Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card
(24-07-2013 11:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No, there are no racist actions.
Actions in themselves are not racist.

Slavery is NOT a racist action. Slavery of black people due to the belief that white people are superior to black people IS a racist action.

There are no racist actions? Segregating water fountains for the rationalization that it is separate but equal, isn't racist then? The justification behind it is to make it fair. Is it actually fair to do that?

The separation of water fountains was because white people believed themselves higher on the food chain then black people.

It was a non racist action made racist by the racist reasons the action was made.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 11:35 AM
You pick an example about 2 people applying for a job that requires physical labor. Go a little further with the people applying. Is it wrong to not hire someone who is confined to a wheelchair for a construction job but to hire someone who isn't? They have the same qualifications (according to you) after all.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-07-2013, 11:36 AM
(24-07-2013 11:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There are no racist actions? Segregating water fountains for the rationalization that it is separate but equal, isn't racist then? The justification behind it is to make it fair. Is it actually fair to do that?

The separation of water fountains was because white people believed themselves higher on the food chain then black people.

It was a non racist action made racist by the racist reasons the action was made.

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read. The decision was racist. The action was racist. The reason behind it was racist.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-07-2013, 11:39 AM
(24-07-2013 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  They do have the same qualifications.
They both speak english and they both have high school education (for argument sake).
The decision to hire them is based of their characteristics.
Just like my boss.

You can say that being young and fit is part of the qualifications for the job.
I would counter that with being what your customer wants is part of a customer service qualification.

If you lived in an area that was heavily anti-gay (for whatever reason), would it be okay to not hire a gay person who is otherwise qualified just because you think your clientele would claim they are not capable of providing the same service as a straight person?

Do I think it's okay? No. Just like I don't think my boss hiring only white people is okay.

Do I blame him, no, as I said, he is simply catering to his customers wants.
I'd do the same thing, it's good business.

It doesn't make it racist/homophobic...

24-07-2013, 11:40 AM
(24-07-2013 11:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you lived in an area that was heavily anti-gay (for whatever reason), would it be okay to not hire a gay person who is otherwise qualified just because you think your clientele would claim they are not capable of providing the same service as a straight person?

Do I think it's okay? No. Just like I don't think my boss hiring only white people is okay.

Do I blame him, no, as I said, he is simply catering to his customers wants.
I'd do the same thing, it's good business.

It doesn't make it racist/homophobic...

It might be "good business" but that sure doesn't absolve it from being a racist-based decision.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-07-2013, 11:42 AM
(24-07-2013 11:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The separation of water fountains was because white people believed themselves higher on the food chain then black people.

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read. The decision was racist. The action was racist. The reason behind it was racist.

No, the reason behind it was racist yes, that made the action racist.

ie: I could separate drinking fountains at a school between seniors and juniors (plausible situation, juniors are shorter, require lower drinking fountains (I assume))

This is an action of drinking fountain separation. The action however is not a racist action because the reason behind it is not a racist reason.

24-07-2013, 11:43 AM
(24-07-2013 11:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read. The decision was racist. The action was racist. The reason behind it was racist.

No, the reason behind it was racist yes, that made the action racist.

ie: I could separate drinking fountains at a school between seniors and juniors (plausible situation, juniors are shorter, require lower drinking fountains (I assume))

This is an action of drinking fountain separation. The action however is not a racist action because the reason behind it is not a racist reason.

The separation (and the hiring) was based on RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-07-2013, 11:44 AM
(24-07-2013 11:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You pick an example about 2 people applying for a job that requires physical labor. Go a little further with the people applying. Is it wrong to not hire someone who is confined to a wheelchair for a construction job but to hire someone who isn't? They have the same qualifications (according to you) after all.

When I'm talking about qualifications I'm talking about education.
You're talking about best fit for the job which just enhances my argument, not yours.

24-07-2013, 11:45 AM
(24-07-2013 11:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No, the reason behind it was racist yes, that made the action racist.

The separation (and the hiring) was based on RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both for different reasons though.
The fountains, racist.
The hiring, not racist.

24-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Re: Pulling the "race card" card
Now who is employing the tactics of a Theist? "that's different."

—Thomas Henry Huxley