridiculous. Nobody can know for 100% sure though, right? So isn't that faith?

My atheism is a lack of any faith. I simply don't believe what is said about gods, and find that I can't bring myself to believe in them. I don't say that they definitively don't exist. I do say that I don't see any evidence and I don't have any faith.

How that becomes faith in the believer's mind is beyond me. I suppose they so take their faith for granted that they cannot imagine living life without it?

As for religion being ridiculous, I don't need faith for that. I have a veritable mountain of evidence, starting with the funny hats all their leaders wear, and passing through laughably wrong holy books, prejudices based in nothing more than faith, and simple, rank hypocrisy.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post