Purpose/Pefection problem?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Purpose/Pefection problem?
So this is my own thought, which probably means someone smarter already thought of it and someone else shot it down. Thus I present it here to find out where I'm going wrong.

God is often defined as perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, and having a purpose for the universe. However it occurs to me that such a being would have no need of a universe to accomplish whatever the purpose is. That is, an omnipotent, omniscient, perfect being would skip this whole universe thing and go straight to whatever final result was desired.

That's it. Shred away. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Purpose/Pefection problem?
What exactly is your question? Or, I am not quite getting where you are getting at exactly. Could you elaborate?Huh

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Sorry. It's late here. I mean that given my argument wouldn't that imply that an omniscient, omnipotent entity that created the universe with a purpose could not also be perfect as having all four traits is contradictory? Or is there a logic error in there somewhere?
10-10-2014, 11:22 PM
I know you can't prove a negative, but in this case the definition alone can do that and disprove yahweh

if god is perfect and can do anything then why the *** does he need the apologists to prove his existence, by their very definition their god doesn't exist because her needs idiots to prove his existence instead of showing his face to us which should be easy
10-10-2014, 11:26 PM
tell an omnipotent, omniscient god that you will believe in him/her if he can get lost.

Tell an omnipotent god to create something even he can't destroy.
10-10-2014, 11:32 PM
(10-10-2014 10:56 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  So this is my own thought, which probably means someone smarter already thought of it and someone else shot it down. Thus I present it here to find out where I'm going wrong.

God is often defined as perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, and having a purpose for the universe. However it occurs to me that such a being would have no need of a universe to accomplish whatever the purpose is. That is, an omnipotent, omniscient, perfect being would skip this whole universe thing and go straight to whatever final result was desired.

That's it. Shred away. Smile

The only point I could imagine is curiosity.

But the omniscient thing sort of fucks up that theory...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Ask the omniscient god about unknown unknowns.

Ask the omipotent god to make you more powerful then himself.

both are impossible for either.

Ask the all loving god to send you to hell.

That proves he does not love you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-10-2014, 04:49 AM
*mumble*mumble* mysterious ways *mumble*mumble*

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-10-2014, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 05:14 AM by TheInquisition.)
Yes, there is no reason for a perfect being to create an imperfect creation, the only reason the bible gives is that we're to give him glory and praise. We were created for his personality defects.

How ironic that atheists are accused of having no meaning to their existence, yet the meaning to the theist's existence is to grovel in abject slavery to a god with insecurity issues.

The person who rejects this fantasy is free to experience the joys that life has to offer, free from guilt or fear.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-10-2014, 06:55 AM
I just saw a debate recently where this point was made; I'll have to try to find it. The only response the theist had was that we were unable (and unworthy) to discern god's motives.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP