Putin Vows Military Response If Sweden Joins NATO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: Putin Vows Military Response If Sweden Joins NATO
(03-06-2017 05:57 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Sweden is a major arms exporter. That makes their alliance status tactically relevant in every hot spot across the globe Russia or NATO is or has the potential to be involved in..

According to SIPRI, Sweden is not even amongst the top 10.

2016 Ranking with %:
1 USA 33
2 Russia 25
3 China 5.9
4 France 5.6
5 Germany 4.7
6 UK 4.5
7 Spain 3.5
8 Italy 2.7
9 Ukraine 2.6
10 Netherlands 2.0

The top 10 of importers seem much more interesting tho:

2016 Ranking with %:
1 India 14 Gasp
2 Saudi Arabia 7.0
3 China 4.7
4 UAE 4.6
5 Australia 3.6
6 Turkey 3.4
7 Pakistan 3.3
8 Viet Nam 2.9
9 USA 2.9
10 South Korea 2.6

I think that Sweden does not worsen the strategical position of Russia very much. With Norway, NATO already is able to control one of the two ice free naval bases Russia has: Murmansk (Vladiwostok being the second). Russian access from Murmansk to the Atlantic ocean can be monitored and controlled by NATO. Otherwise the russian fleet is stuck in the Baltic Sea, which is under NATO control as well.
With Turkey, NATO is able to control the russian fleet in the Black sea. Russia isnt able to do anything in those areas already without NATO being able to closely monitor, or interdict if necessary.

I dont see any fundamental strategic change with Sweden joining NATO. What i see is a political issue. Sweden is part of the northern flank. The center and south are politically secured and stabilized somehow from a russian perspective (Naval bases in Crimea as well as general control of Crimea and heavy influence/pressure on Ukraine). In the north however, russia is already cornered. Baltic states are members of NATO and they seem to have no interest to get closer to Russia, because they feel rather threatened. Norway is a NATO member too, and Finland, well, Finland isnt a good friend since winter 1939/1940 afaik.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
03-06-2017, 11:52 AM
(03-06-2017 07:43 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 05:57 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Sweden is a major arms exporter. That makes their alliance status tactically relevant in every hot spot across the globe Russia or NATO is or has the potential to be involved in..

According to SIPRI, Sweden is not even amongst the top 10.

2016 Ranking with %:
1 USA 33
2 Russia 25
3 China 5.9
4 France 5.6
5 Germany 4.7
6 UK 4.5
7 Spain 3.5
8 Italy 2.7
9 Ukraine 2.6
10 Netherlands 2.0

The top 10 of importers seem much more interesting tho:

2016 Ranking with %:
1 India 14 Gasp
2 Saudi Arabia 7.0
3 China 4.7
4 UAE 4.6
5 Australia 3.6
6 Turkey 3.4
7 Pakistan 3.3
8 Viet Nam 2.9
9 USA 2.9
10 South Korea 2.6

I think that Sweden does not worsen the strategical position of Russia very much. With Norway, NATO already is able to control one of the two ice free naval bases Russia has: Murmansk (Vladiwostok being the second). Russian access from Murmansk to the Atlantic ocean can be monitored and controlled by NATO. Otherwise the russian fleet is stuck in the Baltic Sea, which is under NATO control as well.
With Turkey, NATO is able to control the russian fleet in the Black sea. Russia isnt able to do anything in those areas already without NATO being able to closely monitor, or interdict if necessary.

I dont see any fundamental strategic change with Sweden joining NATO. What i see is a political issue. Sweden is part of the northern flank. The center and south are politically secured and stabilized somehow from a russian perspective (Naval bases in Crimea as well as general control of Crimea and heavy influence/pressure on Ukraine). In the north however, russia is already cornered. Baltic states are members of NATO and they seem to have no interest to get closer to Russia, because they feel rather threatened. Norway is a NATO member too, and Finland, well, Finland isnt a good friend since winter 1939/1940 afaik.

In total, yes, Sweden's arms exports are small compared to the largest exporters. That doesn't make it insignificant, however.

Arms exports are an important issue in the Swedish economy, and many of its trade partners are indeed taking a big interest in related current events, such as:
Swedish defense industry uneasy over proposed export controls

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
03-06-2017, 02:59 PM

SAAB builds some badass a/c.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Sweden, like many scandinavian and Balitc states are also growing nervous after Putin's bold moves in Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine more recently. As of this year, mandatory military service has started again in Sweden, this time touching both men and women and will last between 9-12 months depending on the position where they serve. Should Sweden join NATO, Russia would be in a very bad spot in a war scenario in northern Europe. The only stupid thing is that even if Sweden isnt part of NATO, they would support their scandinavian neighbour against a Russian attack. They are part of the EU afterall. Putin's reaction to geopolitical forces aligning against him is self-defeating as it draws more country against him.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
04-06-2017, 12:11 AM
(03-06-2017 01:57 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:51 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nothing says "I'm a scared little bitch" like being fearful of fucking Sweden.
What are they gonna do? Out-good-look you to death with their amazing jawlines and flowing golden hair??

edit: side note: Damn McCain look like shit.

Have you looked at a map? It's not Sweden to be scared of, it's the strategic position for establishing naval and air bases, if they were to join the alliance.

I mean I get that (because my geographies good and I'm not an idiot), but if you look at said map again you can see that you could shoot a rock out of a slingshot from Ireland and still hit Moscow.

I think also if you look at it from Sweden's point of view, Sweden is a European country with good relations with Western Europe and the US. They tried to stay neutral during WW2 but Hitler invaded anyway. If NATO and Russia go to war I 100% guarantee Sweden is gonna get invaded by someone. So they may as well pick a side and allow NATO to build up defenses or whatever in their country.
Not that Russia and NATO would go to war but w/e.

[Image: oscar.png]
04-06-2017, 01:23 AM
(04-06-2017 12:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  They tried to stay neutral during WW2 but Hitler invaded anyway.

They stayed neutral in WWII, period. Hitler never invaded. Norway is a different country than Sweden. That's what he invaded.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
04-06-2017, 03:58 AM
(04-06-2017 01:23 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 12:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  They tried to stay neutral during WW2 but Hitler invaded anyway.

They stayed neutral in WWII, period. Hitler never invaded. Norway is a different country than Sweden. That's what he invaded.

Wait what!? I HAVE BEEN LIVING A LIE!

[Image: oscar.png]