Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 08:29 AM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)
(26-07-2013 08:24 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 06:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Muffs has also contradicted your explanation by saying that he believes there is no such thing as a racist action, only racist intentions.

And the people being hired, are of the same ethnicity as the person doing the hiring. And not under the guise of "saving money" but instead, it is to make money off of the white people who don't like Indians who come to that station since there are no Indians.

1. I was defending the idea that the gas station guy, himself, isn't a racist. I wasn't defending Muffs! Who would want that job? Dodgy

2. But does that make HIM racist? Does his being white automatically make him racist for hiring only whites no matter the reason? That sounds...discriminatory. If the gas station guy buys a Sushi bar, and only hires Asians to work there, and continues to hire only whites for his gas station, is he then only part-time racist?

Damn it! I wanted to post a Clayton Bigsby vid, but all the Youtube ones are of poor quality Tongue

1) Fair enough, but all I know about the guy is what was said and what he does. And what he does is racist, whether intentional or not.

2) Yes, yes it does. It at least makes the actions racist. Even if his reason is for it to be "good business", it is racist. Catering to racists for profit by using racism, is racist.

And onto the Sushi bar bit, the Japanese are the ones who make sushi, so if someone hired someone of Chinese or Korean descent to do it, would you know? And sushi bars back in Chattanooga I used to frequent, hired white girls and latinos. Best damn sushi I ever had.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2013, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 09:31 AM by Dark Light.)
(26-07-2013 08:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:24 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  1. I was defending the idea that the gas station guy, himself, isn't a racist. I wasn't defending Muffs! Who would want that job? Dodgy

2. But does that make HIM racist? Does his being white automatically make him racist for hiring only whites no matter the reason? That sounds...discriminatory. If the gas station guy buys a Sushi bar, and only hires Asians to work there, and continues to hire only whites for his gas station, is he then only part-time racist?

Damn it! I wanted to post a Clayton Bigsby vid, but all the Youtube ones are of poor quality Tongue

1) Fair enough, but all I know about the guy is what was said and what he does. And what he does is racist, whether intentional or not.

2) Yes, yes it does. It at least makes the actions racist. Even if his reason is for it to be "good business", it is racist. Catering to racists for profit by using racism, is racist.

And onto the Sushi bar bit, the Japanese are the ones who make sushi, so if someone hired someone of Chinese or Korean descent to do it, would you know? And sushi bars back in Chattanooga I used to frequent, hired white girls and latinos. Best damn sushi I ever had.

This is why I voted that the statement in the poll is racist. It is technically racist no matter the reasoning. I think in a small way we are all racist to some extent. As I said (and most would agree with me if they are being honest) I would have preferred an Asian prepare my sushi. It may not taste any different, but if I know there is a white person making the sushi I would automatically be turned off on it a little. I might still enjoy the taste, and I might go back and give them my business, but all the while some part of me would think "this isn't genuine sushi". Is that racist? Yeah, a little. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
26-07-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/202552/a...book-meme/

This article is about one of the memes that made the rounds a few weeks back. It hits on the same issue as my original post.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-07-2013, 08:44 AM
(26-07-2013 08:40 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  1) Fair enough, but all I know about the guy is what was said and what he does. And what he does is racist, whether intentional or not.

This is why I voted that the statement in the poll is racist. It is technically racist no matter the reasoning. I think in a small way we are all racist to some extent. As I said (and most would agree with me if they are being honest) I would have preferred and Asian prepare my sushi. It may not taste any different, but if I know there is a white person making the sushi I would automatically be turned off on it a little. I might still enjoy the taste, and I might go back and give them my business, but all the while some part of me would think "this isn't genuine sushi". Is that racist? Yeah, a little. Thumbsup

I might have thought that about the sushi until I tried it at those restaurants. It's literally the best sushi I have ever had.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-07-2013, 08:56 AM
(26-07-2013 08:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:24 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  1. I was defending the idea that the gas station guy, himself, isn't a racist. I wasn't defending Muffs! Who would want that job? Dodgy

*more exasperation than attempting to be offensive (but probably not working)*

Seriously? It makes him racist? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, & that one stinks in mine. Mine probably stinks in yours, though, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If I'm told to pick a person of a specific color, and I'm called a racist only after it's found out the person I picked happens to be of the same color as me, that just seems ridiculous. Especially since I'd pick some other color if that's what I was told to do because, as I am not racist, I don't give a damn what color goes where. And if the same person calling me a racist for hiring a white guy when that's what I was told to do tells me I've done the right thing by hiring someone of a skin tone other than my own when THAT was what I was told to do, I'd have to call double-bullshit!

