Push for gay marriage.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Push for gay marriage.
Australia'a Governor General is pushing for gay marriage to be accepted in Australia.
She is particularly concerned that young people, some contemplating suicide, cannot be legally united with a same sex partner, in a loving relationship.
It is also interesting that recent assault figures, increasing in Australia, were much higher with heterosexual couples, compared with gays, though this was not compared relevant to total existing numbers.
New Prime Minister Tony Abbott who is hesitant over the issue, may well feel inclined to knuckle down, as current opposition leader Bill Shorten is married to the GGs daughter.She has also recommended that Australia becomes a Republic......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 05:17 PM
RE: Push for gay marriage.
Thats good. It really is good to see worldwide more people sticking up for gays. Hopefully it won't take to long to make that happen.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2013, 06:04 PM
It's a strange time to be pushing, politically. The new Prime Minister is a ultra right wing Catholic. There is no way a government lead by him will initiate such an action, and I don't see him ever allowing a conscience vote on the topic. It might push the opposition into a standpoint where it comes in the next time they are elected, so I suppose it makes sense from that angle. Ahh, she's due to step down in March[1]. That's why, I suppose. The new government will no doubt appoint a genuine fossil to the post. Also, there is the Canberra situation that is worth saying something about[2].

[1] http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victori...6768626223
[2] http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news...2y61t.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-11-2013, 09:47 PM
If Australia is anything like New Zealand that idea that we become a Republic is constantly floating around.
I for one am in support of becoming a republic. Not that i got anything against the royal family, I love the royal family I think they're great.
BUT I'm not too fussed as to actually bother doing anything about becoming a republic because there's no real point outside of patriotism which isn't a good enough reason IMO.
No doubt it'll be used as some political stand point for some politician to get into power some time in the future.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-11-2013, 10:12 PM
It really should just be a push for the religious right (all religious crap) to piss off out of politics.
That's the only reason some MP's are voting against gay marriage, there donater groups are demanding it banned.

Family First (fundi group), spent millions tring to get the great internet firewall of Australia in place.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
27-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Personally I dont understand why the government has to be involved in marriage at all
basic contractual law could about cover it
The conservatives could easily push for that under there banner ... but they wont

The liberal party in Australia is basically two party's in one.
one religious the other ones more of libertarian tip thing

(26-11-2013 10:12 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Family First (fundi group), spent millions tring to get the great internet firewall of Australia in place.
that was with Julia Gillard if i remember correctly
27-11-2013, 04:15 AM
I dont understand why there is a difference between marriage and civil partnership anyway... Whats different about the civil ceremonies men and women have compared to men and men or women and women.

To be honest for gay marriage to be accepted in religious institutions, aren't the laws interfering with the rights to hold bigotted, homophobic, xenophobic and irrational vie.. oh sorry "Right to religious freedom" is the PC words i think.
27-11-2013, 06:41 AM
(26-11-2013 09:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If Australia is anything like New Zealand that idea that we become a Republic is constantly floating around.
I for one am in support of becoming a republic. Not that i got anything against the royal family, I love the royal family I think they're great.
BUT I'm not too fussed as to actually bother doing anything about becoming a republic because there's no real point outside of patriotism which isn't a good enough reason IMO.
No doubt it'll be used as some political stand point for some politician to get into power some time in the future.

I have a problem with them, they soak up resources. Get rid of their institution, turn all property into a museum, like they Pyramids. Why should anyone value a past history created by dictators? The fact that the family watered it down in the past 200 years does not change that the first kings were brutal dictators.

I agree you can't change the past, but propping that family up is stupid. I think all the money they make in tourism from them could be turned into actual jobs and go to higher education.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 02:24 AM
This inspired me to look up more info on the world status of gay marriage with a closer look at my own country, as well as Australia. From what I've read so far it's a bit premature to celebrate the Australian government. Speaking of which....the "Liberal Party" in Australia is opposed to allowing gay people to get married. Maybe it's time for the party to change its name.

04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
(04-12-2013 02:24 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  This inspired me to look up more info on the world status of gay marriage with a closer look at my own country, as well as Australia. From what I've read so far it's a bit premature to celebrate the Australian government. Speaking of which....the "Liberal Party" in Australia is opposed to allowing gay people to get married. Maybe it's time for the party to change its name.

Some of the Libs are quite upset over the GG speaking out.

They would prefer to concentrate on anti green policies, and keeping out asylum seekers.......Confused