Putting God First

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 03:49 AM
RE: Putting God First
(07-08-2014 07:05 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  I bet a lot of folks in the middle east put god first too. Doesn't seem to be working out for them so much.

Good point. Problem is that they'll say wrong god.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 06:03 AM
(07-08-2014 03:44 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I've heard this saying a lot growing up. I remember one conversation with my father when I was younger "Put God first and your family will always prosper". Well what happens if I put my family first? Nothing at all? Well that doesn't seem logical?

It's an important, nonfalsifiable ingredient in their just world hypothesis soup.
  • Good things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people.
  • Good people put God first (and bad people don't).
  • If something bad happened to you, it's your fault.

Now, this seems stupid (and it is), but it's mostly born out of the idea that their God is benevolent, yet bad things seemingly happen to good people all the time. So, it's easier for them to blame the other person than it is for them to go through a bit of introspection.

Of course, what makes this double stupid is the whole reason Christians brought heaven and hell into their religion is so they could resolve this problem in the first place. YHWH promised a more immediate and corporeal punishment of the wicked and... that obviously doesn't happen. So, tack on a nonfalsifiable punishment/reward scheme and the problem is solved! Apparently some of these chucklefucks didn't get the memo and keep blaming the victim to feel better about their god.
08-08-2014, 06:25 AM
[Image: 10526176_10152342283451911_4948725056163552869_n.jpg]

Seen on facebook today, posted by a divorcee. Nice person though.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-08-2014, 08:55 AM
When I was a theist I put God first daily.
When I was losing my faith I put God first by practically begging him to restore my faith.
A-a-a-a-nd here I am. Drinking Beverage

It's interesting how this person thinks they get a car by putting God first, but forget all about the poverty-stricken people who also put God first and can barely find enough food to put on the table.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post