26-07-2013, 09:00 AM
(26-07-2013 08:40 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  1) Fair enough, but all I know about the guy is what was said and what he does. And what he does is racist, whether intentional or not.

This is why I voted that the statement in the poll is racist. It is technically racist no matter the reasoning. I think in a small way we are all racist to some extent. As I said (and most would agree with me if they are being honest) I would have preferred and Asian prepare my sushi. It may not taste any different, but if I know there is a white person making the sushi I would automatically be turned off on it a little. I might still enjoy the taste, and I might go back and give them my business, but all the while some part of me would think "this isn't genuine sushi". Is that racist? Yeah, a little. Thumbsup

I also voted yes, but I guess I had a picture of the guys from Duck Dynasty hiring for a spot in their Duck Call factory Tongue

26-07-2013, 09:04 AM
(26-07-2013 08:56 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

*more exasperation than attempting to be offensive (but probably not working)*

Seriously? It makes him racist? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, & that one stinks in mine. Mine probably stinks in yours, though, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If I'm told to pick a person of a specific color, and I'm called a racist only after it's found out the person I picked happens to be of the same color as me, that just seems ridiculous. Especially since I'd pick some other color if that's what I was told to do because, as I am not racist, I don't give a damn what color goes where. And if the same person calling me a racist for hiring a white guy when that's what I was told to do tells me I've done the right thing by hiring someone of a skin tone other than my own when THAT was what I was told to do, I'd have to call double-bullshit!

No one was told to pick someone based on color. The person doing the hiring selected them.

And it wasn't a double blind hiring process either. He didn't just get to hear them and see their resume before finding out their race.

Muffs specifically said that if an Indian walked in looking for a job, he already knew he wouldn't get hired.

That. Is. Racist.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-07-2013, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 09:22 AM by TheGulegon.)
(26-07-2013 09:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:56 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  *more exasperation than attempting to be offensive (but probably not working)*

No one was told to pick someone based on color. The person doing the hiring selected them.

And it wasn't a double blind hiring process either. He didn't just get to hear them and see their resume before finding out their race.

Muffs specifically said that if an Indian walked in looking for a job, he already knew he wouldn't get hired.

That. Is. Racist.

That is racist; I agree. He might not be, though, if he made his decision ON which race is good for business BASED on economic value. That's all I'm saying.
Hypothetical gas station guy would hire nothing but Indians if that's what the clientele demanded to be served by.

26-07-2013, 09:21 AM
(26-07-2013 09:17 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 09:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No one was told to pick someone based on color. The person doing the hiring selected them.

That. Is. Racist.

That is racist; I agree. He might not be, though, if he made his decision ON which race is good for business BASED on economic value. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not sure I specifically said he was racist. But I certainly said he was at the very least enabling racism.

In the same way that Chik-fil-a saying they did not support gay marriage wasn't them necessarily being bigots, but they provide support for them.

In the same way that people who identify as moderate christians or muslims or whatever, provide defense for the radicals and extremists.

It's being on the wrong side for different, but still wrong, reasons and lending credibility to it by association.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-07-2013, 09:28 AM
(26-07-2013 09:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 09:17 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  That is racist; I agree. He might not be, though, if he made his decision ON which race is good for business BASED on economic value. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not sure I specifically said he was racist. But I certainly said he was at the very least enabling racism.

In the same way that Chik-fil-a saying they did not support gay marriage wasn't them necessarily being bigots, but they provide support for them.

In the same way that people who identify as moderate christians or muslims or whatever, provide defense for the radicals and extremists.

It's being on the wrong side for different, but still wrong, reasons and lending credibility to it by association.

Then I hope it would be considered just as racist for an Indian sushi bar owner to hire nothing but Asians due to the white customers demand for authenticity!