Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2015, 01:02 PM
RE: Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance
Hmmm, lots of weird stuff in this thread. The lady with the garter belt on wrong is fat, but she's also pretty. Pretty means a lot to me. I always cared more about a woman's face than her body.

Not caring about food is totally alien to me. I love food, and have been fighting the battle of the bulge all my life (and more so since I quit smoking 12 years ago). Like unfogged, I seem to feel hungry all the time -- even after I've just eaten. I can feel "stuffed" and hungry at the same time.

Ice cream -- I agree with Chas that it's not junk food. It is, in fact, my favorite food, and I too always have some in my freezer. But I have learned to be more disciplined about it -- just like beer. I have not had a beer or any ice cream for several days now. I'm sure that will change over the weekend.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
30-12-2015, 01:11 PM
I am with dances...if I could just take a pill instead of dealing with food, I would do it.

Except for chocolate. I would even happily go to the store to buy chocolate.

Didn't the Jetsons have food pills? Why aren't they a thing yet?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-12-2015, 01:17 PM
(29-12-2015 12:35 PM)claywise Wrote:  Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. Here's another equation: a = desire to lose weight; b = ability to withstand discomforts and effort of losing weight. If a/b > 1, the person will lose weight; if a/b < 1 he or she won't.

Or am I just a big ol' goddamn meanie?
What is needed, if a person wants to lose weight, is a sustainable lifestyle change.

Dieting is a short term fix which is non sustainable, the person feels as if they are depriving themselves.
Forcing one's self to endure intense exercise for the express purpose of losing weight is futile. A person needs to create a lifetime habbit, perhaps pick up a sport or hobbie that they enjoy, perhaps take up a sustainable habbit of some early morning excercise.

If it is not seen as a sustainable life long habbit then it will fail.

But, besides all this, it is a personal choice. It isn't something for you or me to judge others on. A person's value isn't dependent on their body shape or their BMI.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
30-12-2015, 01:20 PM
(30-12-2015 01:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I can feel "stuffed" and hungry at the same time.

I know that feeling well.

Quote:I have not had a beer or any ice cream for several days now.

If you get the proportions right a beer milkshake is actually pretty good. If not, they're really bad.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
30-12-2015, 01:22 PM
(30-12-2015 01:20 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If you get the proportions right a beer milkshake is actually pretty good. If not, they're really bad.

Yes, either 0% beer or 0% ice cream. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
30-12-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2015 01:37 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
It's only a problem when the weight issues are linked to things like depression. In that case the idea of "fat acceptance" can be highly detrimental and can lead to the reinforcement of bad mental habits. If you just want to be fat, go ahead.

30-12-2015, 02:36 PM
(30-12-2015 01:20 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 01:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I can feel "stuffed" and hungry at the same time.

I know that feeling well.

Quote:I have not had a beer or any ice cream for several days now.

If you get the proportions right a beer milkshake is actually pretty good. If not, they're really bad.

I have actually experimented with beer floats (not milkshakes), with mixed results. It seemed to work very well with Guinness, not so well with regular beer (the one I tried was a red lager).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-12-2015, 02:41 PM
(30-12-2015 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 12:35 PM)claywise Wrote:  Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. Here's another equation: a = desire to lose weight; b = ability to withstand discomforts and effort of losing weight. If a/b > 1, the person will lose weight; if a/b < 1 he or she won't.

Or am I just a big ol' goddamn meanie?
What is needed, if a person wants to lose weight, is a sustainable lifestyle change.

Dieting is a short term fix which is non sustainable, the person feels as if they are depriving themselves.
Forcing one's self to endure intense exercise for the express purpose of losing weight is futile. A person needs to create a lifetime habbit, perhaps pick up a sport or hobbie that they enjoy, perhaps take up a sustainable habbit of some early morning excercise.

If it is not seen as a sustainable life long habbit then it will fail.

Yes, absolutely. I have this argument regularly with a co-worker who swears by radical fad diets. "But they work!" My answer is that if they really worked you wouldn't have to keep doing them. Yo-yo dieting is probably more harmful than just remaining overweight. The only sensible diet/exercise program is one that you can stay on for the rest of your life.
30-12-2015, 05:35 PM
(30-12-2015 11:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm very puzzled by the Food Thread that's been going on and I try like hell to get involved in posting stuff about food but truthfully, I really don't give a shit.

That makes you a lucky bugger in my book.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
30-12-2015, 06:17 PM
I think there's been a lot of research that shows that weight is not as simple as we want to think. Also, frankly, one's body is a wonderful time suck. If someone who is fat decides to work on losing weight, that's fine, and up to them; if they decide they'd rather spend their energies somewhere else, that's fine, too. If they want to write the Great American Novel, that would be awesome. Society-wise, a great novel's going to have a bigger and better impact than one person losing 50 pounds.

It's really astonishing how much motion we have taken out of our lives even in the past fifty years or so. I think about being a kid in the 70s and walking to school, having a neighborhood where it was considered normal for all the kids to be out playing together several hours every day, and how that is not the norm at all in my suburban neighborhood in the 2010s. I couldn't send my kid outside to play with the other kids in the neighborhood, I had to schedule him into soccer and tae kwon do, etc. In our house, not so much of a problem--we have a gym in our basement and I have a fitness training background--but in many houses, not so easy. Every little thing requires less effort: opening the car door, changing the TV channel, putting dishes in the dishwasher instead of washing them. It adds up.

Also for years there has been portion inflation, part of an abundance of affordable calories. I remember when a Burger King double cheeseburger seemed so big to me that I couldn't finish it, and at about that time (1980s) I noticed the physical plates food was served on getting bigger at restaurants. I eat out a fair amount, and almost never eat even half of what's served to me, because the portion sizes are insane, one plate easily having more than a day's worth of calories, and when my son orders a soda, if we don't specifically tell the waiter otherwise, that 16-ounce glass will get refilled 2-3x over the course of the meal. Unlimited soda refills didn't used to be standard operating procedure at restaurants, and portions were much smaller.

All of this is to say that I think that people who are overweight/fat aren't as complicit in their condition as blamers would suggest, but also, people have to recognize how things are different these days and know that with a commitment to moving and eating moderately, over time, body change will happen, even if not at the rate that the maths would suggest.