50% 0% 0 0%
50% plus 12.50% 1 12.50%
100% 12.50% 1 12.50%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Purgatorial Evolution.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2014 06:31 PM by Mr Woof.)
Purgatorial Evolution.
Our finite time is limited in keeping with our developing cognition and this leads us to see the end in physical death.....Total Oblivion.
Catholicism taught of a purgatorial state where souls were given some additional tough love to further their moral being.. ( towards what is the $69 question...)
As for eastern religion Burns thought that if reincarnation existed "we must be the lunatic asylum for the Cosmos"...
Dawkins posited the loose idea of an evolved God..... see The God Delusion.
As part of an eternity pre Big Bang could 'we' or more succinctly an evolving part of our individual consciousness, persist in some higher largely ineffable evolutionary course of events that could, in some way be meaningful ?
Please feel free to vote in this survey.....God wont strike you down, nor will any one laugh if you go all the way anti~~~~~~~~~~~~~~No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: Purgatorial Evolution.
The idea of a universal purpose isn't necessary to the success of humanity or the individual, nor is any purpose at all, but we can still choose one or more if we want because we can. But the idea of there being a universal purpose is a great idea, we just cannot be tempted to presume what it is because when we do that we start behaving like maniacs.

Purpose denotes intelligence, humans assign purpose because we seek meaning, it is a perspective thing, and although I don't think the universe is intelligent or has perspective, except in the sense we are part of it and do, I do not believe in chaos; we can calculate cause/effect phenomena, and if we cant we one day will, we just need to find the equation.

So in my opinion the idea that a universal purpose doesn't exist is quite ridiculous, with or without a God, because I think purpose is really just a lack of chaos, not a presence of intelligence or perspective, and to distinguish it from function; purpose is the law that is to be obeyed, function is the act of obeying it.
[+] 1 user Likes Ray Butler's post
18-08-2014, 01:08 AM
There is no reason, given what we currently know of how the human body and the rest of the universe works, that when my body's metabolism ends at death that my neurological processes will continue on in some fashion; let alone with the retention of my own identity or sense of self. I mean, it's not like we get flashbacks or experience the memories of a cow when we eat steak...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-08-2014, 01:19 AM
(18-08-2014 01:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  There is no reason, given what we currently know of how the human body and the rest of the universe works, that when my body's metabolism ends at death that my neurological processes will continue on in some fashion; let alone with the retention of my own identity or sense of self. I mean, it's not like we get flashbacks or experience the memories of a cow when we eat steak...

There is less reason to factor death into a position on life; death doesn't negate life, but rather; although death is a fact of life and is observable from our perspective, it doesn't really occur to us personally, because when it does we are not in a position to register the experience. So death is ultimately just an idea, while life is an occurrence, Form mitigating Substance is a reversal of order, quite unnatural, and given a life of no purpose, quite irrational considering there is no reason to do it.
18-08-2014, 02:05 AM
(18-08-2014 01:00 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  The idea of a universal purpose isn't necessary to the success of humanity or the individual, nor is any purpose at all, but we can still choose one or more if we want because we can. But the idea of there being a universal purpose is a great idea, we just cannot be tempted to presume what it is because when we do that we start behaving like maniacs.

Purpose denotes intelligence, humans assign purpose because we seek meaning, it is a perspective thing, and although I don't think the universe is intelligent or has perspective, except in the sense we are part of it and do, I do not believe in chaos; we can calculate cause/effect phenomena, and if we cant we one day will, we just need to find the equation.

So in my opinion the idea that a universal purpose doesn't exist is quite ridiculous, with or without a God, because I think purpose is really just a lack of chaos, not a presence of intelligence or perspective, and to distinguish it from function; purpose is the law that is to be obeyed, function is the act of obeying it.

Exactly! We can posit a supernatural order for the good without affiliating ourselves to the directive of any organized religion. In doing this we might simply ponder on any after death scenarios, the implications etc, without taking on board any silly speculative stuff.
18-08-2014, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 03:46 AM by Ray Butler.)
Mr Woof

First we need the pride of ego to discipline impulses (fears and desires) at will, then we need as much of the observable details of the knowledge of a given subject that we can, these two rules allow us to develop informed applications of knowledge, and to recognise the relevance of it in the first place. This is important where life and behaviour are important, but life is not always so serious, so we can still entertain indulgences and curiosities, we just shouldn't let those recreations interfere with the real work.
18-08-2014, 05:04 PM
What I allude to is a potential metaphysical evolution through which consciousness continues to evolve. The apologists for religion concern themselves, very largely,with the notions of a betterment locked within a secular mind set. The whole, or ever evolving issue, may be far more profound than this.
Conversely the hard line atheist sees all consciousness ending in death as our accrued scientific knowledge has no evidence to prove otherwise.