Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: Punishment
(09-06-2016 06:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:39 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Religion invented revenge.

Humans invented religion. Humans are animals. Animals invented revenge.

OK... we'll just agree then that revenge came from the same sick mind as religion...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
(08-06-2016 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am thinking that punishment is a religious concept. It goes along with sin, free will bestowed by god, and a vengeful god.

Increasingly I want to blame religion for it.

I think it's probably simplistic. Leaving out sadists, people punish others to try and give incentive to behave a certain way. They can also bribe and/or instruct and hope the other person follows. I think it's more about behavior control than anything else.

...of course, I think a lot of the particulars of different religions were also about behavior control, so, there's that. I wouldn't say religion caused punishment, but when making nonfalsifiable claims, religion certainly benefits from punishment. It's like the old adage that the Catholic church lost its best argument when it stopped executing heretics.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-06-2016, 05:33 PM
A punishment that doesn't fit the crime is an injustice.
09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
(09-06-2016 05:33 PM)carusmm Wrote:  A punishment that doesn't fit the crime is an injustice.

You are totally missing the point.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-06-2016, 06:34 PM
(09-06-2016 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:33 PM)carusmm Wrote:  A punishment that doesn't fit the crime is an injustice.

You are totally missing the point.

What is the point, except semantics?
09-06-2016, 06:36 PM
(09-06-2016 06:34 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  You are totally missing the point.

What is the point, except semantics?

The point is the question whether punishment is a general human construct or whether it is founded in religion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-06-2016, 08:49 PM
(09-06-2016 06:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:34 PM)carusmm Wrote:  What is the point, except semantics?

The point is the question whether punishment is a general human construct or whether it is founded in religion.

What makes you think it's human?
10-06-2016, 02:09 AM
Judicial courts all require some form of oath and work under the tutalidge or doctrine of religious text. Punishment is deeply rooted in religious doctrine. its the do as I say or else GOD WILL PUNISH YOU, therby absolving the individual or group concience of any responsibility, its not my fault I did it for God.
This is unique among humans, who paradoxicaly go to ever more inventive lengths to show how severe gods punishments can be. life incarceration gas chambers, hanging, de capitation, lethal injection, electrocution, in fact it seems that the more religion becomes involved the greater the range of punishments.#
what might be an interesting survey is the degree of guilty verdict in courts delivered according to faith evidencing the believability of witnesses and defendants??

Seeking the answer to one simple question. Was Jesus Christ realy the son of A God, or just a mortal man in the grip of a mental illness? http://www.themanicmessiah.com
10-06-2016, 02:27 AM
(10-06-2016 02:09 AM)Walterego Wrote:  Judicial courts all require some form of oath and work under the tutalidge or doctrine of religious text. Punishment is deeply rooted in religious doctrine. its the do as I say or else GOD WILL PUNISH YOU, therby absolving the individual or group concience of any responsibility, its not my fault I did it for God.
This is unique among humans, who paradoxicaly go to ever more inventive lengths to show how severe gods punishments can be. life incarceration gas chambers, hanging, de capitation, lethal injection, electrocution, in fact it seems that the more religion becomes involved the greater the range of punishments.#
what might be an interesting survey is the degree of guilty verdict in courts delivered according to faith evidencing the believability of witnesses and defendants??

A very slanted view of society. To me, punishment is not divine or holy, it only fits a purpose or it doesn't.
10-06-2016, 04:26 AM
(10-06-2016 02:27 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:09 AM)Walterego Wrote:  Judicial courts all require some form of oath and work under the tutalidge or doctrine of religious text. Punishment is deeply rooted in religious doctrine. its the do as I say or else GOD WILL PUNISH YOU, therby absolving the individual or group concience of any responsibility, its not my fault I did it for God.

A very slanted view of society. To me, punishment is not divine or holy, it only fits a purpose or it doesn't.

Fair Comment: So lets take all the religious texts out of the justice system.

Seeking the answer to one simple question. Was Jesus Christ realy the son of A God, or just a mortal man in the grip of a mental illness? http://www.themanicmessiah.com