Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2015, 01:57 PM
RE: Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance
If it isn't clear, there is no reason to be mean or mistreat to somebody because they are overweight. And it's up to the individual to accept themselves as they are or choose to change (this is true for all people, not just overweight people).

All I'm talking about is the process of losing weight and the excuses that people make. If you don't want to lose weight, then don't. But if you do, stop making excuses. That's all.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Adrianime's post
29-12-2015, 03:19 PM
(29-12-2015 01:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  To me fat acceptance means to love yourself at any size or weight. Society wants perfection and it is crammed down people's throats and some develop eating disorders because of it. Food is an addiction for some people, so it may not be as simple for them to "just lose weight." I am not saying being overweight is healthy, but I do think people should love themselves at any size and work on exercising and developing healthy eating habits. But hating yourself because of your weight and having society shame you is not going to help people feel good about themselves and make them want to develop positive lifestyle changes. You need to love yourself at any size and then the desire to make changes will come.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable message. What isn't a reasonable message, IMO, is that it's great to be overweight, and that does seem to be the tenor of some of the messaging (and I love the idea sometimes peddled that anyone who is not physically attracted to obese people is bigoted).

It appears that science has come (somewhat) around on the validity of "food addiction," though the idea was rejected for years. But it's more specific than just, "Oh, I can't stop eating!" For example, Binge Eating Disorder, related to OCD, is specifically about eating an abnormal amount at a sitting, and there are some neurological similarities between some food "addictions" and others such as drugs and alcohol.

But as I said to start with, hating and shaming are not my bag, baby.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
29-12-2015, 03:20 PM
(29-12-2015 01:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  If it isn't clear, there is no reason to be mean or mistreat to somebody because they are overweight. And it's up to the individual to accept themselves as they are or choose to change (this is true for all people, not just overweight people).

All I'm talking about is the process of losing weight and the excuses that people make. If you don't want to lose weight, then don't. But if you do, stop making excuses. That's all.

This is my point, precisely. And if you do want to lose weight, but aren't willing (perhaps able?) to do so, stop talking about it!

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
29-12-2015, 03:49 PM
(29-12-2015 03:19 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 01:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  To me fat acceptance means to love yourself at any size or weight. Society wants perfection and it is crammed down people's throats and some develop eating disorders because of it. Food is an addiction for some people, so it may not be as simple for them to "just lose weight." I am not saying being overweight is healthy, but I do think people should love themselves at any size and work on exercising and developing healthy eating habits. But hating yourself because of your weight and having society shame you is not going to help people feel good about themselves and make them want to develop positive lifestyle changes. You need to love yourself at any size and then the desire to make changes will come.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable message. What isn't a reasonable message, IMO, is that it's great to be overweight, and that does seem to be the tenor of some of the messaging (and I love the idea sometimes peddled that anyone who is not physically attracted to obese people is bigoted).

It appears that science has come (somewhat) around on the validity of "food addiction," though the idea was rejected for years. But it's more specific than just, "Oh, I can't stop eating!" For example, Binge Eating Disorder, related to OCD, is specifically about eating an abnormal amount at a sitting, and there are some neurological similarities between some food "addictions" and others such as drugs and alcohol.

But as I said to start with, hating and shaming are not my bag, baby.

I don't think it makes someone a bigot if they are not attracted to a particular type of look. I personally don't care what size someone is as long as we are compatible. For me, I like hiking and backpacking, practicing my ninja skills Hobo and being quite active, so if someone was not in somewhat decent shape, I don't think we would be compatible since I like to live an active lifestyle. I would like to be able to share that with someone special.

Being in decent shape doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight either, I know skinny people who are completely out of shape. If someone was a little overweight and could still be active and *liked to be active*-- I wouldn't immediately write them off as a potential date because they didn't fit society's view of perfect. So while I don't think it makes someone a bigot for not being attracted to someone who is overweight, I do think you can miss out on some pretty amazing people if you are only looking for a size 2. Just my opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-12-2015, 03:52 PM
(29-12-2015 03:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Being in decent shape doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight either, I know skinny people who are completely out of shape.
This is true. Well I wouldn't say "anything". But it definitely doesn't have everything to do with weight.

Weight actually by itself is a meaningless number. Without your height, sex, muscle content, water content, bone weight, and fat content your weight doesn't tell you much.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-12-2015, 04:02 PM
(29-12-2015 03:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Being in decent shape doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight either, I know skinny people who are completely out of shape.

There are scads of unhealthy skinny people out there, no doubt. Likewise, I know plenty of people who are, by doctor's account, "overweight" (though not extremely so) who are amazingly fit and amazing athletes.

(29-12-2015 03:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I do think you can miss out on some pretty amazing people if you are only looking for a size 2. Just my opinion.

Alas, I canna go on dates — been married nigh on these 20 years now.

But ... my wife is shapely and definitely not skinny, and she's in really good shape. She's a hula hoop maker/teacher and she loveslovesloves to dance. She hates the mountains, which I love, and would no more hike the Colorado Trail than stick her hand down the food disposer. And she's amazing.

I'll add this: Sometimes, unbidden, you fall in love. And in the midst of my great marriage exactly that happened to me a few years back (no I didn't "act" on it, except that the woman and I realized the feelings were mutual and decided to take some distance in our friendship for awhile). That woman, whose very presence could mesmerize me, was definitely overweight (but she also liked cycling and hiking).

[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
29-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Look what I just found in the NYT: Fat Guy Across America. Cool!

[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
29-12-2015, 04:37 PM
(29-12-2015 12:49 PM)claywise Wrote:  I wouldn't say I'm outraged, but I am curious if anyone thinks my (very) basic equations are, in essence, correct.

I don't see tapeworms in your equations.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-12-2015, 04:42 PM

Absolutely spot on! Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
29-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Okay... this lady would, I assume, be considered by many to be overweight, or put more crudely, fat.

[Image: 176e97b3443c49d60f4d3b9c0e69744a.jpg]

I find her extremely attractive, and love her curvy bits. Comments?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post