Public reactions from theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: Public reactions from theists?
(19-11-2015 10:29 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Faith in that there are no gods and religion is ridiculous. Nobody can know for 100% sure though, right? So isn't that faith?
Just like like you have faith there are no dragons, or no goblins, or no vampire walruses on Pluto?
We can't know for 100% sure after all....

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 08:10 PM
[Image: blankstare.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
02-12-2015, 08:42 PM
(13-11-2015 11:28 PM)smeli Wrote:  So have any of you ever been talking to someone at a work or social gathering or anything similar (outside of family functions) and mentioned to the person that you're an atheist or heard someone else say it? If so, what was the reaction?

Of course to some degree it would depend on who you were talking to, but I can see "I'm an atheist" being a phrase that silences a room.

I continue to be amazed that "I'm an atheist" could trigger shocked reactions from people when the opposite should be true. If someone came to me and told me they worshipped an invisible being in the sky who watches them all the time but never makes an appearance but does sometimes help them find their car keys, and I told the person they needed to get help, that would be considered rude. Yet society expects everyone to have that belief. Telling people you don't worship an invisible being who sits back and watches babies die of cancer and starvation should get you some applause, not a scornful look.

It happens very infrequently to me but the other day I was at the local farm and ranch type store, at the counter getting rung up, and an older guy came up behind me leaned around and asked me if I went to church that morning (it was a Sunday). I said no I did not, I'm atheist and I have better things to do with my time than sit in church and listen to a bunch of lies. I had my can of wup ass and was starting to pop the tab when to my surprise he announced: me neither, it doesn't fit with my beliefs any more. The guy behind the counter and the girl sweeping up just got real quiet and looked down at the floor. They wouldn't look at either of us. I guess the guy must have been recently out of the closet and felt like announcing his new lack of belief to the world.

The only other time it has come up was at the school play ground. This was about 5 years ago. I was volunteering to help watch the kids so that the teachers could have time to eat lunch. The lady who was always there with me on the day I worked was always trying to get me to come to her Mormon Church which I politely declined. She kept it up and I finally had had enough. I told her I was atheist. She took a couple of steps back away from me as if it was catching. Her eyes got big as saucers and she said in a quavering voice : you mean you don't believe in God. I said that no I didn't. Then she said "but you're such a nice person". I said there is a way to resolve such seeming contradictions. check your premises. She didn't have much to say after that.

Other than that my life is pleasantly devoid of religious people.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
02-12-2015, 08:52 PM
(17-11-2015 09:05 PM)smeli Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 06:43 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Usually if I mention that I'm an atheist people just look at me like I'm an idiot. Then the usually questions start coming, like "What do you think happens when you die then?" or "You don't believe in god?" and the always popular "What if you're wrong?" If they're willing to defend their faith I can actually get into a good conversation, but more often then than not they feel uncomfortable discussing it. Which is pretty lame if you ask me. Your faith in your religion must be pretty weak if you can't defend your beliefs.

I think I'd respond with, "What if YOU'RE wrong?"

I'm sure there are a lot of people who claim to be religious but will clam up (and walk away) when politely challenged about their beliefs.

My response would be "but I'm not wrong".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-03-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm fortunate to live in a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual and multi-religious country (South Africa) where mentioning your atheism to a group of christians or muslims doesn't even get you a blink. No one minds as long as you don't act like an a-hole to people, which goes the same for theists as well.

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
02-03-2016, 01:03 AM
(02-03-2016 12:47 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  I'm fortunate to live in a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual and multi-religious country (South Africa) where mentioning your atheism to a group of christians or muslims doesn't even get you a blink. No one minds as long as you don't act like an a-hole to people, which goes the same for theists as well.

Hey, I'm in SA too Smile I kinda... I think it depends on the company you keep. My experience of SA has been varied through the years but at one time all my friends were religious and it actually drove me a bit nuts myself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-09-2017, 01:41 AM
I was pumping gas at a gas station when a woman approached me.

Woman: Good morning, how is your day going?
Me: Oh, it's going great. Thank you for asking.
Woman: (hands over a small leaflet with a painting of Jesus on the cover)
Me: (thinking) Oh, boy, now this is happening...
Woman: Do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
Me: (thinking) Okay, normally I'd just take the Bible leaflet without complaint and throw it in the trash later. But I'm hungry and want to get some lunch. I don't have time to pretend to care.
Me: Oh, sorry, but I'm actually an atheist. (hands back leaflet)
Woman: Oh. Well maybe you just need to learn about the Bible.

Man, if there was not a hamburger calling my name, I would have stayed and schooled her about how she just assumed that since I'm an atheist I must've never heard about God before.

-
"Who is the clergy?"
"A bunch of mindless idiots who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."
[+] 5 users Like LightSage's post
18-09-2017, 02:07 AM
(18-09-2017 01:41 AM)LightSage Wrote:  I was pumping gas at a gas station when a woman approached me.

Woman: Good morning, how is your day going?
Me: Oh, it's going great. Thank you for asking.
Woman: (hands over a small leaflet with a painting of Jesus on the cover)
Me: (thinking) Oh, boy, now this is happening...
Woman: Do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
Me: (thinking) Okay, normally I'd just take the Bible leaflet without complaint and throw it in the trash later. But I'm hungry and want to get some lunch. I don't have time to pretend to care.
Me: Oh, sorry, but I'm actually an atheist. (hands back leaflet)
Woman: Oh. Well maybe you just need to learn about the Bible.

Man, if there was not a hamburger calling my name, I would have stayed and schooled her about how she just assumed that since I'm an atheist I must've never heard about God before.

There have been a couple of times I remember when I have been approached by the "Do you know Jesus?" folk where I took the time to respond "Why yes, yes I do." After they go through whatever spiel they have and are waiting for me to respond I went, "What is the message of 'The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.' if not the divinity of Man? When you sign on to be a Christian you accept the responsibility of being God. Or at least faking it if you ain't got the Holy Spirit in you. You do realize that, right?" Never got any response. Only blank stares until they just walked away, stupefied. ... I would note that the only times I remember doing this was when ManlyGirl was with me and I was horny. How many women get the chance to fuck Jesus? Big Grin

#sigh
18-09-2017, 03:30 AM
The most common reaction I get is " Really? Wow! You don't seem like an atheist.
When I ask why not, I'm usually told I'm not an angry person and atheists are angry people.

My son's a practising, moderate Australian Catholic. He's sorry I won't be around in Heaven, but he doesn't believe I'll burn in Hell either - it's for really evil specimens of humanity. He thinks I'll just stay dead- and so do I.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
18-09-2017, 03:32 AM
Whereabouts in Aus' are you mate?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.