Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2015, 09:56 AM
RE: Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance
10 years ago I had triple bypass surgery and had weighed about 210. For 70 inches tall that is not too bad, but I did carry a bulging belly etc... Now at almost 70 I eat as the surgeon said. I eat 4 meals a day with one of them being a fruit meal. A full bowl of fruit. According to him fruit digests with different body chemicals than other foods and should be eaten alone. My weight is about 172 which according to some charts is still 10 lbs too much, but I am happy!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
30-12-2015, 10:00 AM
(30-12-2015 09:45 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 08:20 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  It's interesting to note how the standard for female beauty changes over time - it's essentially tied to the appearance of youth and prosperity. For hundreds of years (look at the "Rubenesque" nudes up through the mid 20th Century) the image of youth, health, and prosperity was a plump, rosy cheeked woman with child-bearing hips. This was the standard because only the wealthy had enough food to attain this shape, and when infant mortality was so high the appearance of fertility and having suitable girth to bear children were considered more attractive. It's only in fairly recent times that things have shifted. Now, in the Western world anyway, the beauty standard still mimics the appearance of health and wealth but our concept of what that looks like has changed. These days, in a time of relative abundance, being "overweight" is something that's associated with the lower classes because high corn syrup, high calorie, processed-food diets are the more affordable option so it's generally the poor and unhealthy people who we associate with being overweight - prosperous and healthy people are trim and toned because they have the resources to eat fresh healthy foods and the time to spend in the gym or doing yoga or what have you. Being thin is the way one reflects a prosperous life of luxury in the 21st century.

Generally I'm behind the "body image positivity" movement. I think people SHOULD be happy in their own skin and not feel ashamed of who they are if they don't live up to some unrealistic photo-shopped fashion magazine ideal. I also think that some people who are technically overweight can be in very good health and others who are skinny can be in terrible shape. That said, there also has to be room in our discourse for family and friends and medical professionals to raise legitimate health concerns for people who are overweight without them feeling "shamed" or feeling like their weight is a part of their identity that they're being criticized or judged over.

I think it's very true that many people can have a food addiction. This is unlike other addictions in the sense that, while many people freely accept alcoholism or opioid addiction as a "disease" most people still regard food addiction as a lifestyle choice, and an indication of laziness or low self-esteem or a lack of will power. Obesity is also impossible to hide, whereas drug or alcohol or gambling addictions can often times go undetected by casual acquaintances or strangers on the street, at least for a time. And of course it IS possible with the right kind of help and a strong support system for a drunk to kick booze or a junky to get off the smack; they CAN change their lifestyle to one that avoids these substances altogether. But a food-addicted person can not quit eating, they MUST have a daily relationship with their drug of choice and do their best to make it a more healthy relationship. I think many of us, whether it's conscious or not, have a problem with fat people over other types of people with addiction because they wear their addiction on their bodies, it's impossible to gloss over it's impossible for us to have any denial about, so we use them as scapegoats for our distaste with the concept of addiction in general.
The general idea of a beautiful woman definitely changes from time period to time period (and culture to culture).

Fresh veggies are relatively cheap, so if you learn to cook with them it isn't too expensive. Certain cuts of meat are very cheap too. Fruit can be pretty expensive per pound, but not prohibitively so. I don't think it's too hard to eat healthy on a tight budget. You just have to do home cooking, and not from cans or boxes.

I am probably addicted to food. I love food and can't help myself from eating whatever is put in front of me. I will overeat if I let myself. My own health is one of the reasons I try to keep sweets out of the house and never eat out. If I stopped caring(ate whatever I wanted), I would gain 50 pounds. Not exaggerating. And even gaining 10 pounds makes me feel sluggish and much less mobile.

I agree that it isn't that expensive to eat healthy if you want to. I do think some people are raised with unhealthy eating habits and in families who don't advocate exercise. I think it is hard to change habits one has come accustomed to. I was lucky, my mom always cooked healthy homemade meals and I come from a very active family. We would go for nature hikes and walk to nearby stores instead of driving. Lots of bike riding on vacations instead of taking mobile tours. We were also "required" to do some kind of sport or physical activity. Mine was dancing, track, and field hockey. I think raising your kids in this type of environment helps to instill healthy lifestyle habits that carry over into adulthood.

