Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.
Alright, I think this is as good a place as any to pose a question I've been sitting on for the last week.

Open to one person I'm not really fused who as long as they have half a brain.

The question is; what moment in history had the greatest impact on humanity

Not "ww1/2" not "the Renascence period", I'm talking 1 very specific moment in history, a particular battle a particular execution etc...

IMO, the moment that had the greatest impact on humanity was on July 2nd 1698.
The day Thomas Savery patented the worlds first commercial steam engine.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
31-10-2012, 06:51 PM
RE: Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.
(31-10-2012 06:37 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright, I think this is as good a place as any to pose a question I've been sitting on for the last week.

Not "ww1/2" not "the Renascence period", I'm talking 1 very specific moment in history, a particular battle a particular execution etc...

I"m gonna say it hasn't happened yet. It will happen sometime in the next 100 years. That day will be the day that an implanted piece of machine technology (computer chip), is placed, and interacts with human brains, and astronomically increases human intelligence capacity.

If I have to pick a past event, I would agree with your's, or I would say the cluster of discovery events surrounding atomic energy/nature of subatomic matter in the 20th Century.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
31-10-2012, 06:59 PM
(31-10-2012 06:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 06:37 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright, I think this is as good a place as any to pose a question I've been sitting on for the last week.

I"m gonna say it hasn't happened yet. It will happen sometime in the next 100 years. That day will be the day that an implanted piece of machine technology (computer chip), is placed, and interacts with human brains, and astronomically increases human intelligence capacity.

If I have to pick a past event, I would agree with your's, or I would say the cluster of discovery events surrounding atomic energy/nature of subatomic matter in the 20th Century.

Yeah I was referring to past events. Future events is an entirely different ball game.

You can't agree with me Tongue defeats the whole purpose.
Though interesting that you should mention Ernest Rutherford, the man who split the atom. Did you know he was a New Zealander? Just like to throw that around whenever I get the chance. Drinking Beverage

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
01-11-2012, 02:48 AM
D'huh!

God creating the Garden of Eden.

Obviously.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-11-2012, 02:54 AM
(31-10-2012 06:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  IYeah I was referring to past events. Future events is an entirely different ball game.

Does this apply to time travelers who go back in time? Because I would say time travel would be, or is, or used to be the greatest impact on humanity or so I've heard or will hear of. We will be able to confirm the biblical stories. Or we could have already confirmed the biblical stories in the past from the future. Actually, I am a time traveler from the future. Just got back from the moment of creation and, oh boy, God is pissed at you guys.
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
01-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Re: Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.
Idk if it's in all history, but for the modern west world.. I would argue strongly for:

The beheading of Charles I.

This was the start of pushing off that stupid idea of accepting the kinds authority because... The king was anointed by God. Well man killed the one appointed and terror didn't unleash. It greatly influenced the rise of the enlightenment among the brits and French. I can't think of a bigger impact off the top of by head.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-11-2012, 06:13 AM
(01-11-2012 06:02 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I can't think of a bigger impact off the top of by head.

Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-11-2012, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 07:00 AM by Bucky Ball.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutions_of_Clarendon

I like the Charles 1 idea, re "divine right of kings", but I bet close inspection would find a long series of preceding events, which allowed for that.

I like the Constitutions of Clarendon. (1164) It was an early attempt, before Henry VIII to curb the power of the church, long before the Reformation. It proves the forces in history were already operational to do that, and the idea had taken root in English brains. Becket never did sign them, (the supposed "saint" Thomas said he would, so Henry allowed him to return to England from France), then he refused after he got back, thus proving bad faith, and that the saint was an ambitious liar. Seems an important turning point we don't often hear about. It proves the idea of "evil priests" and the need to curb them was already operational in human thought in the West.

01-11-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm going to go with the 1858 paper by Darwin & Wallace on natural selection.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
01-11-2012, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 07:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Maybe the germ theory of disease ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germ_theory_of_disease : 1700
Anton van Leeuwenhoek

Atomic Theory, (Daulton) : about 1800

Gays caused 9/11 ... American Fundamentalists 20th C Weeping

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long can you debate Limbaugh before strangling him? Mr. Slave 4 79 22-06-2014 06:30 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Teaching Dr. Itch (Drich) to spell, and the debate with Taq commentary thread Bucky Ball 15 267 13-05-2014 03:05 PM
Last Post: Monster_Riffs
  Face palm moment of my day Bows and Arrows 12 155 24-04-2014 10:20 AM
Last Post: War Horse
Rainbow Open Challenge ~ Gay Marriage Sloane 38 1,407 13-07-2013 08:47 PM
Last Post: Erxomai
  Open challenge, Match 2 Reltzik 28 809 13-07-2013 08:32 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
  Any politcal debate on TTA against communism in a nutshell ELK12695 0 184 11-07-2013 06:20 PM
Last Post: ELK12695
  Everytime I enter a debate ELK12695 10 410 04-05-2013 02:23 PM
Last Post: My proboscis sucks