Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 01:00 PM
RE: Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance
I am no expert on this, but I strongly suspect that so-called "fat acceptance" is a backlash against the completely unrealistic body image of women we've seen coming out of TV and magazine for a few decades. Women were pushed to achieve a body type that is not only not healthy, it's unachievable. The women you see in magazine are not real. I mean they are literally not real. The women you see don't look like that in real life. They are airbrushed or photoshopped or taped. My sister used to work in magazine publishing and she used to watch them use duct tape on these poor girls to keep their boobs propped up in their dresses. The models were literally taped up under their outfits.

How do real women compete with that? It's impossible. But, there was no shortage of those who tried. And the results were anorexia, bulimia and a whole host of image based mental disorders. So, finally, you see a backlash. This applies to men, too, but not at nearly to the same extent as women. Do I think body type acceptance has gone a little too far with the "healthy at any weight" stuff? Yes, I do, but I get it.

As for maintaining weight, it's tough. I'm 47 and should drop 20lbs. I'm not fat, but I'm also not thin. It's tough. I work out a lot. I get up at 5:30 and go to the gym every work day I can (the only days I don't are if the wife needs me to get the kids out to school or I'm off to NYC and have to catch a train before 7 AM). I eat ok, but not as well as I should. I'm doing a lot more soup and salad for lunch. what I really need to do is completely stop drinking. I don't drink that much but more than I should. Enough to keep weight on. But, I'm physically fit and I'm not obese. Just a bit over weight. My levels like BP, heart rate, and blood stuff are all really good so I'm not too worried.

The older you get, the tougher it is to maintain or lose weight. I work with a guy who is in his mid 50s and was pushing 300 lbs at 5'10" and was doing everything he could to drop weight. He couldn't drop more than a few pounds. He was eating right, going to the gym, cutting his calories, but the weight was just not coming off. He was very afraid that as he got older he would have a lot of problems with he knees and other joints, and then when he was forced to be less active he would develop other health issues. He tried for a year to get his weight down and he barely made a dent. He finally did something drastic and had the surgery where he basically had his stomach stapled. He's lost about 80 lbs since the fall. He eats under 1,000 calories a day and still exercises. He looks great now.

I just need to make a few more tweaks to my diet and I can probably drop the weight I want to drop. My problem is will power.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
23-01-2016, 04:40 PM
(31-12-2015 08:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 08:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  As a fat person I have nothing to add.

You're not fat, you're zaftig. Smile

[Image: befunky_instant_1.jpg?w=500]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-01-2016, 06:57 PM
(23-01-2016 01:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  I am no expert on this, but I strongly suspect that so-called "fat acceptance" is a backlash against the completely unrealistic body image of women we've seen coming out of TV and magazine for a few decades. Women were pushed to achieve a body type that is not only not healthy, it's unachievable. The women you see in magazine are not real. I mean they are literally not real. The women you see don't look like that in real life. They are airbrushed or photoshopped or taped. My sister used to work in magazine publishing and she used to watch them use duct tape on these poor girls to keep their boobs propped up in their dresses. The models were literally taped up under their outfits.

How do real women compete with that? It's impossible. But, there was no shortage of those who tried. And the results were anorexia, bulimia and a whole host of image based mental disorders. So, finally, you see a backlash. This applies to men, too, but not at nearly to the same extent as women. Do I think body type acceptance has gone a little too far with the "healthy at any weight" stuff? Yes, I do, but I get it.

Yes, that!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user