Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 10:42 AM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)
(29-07-2013 06:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 06:45 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Severe nerve damage from hydrocephalus I see movement and when lights are on but its mostly shadows

You should get ocular implants when they become more widely available. Thumbsup

my doc says the actual organs (eyes) r perfectly healthy, it's my nerves that r dying
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 11:07 AM
(29-07-2013 10:42 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 06:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You should get ocular implants when they become more widely available. Thumbsup

my doc says the actual organs (eyes) r perfectly healthy, it's my nerves that r dying

It is predicted that later versions of the ocular implants will simulate nerve tissue, so nerves may not even be a problem. At the rate that the technology is growing, it should only be a few years. You could also look forward to stem cell treatment, as repairing your nerves might also be a viable option in the near future.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 01:46 PM
(29-07-2013 11:07 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 10:42 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  my doc says the actual organs (eyes) r perfectly healthy, it's my nerves that r dying

It is predicted that later versions of the ocular implants will simulate nerve tissue, so nerves may not even be a problem. At the rate that the technology is growing, it should only be a few years. You could also look forward to stem cell treatment, as repairing your nerves might also be a viable option in the near future.

These may sound like long shots, BQ, but Logica has it right - the technology is advancing at ever greater rates. Nerve regeneration may be just around the corner.

Reasonable hope is reasonable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-07-2013, 05:45 PM
(29-07-2013 09:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  People certainly do explain it in different ways, but not calling it what it is (for whatever reason) does not help anything.

Labeling it as prejudice or discrimination is true, but only a partial truth. It is a racial discrimination and is based in some form of racial prejudice. It is racism. Whether of ill intent or not.

It's not "a partial truth", and that doesn't even make sense. The part in question was true. The racism part was not provided for, and thus is still in question. People are not going to admit to being racist or something being racist, when they genuinely hold sentiments to the contrary.

Showing racism is like showing that god doesn't exist, which makes that the opposite of helpful. You can't start a grand conversation with something that you are not going to be able to substantiate beyond throwing out random claims and expanding terms in a malicious and self-serving way-- it's racist, because calling you a racists hurts your feelings and demeans your character a lot more than calling you, or your actions, bias, prejudice or discriminatory.

Another thing is that racism is something that should be distinguished from discrimination and/or prejudice, racial or otherwise. Racism is a distinct ideology. You can have the discrimination or prejudice based on some kind of implicit or not very exactly defined concept of differences between humans, without the ideological justification. Racism, in my view, is the ideological justification for the discrimination and prejudice.

However, just regardless, even if you viewed racism as synonymous with prejudice and discrimination, that would make the substitution of the term even more blatantly malicious and unnecessary.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
29-07-2013, 05:49 PM
(29-07-2013 09:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And if the poll on this thread is even a subset of the forum population, then people can both identify a problem and be comfortable labeling it as "racist."

I not concerned with those calling others names. I concerned with those being called names.

Obviously people would be comfortable labeling something as racism, as long it is those other people and not them.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
29-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Re: Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)
Calling it what it is, is nothing more than accurately describing it. I don't care if I hurt the feelings of someone in the process of doing so. That's irrelevant to the truth of the matter.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I don't understand the point you think you are making. Do you also believe that an action cannot be racist and that racism is strictly an ideology? If so, you are just plain wrong.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 06:24 PM
(29-07-2013 05:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Calling it what it is, is nothing more than accurately describing it. I don't care if I hurt the feelings of someone in the process of doing so. That's irrelevant to the truth of the matter.

The truth of the matter isn't important. A constructive conversation is what is important.

But, even if you knew there was racism, that wouldn't help in any meaningful way.

It would kind of be like someone stealing your car, and worrying about that person being called a thief. Shouldn't you be worried about getting your car back?

Quote:I don't understand the point you think you are making. Do you also believe that an action cannot be racist and that racism is strictly an ideology? If so, you are just plain wrong.

I'll just say that I can't see how you could use 'racist' to describe any thing other than a person or their views/ideology.

You'd have to explain what you are thinking, because it's coming off as nonsensical.

Calling an action racist seems racist.

29-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Recognition of racism and racist actions, must happen before a constructive conversation can begin. I think that first and most necessary step for a racist to realize their racism.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 06:30 PM
(29-07-2013 06:24 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 05:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Calling it what it is, is nothing more than accurately describing it. I don't care if I hurt the feelings of someone in the process of doing so. That's irrelevant to the truth of the matter.

The truth of the matter isn't important. A constructive conversation is what is important.

But, even if you knew there was racism, that wouldn't help in any meaningful way.

It would kind of be like someone stealing your car, and worrying about that person being called a thief. Shouldn't you be worried about getting your car back?

Quote:I don't understand the point you think you are making. Do you also believe that an action cannot be racist and that racism is strictly an ideology? If so, you are just plain wrong.

I'll just say that I can't see how you could use 'racist' to describe any thing other than a person or their views/ideology.

You'd have to explain what you are thinking, because it's coming off as nonsensical.

Calling an action racist seems racist.

Que? Are you saying that motive is irrelevant, because I'm pretty sure a court of law would disagree. In fact they have these things, they call them 'hate crimes' or something like that. Dodgy

Like I've said about a thousand times in this thread I'm not for race based legislation and I prefer economic solutions.... but refusing to acknowledge racism outright? What kind of bassakwards position is that?

[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post