Maintaining weight definitely requires self control. I would be 90000 lbs if I didn't work out and walk away from the table. I love food! I like your point about not keeping junk in the house. I try to keep my house free of that stuff as well. Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
30-12-2015, 10:18 AM
(30-12-2015 10:00 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree that it isn't that expensive to eat healthy if you want to. I do think some people are raised with unhealthy eating habits and in families who don't advocate exercise. I think it is hard to change habits one has come accustomed to. I was lucky, my mom always cooked healthy homemade meals and I come from a very active family. We would go for nature hikes and walk to nearby stores instead of driving. Lots of bike riding on vacations instead of taking mobile tours. We were also "required" to do some kind of sport or physical activity. Mine was dancing, track, and field hockey. I think raising your kids in this type of environment helps to instill healthy lifestyle habits that carry over into adulthood.

Maintaining weight definitely requires self control. I would be 90000 lbs if I didn't work out and walk away from the table. I love food! I like your point about not keeping junk in the house. I try to keep my house free of that stuff as well. Thumbsup

Yeahh. My girlfriend on the other hand is a junkfood hoarder. Grrr. But she keeps it all in a cabinet that I never look in haha.

I grew up without junkfood in the house, so that was good. However my mom's cooking gradually declined over the years, and was never that great to begin with...haha. When I got to college I was in love with all the food options, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months haha. After that I cut pop out of my diet (I also didn't drink pop growing up, except on holidays).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
30-12-2015, 10:24 AM
(30-12-2015 10:18 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 10:00 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree that it isn't that expensive to eat healthy if you want to. I do think some people are raised with unhealthy eating habits and in families who don't advocate exercise. I think it is hard to change habits one has come accustomed to. I was lucky, my mom always cooked healthy homemade meals and I come from a very active family. We would go for nature hikes and walk to nearby stores instead of driving. Lots of bike riding on vacations instead of taking mobile tours. We were also "required" to do some kind of sport or physical activity. Mine was dancing, track, and field hockey. I think raising your kids in this type of environment helps to instill healthy lifestyle habits that carry over into adulthood.

Yeahh. My girlfriend on the other hand is a junkfood hoarder. Grrr. But she keeps it all in a cabinet that I never look in haha.

I grew up without junkfood in the house, so that was good. However my mom's cooking gradually declined over the years, and was never that great to begin with...haha. When I got to college I was in love with all the food options, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months haha. After that I cut pop out of my diet (I also didn't drink pop growing up, except on holidays).

I gained weight in college too. I think everyone does--lots of drinking and junk food Tongue

We didn't have a ton of junk food in the house growing up either. I think we had like one box of cookies and one bag of chips for the week and that was for five kids Tongue

I prefer no junk in the house, then when you go out for an ice cream etc. it's more of a treat.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-12-2015, 10:28 AM
The way I keep my apartment free of Junk Food is I eat all of it on the day I buy it.

The downside is I have to go to the store every day. Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
30-12-2015, 10:45 AM
(30-12-2015 08:20 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  It's interesting to note how the standard for female beauty changes over time - it's essentially tied to the appearance of youth and prosperity. For hundreds of years (look at the "Rubenesque" nudes up through the mid 20th Century) the image of youth, health, and prosperity was a plump, rosy cheeked woman with child-bearing hips. This was the standard because only the wealthy had enough food to attain this shape, and when infant mortality was so high the appearance of fertility and having suitable girth to bear children were considered more attractive. It's only in fairly recent times that things have shifted. Now, in the Western world anyway, the beauty standard still mimics the appearance of health and wealth but our concept of what that looks like has changed. These days, in a time of relative abundance, being "overweight" is something that's associated with the lower classes because high corn syrup, high calorie, processed-food diets are the more affordable option so it's generally the poor and unhealthy people who we associate with being overweight - prosperous and healthy people are trim and toned because they have the resources to eat fresh healthy foods and the time to spend in the gym or doing yoga or what have you. Being thin is the way one reflects a prosperous life of luxury in the 21st century.

