Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)
(25-07-2013 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I figure if I am going to mention the poll of public opinion, I might as well make a public opinion poll Thumbsup

Yabut, there are exceptions.

If I am casting the parts in a play about race, for instance, race is a factor.

Unless, of course, I'm a post-modernist, ironic director. Big Grin

Let's assume for the sake of Chas, that the job is one capable of being done by anyone.

Fucking smartass. Drinking Beverage

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 09:27 AM
(25-07-2013 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, there are exceptions.

Let's assume for the sake of Chas, that the job is one capable of being done by anyone.

Thank you, that's the nicest thing you've said to me in a quite a while. Bowing

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-07-2013, 09:28 AM
OOH OOH! I have another example! And I have no idea why it took so long to come to my mind.

If your boss only hired Christians because he thought it was "good for business" would you be okay with that? Surely the same reasoning could be used that it is only a prejudiced decision if he hates non-christians..

The point is, if you use discrimination based on a category like race or religious opinion, you are being a backwards and intolerant bigot. And if you stand up for that person to do that, you are digging your own grave, and being a bigot.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-07-2013, 02:00 PM
When I go to a Chinese restaurant I don't want to see a round eye cooking the food. Jus' sayin'.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-07-2013, 02:22 PM
(25-07-2013 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, there are exceptions.

If the job can be done by anyone, does it require team work?

There are a lot of things to consider when hiring someone, and none of them have anything to do with race or beliefs.

If people have to act as a team, you want people who like to work as a team.

If there are various aspects to the skill, you want them to compliment each other in their strengths.

I don't like to waste my time waiting for someone, so I want punctual people.

And so on and so forth. Depending on what the job is, there are always a myriad of criteria.

Not discriminating is difficult. You may fond yourself discriminating against discrimination, such as I have a racially mixed group who has to act as a team. Now I have to weed out racists. They do come in all colors, too.

In theory, and in an ideal world, you hire only people who will like the job and have the skills needed. But people are complicated, and you can't just sit there and count equal numbers of every available race as the main reason for hiring. You can end up with a group of employees that work against each other and ruin the place.

It can be rather difficult.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-07-2013, 02:25 PM
(25-07-2013 02:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  When I go to a Chinese restaurant I don't want to see a round eye cooking the food. Jus' sayin'.

But do you care if it's Koreans running a sushi joint?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-07-2013, 02:26 PM
(25-07-2013 02:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Let's assume for the sake of Chas, that the job is one capable of being done by anyone.

If the job can be done by anyone, does it require team work?

There are a lot of things to consider when hiring someone, and none of them have anything to do with race or beliefs.

If there are various aspects to the skill, you want them to compliment each other in their strengths.

And so on and so forth. Depending on what the job is, there are always a myriad of criteria.

Not discriminating is difficult. You may fond yourself discriminating against discrimination, such as I have a racially mixed group who has to act as a team. Now I have to weed out racists. They do come in all colors, too.

In theory, and in an ideal world, you hire only people who will like the job and have the skills needed. But people are complicated, and you can't just sit there and count equal numbers of every available race as the main reason for hiring. You can end up with a group of employees that work against each other and ruin the place.

I do realize that, but people of one race are no more likely to be able to work together than people of multi-races. So, I don't understand the point you are trying to make. That if you already have a work force full of one race, it is more beneficial to just keep hiring people of that race since you think they will work better together?

That also sounds racist. And I mean that as "the people who I have working for me, are not capable of working with people who are different from them."

I am well aware of the issues of having to work with people who are incapable of working as a team, but their race doesn't matter for whether or not they are capable of teamwork.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-07-2013, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2013 04:11 PM by ridethespiral.)
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  When I go to a Chinese restaurant I don't want to see a round eye cooking the food. Jus' sayin'.

Nah you can't even tell the difference...Plus they always put a kimchee dish on the menu and kimchee is the shit!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2013, 03:06 PM
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Of course not. I don't eat sushi Big Grin

Seriously though, I wouldn't know any better for certain.

25-07-2013, 03:09 PM
(25-07-2013 02:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  If the job can be done by anyone, does it require team work?

I do realize that, but people of one race are no more likely to be able to work together than people of multi-races. So, I don't understand the point you are trying to make. That if you already have a work force full of one race, it is more beneficial to just keep hiring people of that race since you think they will work better together?

That also sounds racist. And I mean that as "the people who I have working for me, are not capable of working with people who are different from them."

I am well aware of the issues of having to work with people who are incapable of working as a team, but their race doesn't matter for whether or not they are capable of teamwork.

I said you then have to weed out racists, and that they come in all colors.

As luck has it, I work online and have people from all over, and I don't even know their races or ages or handicaps. I can't see them at all, I only see their work. Knowing them as persons comes long after the hiring, during social interactions, if any crop up. Why would I ask them what race they are? That in itself is discrimination then. I hire anyone who can do the job, and that is that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post