Pyramid Scheme?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 11:59 PM
RE: Pyramid Scheme?
(11-11-2014 11:52 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  The most efficent way for somebody to learn is to have somebody in a position of authority prompt an idea then refute it. That is in turn at its best when it's an interactive process. In the form of a small group conversation.

You can't really do that. He's emotionally invested, you're his peer, you've been talking to him about this before which makes it touchy.

You need to try to manufacture that senario artificially. Read up on this stuff, be informed on the specific company he's talking about. Get testimonials, video one preferably and watch the video below (or one much like it) with him.

Give him control over the video and give him the option to turn it off and leave at any time and talk him though questions and what you've found out afterwards. Let him pause it to ask you questions.

It's a little involved but it'll give you the best odds.

$1.99 to watch that video?!
What a rip-off! Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 12:04 AM
That video doesn't work outside the States.

@op, ohhhh yea that's a pyramid scheme...
Just let him fail. I know it'll be hard but you did warn him plenty of times and he refuses to listen.
The only way he's gonna learn is through failure.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Pyramid schemes only benefit those at the top of the pyramid.

We had friends over the years try to get us into amway.

Well, they're all exfriends today. It should be noted, when we lacked the excitement to join their cult, they dropped us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I figured my phone was unable to play it or something.

How's a link instead?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
12-11-2014, 12:41 AM
(12-11-2014 12:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just let him fail. I know it'll be hard but you did warn him plenty of times and he refuses to listen.
The only way he's gonna learn is through failure.

Ugh. I hate to do it but I see no other choice. Undecided

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2014, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 02:09 PM by BnW.)
I had a professor in college who said something along the lines of "No one with an actual get-rich-quick scheme is going to share it with others, unless sharing the scheme with others is how they get rich".

This sounds like a classic pyramid. Call your state attorney general and see what they think.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
12-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Pyramid schemes (or Ponzi schemes) will always be with us and they only ever benefit the ones that start it or get into it from the beginning. In fact your typical asset bubble (e.g. dot com boom, house price bubble etc) are also a pyramid scheme of sorts. When you have your shoe shine boy giving you advice on what to invest in, that's the point it's all going to collapse. They work because you always get suckers like your friend ready to lose lots of money because they are emotionally invested in it.
12-11-2014, 02:12 PM
(12-11-2014 02:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Pyramid schemes (or Ponzi schemes) will always be with us and they only ever benefit the ones that start it or get into it from the beginning. In fact your typical asset bubble (e.g. dot com boom, house price bubble etc) are also a pyramid scheme of sorts. When you have your shoe shine boy giving you advice on what to invest in, that's the point it's all going to collapse. They work because you always get suckers like your friend ready to lose lots of money because they are emotionally invested in it.

At least asset bubbles are the emergent product of mob psychology and not willful deception...

... this is my signature!
12-11-2014, 03:28 PM
(11-11-2014 11:11 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  A buddy of mine got into a business venture a few months ago. He was in need of money and met another young gentleman who told him he knew how my friend could make a shit-ton of money. All he had to do was sell a few products - cleaning supplies, cosmetics, energy drinks, etc. - and then convince his customers to start selling those products too. By doing so, my friend would be making money from each person to whom he sells, and to each person who decides to let him be their "sponsor." In turn, the guy who met my friend makes money because he's helped my friend make money who continues to make money from the people he made make money.

Seems legit. Dodgy

Anyway, to anyone who has ever heard the term, all of this smacks of a fucking pyramid scheme right from the beginning. I was thus quite dubious about being brought into the whole thing by my friend. But he kept asking and kept asking and I finally decided I'd attend one of their weekly meetings at a hotel. Creepiest and most seedy experience of my life. And I've experienced some creepy and seedy shit.

Afterward, I was left with a newfound hatred for stuffy-rich-white men and a bad taste in my mouth about the whole business model. It just can't be sustained. If one guy tags the next guy who then tags a bunch of other people who tag other people, and everyone's supposed to make money on this, it just can't work. You'd keep going until you had everyone in the world in the fold, and then the people on the bottom wouldn't have anyone to make money off of. If I understand the whole scheme correctly, this means the guy above them won't make any more money either, and this will travel up the line until the whole thing falls apart.

But maybe I'm wrong. I am, after all, bad at the maths and really high. So...

Anyway, I can't seem to talk my friend out of this. He's dead-set on this business plan and he's dismissing everything I have to say against it because he thinks I'm being "too skeptical." (He's one of those people who uses "skeptic" in a derogatory manner) Part of me wants to let him do what he's gonna do, but another part of me wants to save my bro from certain failure. First, though, I need to know that I'm not just ignorant of how successful business plans work and talking out of my ass. Anyone here have any experience with pyramid schemes? Is this business model not a classic example?

It sounds like a multi level marketing scheme. Avon, Amway, LifeAdvantage. Tuperware parties sort of shit.

Generally, while not technically pyramid schemes, they smack of them. The idea is that you always need new "product pushers" to keep up with the promotions. Because once a person markets the product to all their friends, there is no one left to buy it.

tell your buddy to get a real job.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
12-11-2014, 03:48 PM
(12-11-2014 02:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 02:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Pyramid schemes (or Ponzi schemes) will always be with us and they only ever benefit the ones that start it or get into it from the beginning. In fact your typical asset bubble (e.g. dot com boom, house price bubble etc) are also a pyramid scheme of sorts. When you have your shoe shine boy giving you advice on what to invest in, that's the point it's all going to collapse. They work because you always get suckers like your friend ready to lose lots of money because they are emotionally invested in it.

At least asset bubbles are the emergent product of mob psychology and not willful deception...

If you think there was not willful deception fueling the internet and housing bubbles, I have to conclude you've not done sufficient research into either. There was massive fraud in both instances.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post