Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card
You may not have mentioned the NAACP, but I did, since the OP did.

The argument about hillbillies, no matter how valid, looks like a red herring to me because it's less about race (as in skin color) than culture and geography, whereas black people are identifiable (and discriminated against) for the color of their skin (visible before they start talking, and for that matter, I'd say that Blacks with southern accents are also subject to being treated like morons due to stereotypes).

Does the existence of such groups make an issue of race? Yes, of course it does, but it only does that because people are discriminated against because of it. If people weren't racist, it wouldn't need to exist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
19-07-2013, 09:19 PM
(19-07-2013 09:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 08:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Read my last post, it's not the NAACP that causes reverse discrimination it's half assed solutions that barely help anyone. There is enough to go around when you consider that 2% own more than 50% of the wealth in this nation and that we waste billions upon billions on a regular basis.

Have you ever considered that you are being played, like the coal barrens would play the Irish union against the black unions.? That a people divided cannot stand? We have to have a little trust that an organization designed to protect poor black people isn't out to get us.

My post wasn't in response to you, it was in response to amyb. Also, I never even mentioned the NAACP. BUUUT, since you did...I think the NAACP does more harm than good. Sometimes it helps people, but it always increases racial tension.

This aint' no dual son! It's a free for all Argue

Tongue

I agree with you it does perpetuate division (see my first post) I just don't think it is the time to expect such things from the black community. The whole country needs to cool off and homogenize a bit 50 years is not a very long time when we are talking about society and culture...but the internet will accelerate things. Patience.

19-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Red herring? Is it your opinion that it is okay, or at least less repugnant to discriminate based on ethnicity as opposed to race? That is what is sounds like.

I would call a black hillbilly a double minority. By your position on this issue I would think that you would want them to have two groups to run to. It doesn't invalidate what I have said.

Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 09:22 PM
(19-07-2013 09:15 PM)amyb Wrote:  You may not have mentioned the NAACP, but I did, since the OP did.

The argument about hillbillies, no matter how valid, looks like a red herring to me because it's less about race (as in skin color) than culture and geography, whereas black people are identifiable (and discriminated against) for the color of their skin (visible before they start talking, and for that matter, I'd say that Blacks with southern accents are also subject to being treated like morons due to stereotypes).

Does the existence of such groups make an issue of race? Yes, of course it does, but it only does that because people are discriminated against because of it. If people weren't racist, it wouldn't need to exist.

Agreed but don't forget that the inner city is no better off than the Ozarks in terms of educational quality, good jobs, etc. Economic recovery and investment is the road to black recovery, is the road to white recovery.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
19-07-2013, 09:29 PM
(19-07-2013 09:19 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I agree with you it does perpetuate division (see my first post) I just don't think it is the time to expect such things from the black community. The whole country needs to cool off and homogenize a bit 50 years is not a very long time when we are talking about society and culture...but the internet will accelerate things. Patience.

Just because I recognize the problem as a problem doesn't make me impatient anymore than it makes you impatient. I'll be long dead before such issues are a thing of the past in the minds of the people. I know that. Well...unless I can get someone to turn me into a vampire. If you know one, give me a PM, maybe we can make a deal. Anyhow, I think my assessment is accurate...otherwise it wouldn't be my assessment. Since this is thread is the place for such opinions to be espoused, I did so. That is all.

19-07-2013, 09:34 PM
(19-07-2013 09:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Red herring? Is it your opinion that it is okay, or at least less repugnant to discriminate based on ethnicity as opposed to race? That is what is sounds like.

I would call a black hillbilly a double minority. By your position on this issue I would think that you would want them to have two groups to run to. It doesn't invalidate what I have said.

I already said that I have never seen or experienced "hillbilly discrimination" of the type you're talking about, so I'm not capable of saying much on the topic. And first you said that hillbilly discrimination was only against whites and made worse by the existence of the NAACP (or something like that) and now you're admitting it also applies to black people. The reason I mention this is because the topic is about race. I'm not saying discrimination is ok, I'm saying I don't think this is addressed by or relevant to the topic.

I said "red herring" because you seem to be trying to change the topic or distract from the topic of things like black discrimination by saying they aren't the only people who have problems. I don't think anyone said they were.
19-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Have you experienced black discrimination? Me either, but I get it. I can say a lot on the topic. Comparing one group to a similar group with much different treatment is changing the subject? I give up. Also, never did I ever say anything even remotely close to "blacks cannot be hillbillies." If you can find something similar to what you have accused me of saying, then please quote me on it. Both groups are similar, not mutually exclusive. Rare, but not mutually exclusive.

Fuck me! Why do I even venture into the politics section? All I do is get pissed off and irritated.

19-07-2013, 10:52 PM
(19-07-2013 10:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fuck me! Why do I even venture into the politics section? All I do is get pissed off and irritated.

I thought politics was invented to piss people off. Unsure

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
22-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Re: Pulling the "race card" card
Some replies seemed to get a little heated, so allow me to reiterate my point with an example we are probably much more familiar with.

Christians talk all the time about how they are being persecuted and discriminated against because other groups who oppose them or their views, are organizing. They call atheism a religion because atheists criticize religion, which reminds me of people criticizing groups like the NAACP. The religious stand up and say that the government reinforcing laws that don't criminalize homosexuality discriminates against them. I see this as comparable to white people saying that laws that criminalize discrimination, somehow discriminate against white people. It's all bollocks.

In an ideal country, we would not have to have such laws. But we don't live in an ideal country and assholes still exist and weasel their way into power, or buy it.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 12:06 PM
(22-07-2013 10:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Some replies seemed to get a little heated, so allow me to reiterate my point with an example we are probably much more familiar with.

Christians talk all the time about how they are being persecuted and discriminated against because other groups who oppose them or their views, are organizing. They call atheism a religion because atheists criticize religion, which reminds me of people criticizing groups like the NAACP. The religious stand up and say that the government reinforcing laws that don't criminalize homosexuality discriminates against them. I see this as comparable to white people saying that laws that criminalize discrimination, somehow discriminate against white people. It's all bollocks.

In an ideal country, we would not have to have such laws. But we don't live in an ideal country and assholes still exist and weasel their way into power, or buy it.

I think you are missing the point TBD. It is not the same as your example. Most people don't have issue with laws that prohibit discrimination. The issue is when laws are designed to discriminate against the majority in favor of the minority. Discrimination is wrong no matter who is being discriminated against. Two wrongs don't make a right.