Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)
(28-07-2013 06:26 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 06:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Boy

sugar daddy
Giggle u guys r odd in all the right ways
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Life's too long to be serious.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I wonder if I'm the only blind person here?
28-07-2013, 06:40 PM
(28-07-2013 06:37 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I wonder if I'm the only blind person here?

Color blind? Tongue

28-07-2013, 06:45 PM
(28-07-2013 06:40 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 06:37 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I wonder if I'm the only blind person here?

Color blind? Tongue

Severe nerve damage from hydrocephalus I see movement and when lights are on but its mostly shadows
28-07-2013, 06:47 PM
U know white cane, dark glasses? The whole nine yards. Talk tech what nots.
29-07-2013, 06:45 AM
(28-07-2013 06:45 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Severe nerve damage from hydrocephalus I see movement and when lights are on but its mostly shadows

You should get ocular implants when they become more widely available. Thumbsup

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
29-07-2013, 09:03 AM
(28-07-2013 05:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's not about gratification but recognition. You can't help in resolving a problem, if people can't identify the problem.

However, most people can identify the problem, they just have different explanations as to what is happening.

You can call it racism if you want, but the most that will probably get you is people denying that they are racist and calling end of conversation. Bias, discrimination, prejudice, etc., might be a different story, but that is something I think has to be held as separate and distinct from racism-- it's not something you can get rid of completely, but you can get people to recognize it, accept it and alter their behavior accordingly.

The problem we have in America, is really a political, right-wing type of denial, and that is the argument you are looking at having. It's more how some people view society in general, and how they think it should operate, not requiring racism. Racism gave us the situation we have today, but keeping it that way simply requires the same arguments and policies that would be made if we were a nation where every person looked similar.

You really can't put any thing past humans, when it comes to arbitrarily picking a characteristic of other people to use as fuel for discrimination. So, recognizing bias and irrationality, altering behavior accordingly and developing a society that is truly free, pretty much takes care of the problems. It's not going to happen, but you can take your chances between that and getting people to admit to being racist.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
29-07-2013, 09:15 AM
(29-07-2013 09:03 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's not about gratification but recognition. You can't help in resolving a problem, if people can't identify the problem.

However, most people can identify the problem, they just have different explanations as to what is happening.

You can call it racism if you want, but the most that will probably get you is people denying that they are racist and calling end of conversation. Bias, discrimination, prejudice, etc., might be a different story, but that is something I think has to be held as separate and distinct from racism-- it's not something you can get rid of completely, but you can get people to recognize it, accept it and alter their behavior accordingly.

The problem we have in America, is really a political, right-wing type of denial, and that is the argument you are looking at having. It's more how some people view society in general, and how they think it should operate, not requiring racism. Racism gave us the situation we have today, but keeping it that way simply requires the same arguments and policies that would be made if we were a nation where every person looked similar.

You really can't put any thing past humans, when it comes to arbitrarily picking a characteristic of other people to use as fuel for discrimination. So, recognizing bias and irrationality, altering behavior accordingly and developing a society that is truly free, pretty much takes care of the problems. It's not going to happen, but you can take your chances between that and getting people to admit to being racist.

People certainly do explain it in different ways, but not calling it what it is (for whatever reason) does not help anything.

Labeling it as prejudice or discrimination is true, but only a partial truth. It is a racial discrimination and is based in some form of racial prejudice. It is racism. Whether of ill intent or not.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 09:16 AM
And if the poll on this thread is even a subset of the forum population, then people can both identify a problem and be comfortable labeling it as "racist."

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley