Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Putting my foot in it again - fat acceptance
I'm late to the party, but since the thread has been bumped, I'll shoot.

I think fat acceptance (to a certain extent) is potentially dangerous, just like I think fat shaming is dangerous. To what extent (in regards to fat acceptance?), it's when an individual no longer takes any notion to do anything remotely healthy, foregoes whole foods that contain nutritious micronutrients and instead decide to subsist on 'food' that is nutritionally bereft of said micronutrients. This is becoming more and more common, from what I see. Tumblr is a big time culprit. Look up "feeders" on Tumblr. Check out Tess Holliday.

Not being physically active + eating garbage and not doing anything about it is obviously a ticket to an early death (or at least health problems that might make you wish for an early death!). "No shit, UT!" you might say. I'm just a 24-year-old schmuck, but I see overweight people with big ol' bellies around my age justify their lifestyles by saying, "My bloodwork is perfect! I'll eat what I want!" Congratulations. You, like me, are young. Let me know how things are going in your 30s, 40s and into your 50s, please.

I digress, though. At the end of the day, I don't care how somebody lives in regards to their dietary goals (or lackthereof), but fat acceptance can be dangerous waters for a lot of impressionable people.

I'm not keen on fat shaming, either. My lifelong best friend/quasi-brother and I will get together once every couple of months to hang out when we have time. Occasionally we might give each other shit. "Looks like yer gettin' a belly on ya, brother!" Stuff like that. Light-hearted jabs to one another. But then again, we've been best friends virtually since we've been shittin' in diapers. That's nothing.

I'm not going to name any places, but there was a certain site that, up until recently, had a fat bashing group. The group moved elsewhere, but the site ixnayed (one of my favorite words; off-topic but I saw it used for the first time in Mike freakin' Tyson's autobiography) it before that. They simply existed to make fun of fat people. I don't see the point. I don't believe in placating somebody's negative health habits, but treating somebody like a subhuman POS on the internet when they wouldn't dare say something in real life to the said person is bush league. Childish shit, whether you are 19 or 79.

But to the OP, yeah, fat acceptance annoys me to an extent when I see some of the egregious bullshit on Tumblr, but that's Tumblr, and that damn place is full of nonsense, so much so that I think that much of it must be concocted by trolls nowadays.

Barring thyroid/medical conditions/consumed pharmaceuticals, I believe that calories in/calories out nets weight loss and/or gain pending on which is 'followed'. However, macronutrient composition is what will determine what's "burned" or "gained". Sorry for the quotes. Anyway, try cutting weight while taking in minimal protein... yeah, enjoy the loss in muscle and strength. You can preserve some muscle through carbs (glycogen), but protein consumption is mandatory. Even the dude that went on the 30-day "twinkie diet" ate one serving of greens (or some kind of vegetable) and a Whey protein shake a day if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty damn passionate about nutritional science. I'm forever ignorant, though, and I love to learn. Everything above is strictly my two pennies with anecdotal thoughts! That's it! Nothing more, nothing less.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndauntedToast's post
22-01-2016, 02:34 PM
(22-01-2016 09:54 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 09:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I used to be 11 stone and at 6ft 4 was slightly underweight now I'm on bipolar meds I've ballooned to 15 stone an increase of 56 pounds there are many reasons why people may put on weight that do not involve overeating

No, there isn't. That you are gaining weight explicitly owes its cause to you consuming more calories than you are expending; 'over eating.'

Life is so simple for you huh buddy. Meds can cause a slow down in metabolism without the increase in calories no wonder you are a minus 8 in rep points you fucking bitch
22-01-2016, 02:40 PM
(22-01-2016 02:34 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 09:54 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  No, there isn't. That you are gaining weight explicitly owes its cause to you consuming more calories than you are expending; 'over eating.'

Life is so simple for you huh buddy. Meds can cause a slow down in metabolism without the increase in calories no wonder you are a minus 8 in rep points you fucking bitch

The various ways calories are absorbed, stored, and expended can change a lot (naturally, let alone through outside factors like medication). To say nothing of the distinct but related matter of the biochemical and neurological basis for feelings of satiety...

To say all variance in weight is due to "over-eating" (thus, implicitly, a judgement on lack of control) is about as useful as telling a heroin addict, "yes, but have you tried stopping using heroin?".

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-01-2016, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2016 03:10 PM by adey67.)
(22-01-2016 02:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 02:34 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Life is so simple for you huh buddy. Meds can cause a slow down in metabolism without the increase in calories no wonder you are a minus 8 in rep points you fucking bitch

The various ways calories are absorbed, stored, and expended can change a lot (naturally, let alone through outside factors like medication). To say nothing of the distinct but related matter of the biochemical and neurological basis for feelings of satiety...

