Poll: Is it racist to NOT hire someone specifically because of their race and to only hire people of the same race?
Yes
No
No opinion
[Show Results]

Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Re: Pulling the "race card" card
I am for admission standards that promote a representation of the diversity of the culture we live in. And that means that gender, ethnicity, and religious opinion factor in. So as to avoid unintentional discrimination of any given group.

There are clearly private institutes that only admit women, or people of one race, or only of one religious opinion. I don't support those institutions but some of them are great places to get an education.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 03:55 PM
The short answer is that I am not, but I don't see public institutions doing it.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Pulling the "race card" card
Did you guys hear about the racist Mexican?

He joined the Que Que Que.

BOOM
22-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Glad you brought something worthwhile as usual to the discussion.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-07-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: Pulling the "race card" card
(22-07-2013 04:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Glad you brought something worthwhile as usual to the discussion.

That's his trademark.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
22-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Indeed, I too would like to see the legislation that says the government should hire minorities at the expense of white people.

If what you are referring to is a system that requires people be weighted by more than just test scores in order to aid people in making it past the application process since test scores most closely correlate with income level, then I support that system.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 04:15 PM
And while I don't support institutions that use gender, ethnicity, or religious opinion as criteria for entrance, I don't know of any (save some religious institutions) that use their curriculum to support themselves while teaching discrimination of outsiders.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 04:26 PM
The issue around hiring is, there is a line between being racist and being a good businessmen.
I think people may sometimes mistake racism for good business.

And yes I know how wrong that is blah blah blah, but that's the world we live in.
When I worked in the gas station my boss only hired white people. The other gas stations in town all had full Indian staff.
I can't remember how many times people commented to me about how they came to the gas station I worked at for that exact reason.
Is that racist or is that wanting to understand the person behind the counter and support local business?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Did people apply who weren't white who weren't hired because of their race?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Plenty of people were interviewed from many different ethnicity's.
White people were the majority of interviewees sure, but it was a small farming predominantly white town so..
But yea, if an Indian guy came in for an interview I knew there was no way he was gonna be hired.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.