Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card
(19-07-2013 10:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fuck me! Why do I even venture into the politics section? All I do is get pissed off and irritated.

I don't know why either. It is not like libertarians have many compelling arguments. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-07-2013, 12:49 PM
(22-07-2013 12:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 10:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Some replies seemed to get a little heated, so allow me to reiterate my point with an example we are probably much more familiar with.

Christians talk all the time about how they are being persecuted and discriminated against because other groups who oppose them or their views, are organizing. They call atheism a religion because atheists criticize religion, which reminds me of people criticizing groups like the NAACP. The religious stand up and say that the government reinforcing laws that don't criminalize homosexuality discriminates against them. I see this as comparable to white people saying that laws that criminalize discrimination, somehow discriminate against white people. It's all bollocks.

In an ideal country, we would not have to have such laws. But we don't live in an ideal country and assholes still exist and weasel their way into power, or buy it.

I think you are missing the point TBD. It is not the same as your example. Most people don't have issue with laws that prohibit discrimination. The issue is when laws are designed to discriminate against the majority in favor of the minority. Discrimination is wrong no matter who is being discriminated against. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't see how the laws discriminate against the majority either. The laws say that applicants must be considered from multiple races and ethnic backgrounds. But does not say that hiring must be done on racial lines. Take any faculty search at a major university. They are required to interview women, men, and a diversity of applicants based on ethnicity. But they can't make someone from every race or gender apply. And in the end, the person best suited for the job still gets it.

And I think my example is quite spot on. The majority isn't allowed to keep laws (or a lack of them) in place that suit them.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 02:25 PM
So what about cases I've heard about where college admission scores were different based on race? Should there be lower academic standards based upon someones race or background? I don't think there should.

But I also don't think this is discriminating against whites. Just against people who work harder.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Let me put it this way for the admission standards, Syracuse implemented a program that basically said that any local high school student who graduated, could go to Syracuse University for free. Guess what happened to their test scores per admission?

And test scores as a whole are lower among minorities because of the inequality of our social and education systems. Your comment seems to imply that minorities score lower because they are minorities.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 02:38 PM
(22-07-2013 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your comment seems to imply that minorities score lower because they are minorities.

I must be a racist and didn't know it? Thanks for pointing that out!

Let's not be so touchy ok? Are you for or a'gin raced-based admissions?
22-07-2013, 02:40 PM
(22-07-2013 02:25 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  So what about cases I've heard about where college admission scores were different based on race? Should there be lower academic standards based upon someones race or background? I don't think there should.

But I also don't think this is discriminating against whites. Just against people who work harder.

(22-07-2013 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Let me put it this way for the admission standards, Syracuse implemented a program that basically said that any local high school student who graduated, could go to Syracuse University for free. Guess what happened to their test scores per admission?

And test scores as a whole are lower among minorities because of the inequality of our social and education systems. Your comment seems to imply that minorities score lower because they are minorities.

See my post on the subject. Their test scores are miserable because their primary/high schools are miserable. If you don't lower the admission standards they can't get in at all. Which defeats the purpose of giving away scholarships for publicities sake.

22-07-2013, 02:41 PM
(22-07-2013 02:38 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your comment seems to imply that minorities score lower because they are minorities.

I must be a racist and didn't know it? Thanks for pointing that out!

I didn't say you were racist, but I don't think you have considered the consequences of what you say carefully.

I am against admissions or hirings based upon the whims and opinions of people who carry subjective opinions about people based on anything other than who they are and how hard they work and how intelligent they are.

And it must be recognized that in admitting people or hiring people, more than just test scores and GPAs matter.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 03:00 PM
(22-07-2013 02:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 02:38 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I must be a racist and didn't know it? Thanks for pointing that out!

I didn't say you were racist, but I don't think you have considered the consequences of what you say carefully.

I am against admissions or hirings based upon the whims and opinions of people who carry subjective opinions about people based on anything other than who they are and how hard they work and how intelligent they are.

And it must be recognized that in admitting people or hiring people, more than just test scores and GPAs matter.

OK. No offense taken.

So you are FOR raced based admissions. Yes?
22-07-2013, 03:23 PM
TBD,

The government, as well as any company that have federal contracts are required to give more points toward minorities. This means that they are legally required to hire an equally competent person who is a minority over a white person. That is discrimination. There are similar things going for many college admissions as well.

Race, and ethnicity shouldn't be a determining factor when giving jobs. There should be no box that asks the color of your skin. That information is almost always irrelevant.

22-07-2013, 03:50 PM
(22-07-2013 03:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  TBD,

The government, as well as any company that have federal contracts are required to give more points toward minorities. This means that they are legally required to hire an equally competent person who is a minority over a white person. That is discrimination. There are similar things going for many college admissions as well.

Race, and ethnicity shouldn't be a determining factor when giving jobs. There should be no box that asks the color of your skin. That information is almost always irrelevant.

Can you give me a link to support that assertion? I am interested to find the legislation that mandates that.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]