Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
RE: Putting on my serious face. Open historical debate.
Printing press 1454.

Moon landing 1969

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
01-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Ooooo, printing press is a good one!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:Does this apply to time travelers who go back in time?

Nope.

Quote:The beheading of Charles I.

Nope.
Monarchy is just a system of government, one that we have still today in some countries (UAE), effectively Singapore.
If all countries were run by monarchies today the modern era, globalization etc.. would have still occurred. Big moment sure, but not the biggest.

Quote:I'm going to go with the 1858 paper by Darwin & Wallace on natural selection.

Nope.
Considering it has little bearing on our everyday lives and there even a lot of idiots who don't even accept it, it's big but it's not even close to the biggest.

Quote:Maybe the germ theory of disease ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germ_theory_of_disease : 1700

Consider
Potential.

Quote:Atomic Theory, (Daulton) : about 1800

ehhhh, meh.
It eventually lead to nuclear bombs, but even those have done little in the way of greatly effecting humanity (short of those killed by the two dropped on Japan obviously). It's hardly even shifted global power. If anyone has gained greatly out of nukes it's probably Pakistan.

Quote:Gays caused 9/11

I knew it!!!!!
Fucking gays...

Quote:Death of Alex the Grate

hmm nah.
Sure it changed borders and shit, had some cultural impacts but at the end of the day it had little effect on humanity today.

I mean countries are just a line in on the map and cultures are just a different way of life. Without Mr Grate europe would have still been catholic and middle east would have still been islamic.

Quote:19/05/1991... the future king of the world was born.

My birthdays actually on the 21st of June.

Quote:The invention of cooking. Seriously.

yeah I understand it's importance, help the brain to develop and shit.
Buut, maybe a little too far back. If we're going that far back we could say the use of tools, use of fire, forming of communities etc...

Quote:I'm going to go with Newtons discovery of gravity (1677)

Nope.
People knew if they dropped an apple it would fall loooooooooooong before Newton came along.
Sure they didn't know why, but they didn't need to. We could have still gotten to where we are today without knowing why things fall towards the earth, just knowing that they do is enough.

Quote:Printing press 1454.

Hmmm. Potential.

Quote:Moon landing 1969

Yuck, no.
Important, yes. Amazing, certainly. Huge effect on people's lives, nope.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Pick one and get on with it princess.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
(01-11-2012 08:52 PM)Near Wrote:  Printing press 1454.

So by extension, regarding mass publication / communication... Invention of the Internet.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
(01-11-2012 09:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:The beheading of Charles I.

Nope.
Monarchy is just a system of government, one that we have still today in some countries (UAE), effectively Singapore.
If all countries were run by monarchies today the modern era, globalization etc.. would have still occurred. Big moment sure, but not the biggest.

It's not about "monarchy". It's about the "divine right of kings", and the shift to the Enlightenment and the legitimacy of a government comes from the consent of the governed. Maybe the French Revolution, and the overthrow of the French monarchy ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM
(01-11-2012 03:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Death of Alex the Great

Good idea.
His unification of his empire was a huge influence on the West, and even Biblical Palestine, and the Roman era.
In fact that's probably the best one yet, after Muffers.

I notice you corrected my misspelling Big Grin It was there just to make all the grammarians twitch Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
The problem is the further back in history you go the more minor events *then* influence major events *now*.

But w.r.t. Alex, if he had lived the world might have been a very different place. Even though he died, the Greek influence on the East had a huge impact. He rocked the foundations of the world at the time. If he had had an opportunity to really establish his empire, instead of dying and leaving it to feuding generals, science and trade might have taken off in a huge way centuries before the modern era.
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
(01-11-2012 11:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  The problem is the further back in history you go the more minor events *then* influence major events *now*.

That actually turns out not to be the case. The "butterfly-induced hurricane" is a myth caused by a misunderstanding of chaos theory. In actuality, the vast majority of minor actions have an extremely short range effect and tend to average out very quickly. There are actions that can have effects far beyond their anticipated scope, but they are the statistically rare exception, the 'rogue wave', not the norm. And even then, a big change or big action will usually (not always, but usually) have a bigger effect.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
02-11-2012, 12:08 AM
(01-11-2012 09:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Moon landing 1969

Yuck, no.
Important, yes. Amazing, certainly. Huge effect on people's lives, nope.

You'll be back for this when we all start living in space bro. Tongue

Invention of "The Pill".

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post