Generally I'm behind the "body image positivity" movement. I think people SHOULD be happy in their own skin and not feel ashamed of who they are if they don't live up to some unrealistic photo-shopped fashion magazine ideal. I also think that some people who are technically overweight can be in very good health and others who are skinny can be in terrible shape. That said, there also has to be room in our discourse for family and friends and medical professionals to raise legitimate health concerns for people who are overweight without them feeling "shamed" or feeling like their weight is a part of their identity that they're being criticized or judged over.

I think it's very true that many people can have a food addiction. This is unlike other addictions in the sense that, while many people freely accept alcoholism or opioid addiction as a "disease" most people still regard food addiction as a lifestyle choice, and an indication of laziness or low self-esteem or a lack of will power. Obesity is also impossible to hide, whereas drug or alcohol or gambling addictions can often times go undetected by casual acquaintances or strangers on the street, at least for a time. And of course it IS possible with the right kind of help and a strong support system for a drunk to kick booze or a junky to get off the smack; they CAN change their lifestyle to one that avoids these substances altogether. But a food-addicted person can not quit eating, they MUST have a daily relationship with their drug of choice and do their best to make it a more healthy relationship. I think many of us, whether it's conscious or not, have a problem with fat people over other types of people with addiction because they wear their addiction on their bodies, it's impossible to gloss over it's impossible for us to have any denial about, so we use them as scapegoats for our distaste with the concept of addiction in general.

You're exactly right and also because rarity has value. The Rubenesque body of the mid 20th was sought after because most poor slobs were living hand to mouth and skinny as hell and the few people who did have food were royal and wealthy. Now everyone has access to food even if it's crappy food and the rarity of being thin now has value because of it's rarity.

I have a very weird thing. I really don't care about food. Do you remember the movie Christmas Story and the little brother who never ate? I was that kid.

If I could simply take a pill and get eating over with I'd prefer that. I loathe cooking and everything about it but I wasn't raised eating junk food so I'm more apt to eat an apple because all you do is pick it up and eat it. I don't cut lettuce up all nice and toss it in a bowl. I grab a handful of romaine leaves, wash it, eat it like a rabbit. I really, really, really hate any kind of cooking or food preparation. I think the only thing I'd miss if I took a pill instead of eating food is chocolate. I'd miss chocolate.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-12-2015, 10:46 AM
(30-12-2015 10:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The way I keep my apartment free of Junk Food is I eat all of it on the day I buy it.

The downside is I have to go to the store every day. Weeping

Laugh out load

30-12-2015, 11:22 AM
(30-12-2015 10:45 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a very weird thing. I really don't care about food. Do you remember the movie Christmas Story and the little brother who never ate? I was that kid.

If I could simply take a pill and get eating over with I'd prefer that. I loathe cooking and everything about it but I wasn't raised eating junk food so I'm more apt to eat an apple because all you do is pick it up and eat it. I don't cut lettuce up all nice and toss it in a bowl. I grab a handful of romaine leaves, wash it, eat it like a rabbit. I really, really, really hate any kind of cooking or food preparation. I think the only thing I'd miss if I took a pill instead of eating food is chocolate. I'd miss chocolate.
Gosh, I had a friend in college like you. She told me once if she didn't HAVE to eat to survive she wouldn't. It's a totally foreign outlook to me. Honestly food and sex are pretty close to being equal forms of pleasure. Food might edge sex out actually.

Are you sure you aren't just eating sucky food? Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
30-12-2015, 11:25 AM
(30-12-2015 11:22 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 10:45 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a very weird thing. I really don't care about food. Do you remember the movie Christmas Story and the little brother who never ate? I was that kid.

Gosh, I had a friend in college like you. She told me once if she didn't HAVE to eat to survive she wouldn't. It's a totally foreign outlook to me. Honestly food and sex are pretty close to being equal forms of pleasure. Food might edge sex out actually.

Are you sure you aren't just eating sucky food? Tongue

Totally agree food is pleasure. I like sex better though Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-12-2015, 11:53 AM
(30-12-2015 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I prefer no junk in the house, then when you go out for an ice cream etc. it's more of a treat.

Ice cream is not junk food. Shocking

There is always ice cream in my freezer. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post