Public services

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Public services
I hope this fits here.

I would like to ask how the different public services act towards people in your countries. I had lots of encounters with different public services but for some reason never a single good experience.

I give you two examples from my experience (Germany):

unemployment office: A few years ago I quit with a three month notice period. So I called the unemployment office and told them, that in three months I won't have a job anymore and will need an appointment. I got the appointment. It was for 8:30am. So the day before the appointment I looked up the way because I haven't been there before. But I was still a few minutes late because I simply couldn't find it.
I went in, I said "sorry I am late, I couldn't find it, I haven't been here before"
And the "lady" was completely rude and grumpy "You could have looked it up, right?"
> She felt suprior and I felt like I had actually done something wrong when I didn't. Because I left early and researched and even made the appointment 3 (three) months in advance, I wasn't rude and you could see that I had rushed.

youth welfare office: I had to do with that office a lot. When I was a child as well as an adult due to my (ex-)profession. I have never, and I say it again, never met someone from the youth welfare office who would treat me or his client like a person. Never. Always grumpy, they always give you the feeling that you are interupting them, they treat you like you did something wrong. They do not tell you what you need to know but they tell you everything else + things that are none of their business. Even worse, if you ask for something once you will never get rid of them again but if you report something/someone they are rarely acting on it.

I think it is great to have all these things, I know that not every country has many institution like that.

I am simply stunned at the behavior. These people seem to think they are something better at least that is how they act. They look at everyone like they are bad people and make you feel like crap. As if someone who is seeking help there wouldn't feel bad enough already.
If I have a social job like these above or similar, a job that is supposed to reflect that the government cares for you as an individual, and that is supposed to reflect that you are in good hands, if I have a job like that I have to behave accordingly. I can't be rude and snotty and nosy and interfering like that. If I don't feel like smiling then at least I am professional... or is that just me? Or is that only Germany?

Input please?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2011, 02:25 AM
RE: Public services
(20-12-2011 01:35 PM)Leela Wrote:  I hope this fits here.

I would like to ask how the different public services act towards people in your countries. I had lots of encounters with different public services but for some reason never a single good experience.

I give you two examples from my experience (Germany):

unemployment office: A few years ago I quit with a three month notice period. So I called the unemployment office and told them, that in three months I won't have a job anymore and will need an appointment. I got the appointment. It was for 8:30am. So the day before the appointment I looked up the way because I haven't been there before. But I was still a few minutes late because I simply couldn't find it.
I went in, I said "sorry I am late, I couldn't find it, I haven't been here before"
And the "lady" was completely rude and grumpy "You could have looked it up, right?"
> She felt suprior and I felt like I had actually done something wrong when I didn't. Because I left early and researched and even made the appointment 3 (three) months in advance, I wasn't rude and you could see that I had rushed.

youth welfare office: I had to do with that office a lot. When I was a child as well as an adult due to my (ex-)profession. I have never, and I say it again, never met someone from the youth welfare office who would treat me or his client like a person. Never. Always grumpy, they always give you the feeling that you are interupting them, they treat you like you did something wrong. They do not tell you what you need to know but they tell you everything else + things that are none of their business. Even worse, if you ask for something once you will never get rid of them again but if you report something/someone they are rarely acting on it.

I think it is great to have all these things, I know that not every country has many institution like that.

I am simply stunned at the behavior. These people seem to think they are something better at least that is how they act. They look at everyone like they are bad people and make you feel like crap. As if someone who is seeking help there wouldn't feel bad enough already.
If I have a social job like these above or similar, a job that is supposed to reflect that the government cares for you as an individual, and that is supposed to reflect that you are in good hands, if I have a job like that I have to behave accordingly. I can't be rude and snotty and nosy and interfering like that. If I don't feel like smiling then at least I am professional... or is that just me? Or is that only Germany?

Input please?

I'm not familiar with those institutions, and I'm not sure if "public services" translates into American "civil servants", but that isn't uncommon behavior. Where I think most Americans experience those sorts of snooty, snarky, rude, grumpy, holier-than-thou attitudes is found in any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). There are long lines that you wait in, only to be told by some jackass that you were in the wrong line and no you can't skip to the front of the correct line and because you forgot to check a box on your paperwork you'll have to come back next week.

I think a lot of these folks get into these sorts of jobs thinking they will be a help to society, but then when confronted with the face of society, it's no longer a fun thing. They become miserable and as the old saying goes, Shit runs downhill. So if they're hating their job, they aren't going to find it easy to be nice to every person in line, and they come across as cranky and rude.
That, or maybe it's just a job requirement to be an asshole to work in public service! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Well as I said, if I don't feel like being nice I am at least professional.
I used to work in the social sector and I was at least professional at all times. And when I felt that I started hating my job I stopped doing it.
But I can't treat everyone like a criminal and be an ass because "well it's your fault that you forgot to sign here" ... sorry but in that case I offer my pen and let the person sign instead of saying "come back in a week and have it signed then"

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2011, 02:35 AM
(21-12-2011 02:31 AM)Leela Wrote:  Well as I said, if I don't feel like being nice I am at least professional.
I used to work in the social sector and I was at least professional at all times. And when I felt that I started hating my job I stopped doing it.
But I can't treat everyone like a criminal and be an ass because "well it's your fault that you forgot to sign here" ... sorry but in that case I offer my pen and let the person sign instead of saying "come back in a week and have it signed then"

It's hard to explain why someone like you is able to self-monitor your feelings and behavior while others turn into complete jerks. Is it genetics? Upbringing? I used to think it was Jesus who made me so nice. Without Jesus I'm still nice, I'm just more bitter about being nice. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post