Purpose of life & intelligent design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 04:10 PM
RE: Purpose of life & intelligent design
I think the only purpose of life is whatever you wish it to be so, nothing more, nothing less.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2015, 05:48 PM
(29-04-2015 02:41 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 02:40 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You know how you can positively prove that there is no "intelligent design"?????

Because --

If somebody was going to tool up and build an entire universe -- and include life into the matrix of reality --- that on those planets that have life --- you'd include an animal that urinated a decent single malt whiskey?????

I sure the fuck would have....

It's an organism called yeast Wink

Alcohol is to a single malt whiskey, what female is to Catherine Zeta Jones... (or whatever woman strikes your fancy)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-04-2015, 09:18 PM
(29-04-2015 02:16 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 01:18 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Perfection to them = the ancient concept of the "good" = pursuing, knowing and become virtuous, virtue is that which is the excellence of an instance. Virtue of a knife would be its sharpness, of a table its "tableness" of humans I think it is in morals. It was circular because their morals derided from tradition which involves a tradition of religion.

Sounds like their concept of god is the essence of deepity.Big Grin

Woot!! A Daniel Dennett fan. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like xieulong's post
30-04-2015, 06:21 AM
(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  but right now I'm thinking that maths is just an abstract human invention we use in order to measure, examine and then explain the physical world, isn't it?

Yes. Math is just the formalized language we used to describe certain behaviors of the universe.

(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Either way, do you think there is a purpose to life? I've always thought that there is no purpose except the one you make yourself.

I agree that it is what we make it.

(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Could god exist as an abstract, and that abstract being the foundation of the universe, an ultimate body of everything, and every object and living creature's actual is all in this abstract idea, which is why everything that possibly can exist and will exist does exist? (or does it?)

Yes, in the same way that leprechauns could exist as an abstract cause of rainbows, giving them purpose beyond simple light refraction through water. I can't prove that wrong, but why should I give it any consideration?

This sort of god is vague to the point of being pointless. It's the sort of god theists posit when asked enough hard questions. As soon as people stop asking the hard questions, they'll go right back to believing he's an invisible sky wizard who actively participates in our lives.
30-04-2015, 02:17 PM
(30-04-2015 06:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  but right now I'm thinking that maths is just an abstract human invention we use in order to measure, examine and then explain the physical world, isn't it?

Yes. Math is just the formalized language we used to describe certain behaviors of the universe.

(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Either way, do you think there is a purpose to life? I've always thought that there is no purpose except the one you make yourself.

I agree that it is what we make it.

(29-04-2015 10:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Could god exist as an abstract, and that abstract being the foundation of the universe, an ultimate body of everything, and every object and living creature's actual is all in this abstract idea, which is why everything that possibly can exist and will exist does exist? (or does it?)

Yes, in the same way that leprechauns could exist as an abstract cause of rainbows, giving them purpose beyond simple light refraction through water. I can't prove that wrong, but why should I give it any consideration?

This sort of god is vague to the point of being pointless. It's the sort of god theists posit when asked enough hard questions. As soon as people stop asking the hard questions, they'll go right back to believing he's an invisible sky wizard who actively participates in our lives.

The vague god is irritating, especially when reading ancient literature & philosophy. I find it difficult to discuss as a very staunch atheist because almost all seminars I've have at uni I've had to give the assertion of an intelligent designer. Makes it fun, but seems tedious.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
01-05-2015, 05:51 AM
(30-04-2015 02:17 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The vague god is irritating, especially when reading ancient literature & philosophy. I find it difficult to discuss as a very staunch atheist because almost all seminars I've have at uni I've had to give the assertion of an intelligent designer. Makes it fun, but seems tedious.

Ugh. Where do you go? I think even when I was still Christian attending college, I would have found this very off-putting.
01-05-2015, 06:06 AM
(01-05-2015 05:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 02:17 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The vague god is irritating, especially when reading ancient literature & philosophy. I find it difficult to discuss as a very staunch atheist because almost all seminars I've have at uni I've had to give the assertion of an intelligent designer. Makes it fun, but seems tedious.

Ugh. Where do you go? I think even when I was still Christian attending college, I would have found this very off-putting.

Leeds, I think it's just because we are discussing ancient philosophers take on "god", though everyone seems to take what is said by the ancients on the matters of god as truth. Next seminar is on Epicureans, I'm going to rip them a new hole. From Democritus to Lucretius, now is my time to spout atheism mwahahaha

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post