To say all variance in weight is due to "over-eating" (thus, implicitly, a judgement on lack of control) is about as useful as telling a heroin addict, "yes, but have you tried stopping using heroin?".

That makes sense but I'm eating no more than when I was first diagnosed bi polar and fuck have I ever ballooned in weight.I'm probably being a bit aggressive toward Gilgamesh because technically he is correct ,but I find his attitude really shitty and dismissive not to mention self-righteous also as a qualified nurse I know that there are medical conditions that can cause weight increase eg thyroid disorders steroid treatment,PSYCHIATRIC treatment !!!!! He may be technically correct but he is still being a bitch IMHO.
22-01-2016, 03:11 PM
(22-01-2016 03:04 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 02:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The various ways calories are absorbed, stored, and expended can change a lot (naturally, let alone through outside factors like medication). To say nothing of the distinct but related matter of the biochemical and neurological basis for feelings of satiety...

That makes sense but I'm eating no more than when I was first diagnosed bi polar and fuck have I ever ballooned in weight.I'm probably being a bit aggressive toward Gilgamesh but I find his attitude really shitty and dismissive not to mention self-righteous also as a qualified nurse I know that there are medical conditions that can cause weight increase eg thyroid disorders steroid treatment,PSYCHIATRIC treatment !!!!! He may be technically correct but he is still being a bitch IMHO.

How much it takes for your body to feel satisfied is not actually coupled that well with how much represents a caloric steady-state. Especially if something seriously changes how your metabolism is storing energy.

... this is my signature!
22-01-2016, 03:17 PM
(22-01-2016 03:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 03:04 PM)adey67 Wrote:  That makes sense but I'm eating no more than when I was first diagnosed bi polar and fuck have I ever ballooned in weight.I'm probably being a bit aggressive toward Gilgamesh but I find his attitude really shitty and dismissive not to mention self-righteous also as a qualified nurse I know that there are medical conditions that can cause weight increase eg thyroid disorders steroid treatment,PSYCHIATRIC treatment !!!!! He may be technically correct but he is still being a bitch IMHO.

How much it takes for your body to feel satisfied is not actually coupled that well with how much represents a caloric steady-state. Especially if something seriously changes how your metabolism is storing energy.

Absolutely agree with you but he's still a bitch Laugh out load
22-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Now I've had a chance to cool down a bit I guess I should probably apologize to Gilgamesh because logically he is correct, as my dear old granny used to say "there's no fat without food" so , sorry man you just rubbed me up the wrong way I'm just not sold that the issue is as simple as you think it is.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
22-01-2016, 03:52 PM
(22-01-2016 03:41 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Now I've had a chance to cool down a bit I guess I should probably apologize to Gilgamesh because logically he is correct, as my dear old granny used to say "there's no fat without food" so , sorry man you just rubbed me up the wrong way I'm just not sold that the issue is as simple as you think it is.

Don't apologize, he doesn't deserve it.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-01-2016, 04:03 PM
(22-01-2016 03:52 PM)julep Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 03:41 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Now I've had a chance to cool down a bit I guess I should probably apologize to Gilgamesh because logically he is correct, as my dear old granny used to say "there's no fat without food" so , sorry man you just rubbed me up the wrong way I'm just not sold that the issue is as simple as you think it is.

Don't apologize, he doesn't deserve it.
That's kind of you to say so but his opinion is not an excuse for me to be aggressive and rude which I'm afraid I was Sad
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
22-01-2016, 04:06 PM
(29-12-2015 12:56 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 12:51 PM)DerFish Wrote:  I have to admit i know very little about it, but according to my sister-in-law the state of Tennessee accepts the obesity is not my fault and gives 100 per cent service to people who make the above claims. I have met Fred. He weighs in at a bit over 490, and has not fully stood up for a couple of years. She, sister-in-law, claims that he has not eaten more than 1000 calories in any day since she started being his home health care nurse 3 years ago, and he doesn't lose weight on that diet. I don't fully believe it myself, but apparently those who pay out the money trusted to their care do. Who brings him chocolate bars? I ask her.
Sounds like a pile of bull. Maybe he eats 1000 calories and then drinks an extra 4000 worth? It takes a lot of calories to maintain 490. Unless he has some sort of condition that stops his fat from being consumed as energy.

Also, 1000 calories a day is EXTREMELY unlhealthy. Somebody at that weight couldn't do it. I couldn't do it, and it would be sooo much harder for somebody with the appetite you would have at 490 pounds.
He had a hole cut into one side of his sofa and he slides over there too shit and or pee. he slides back and sis-in-law pulls the bucket out and dumps it. That is the most exercise he gets in any week.