Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-10-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(22-10-2013 07:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  To Gilgamesh:

A God is, in theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe.

Why do you believe such a thing exists?

Quote:(Love your username! Can I be Enkidu one day? Smile )

(◕‿◕✿)

Yes.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 12:45 PM
(23-10-2013 11:58 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 11:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  It all comes down to this. You believe without physical evidence, you suspend belief, or you disbelieve because there is no evidence. That's a bit of a simplification, but that's the basics, if we assume that a potential deity or deities is responsible for the creation of the universe.
I don't believe that any potential deity is responsible for the creation of anything (and I figure if I am wrong I don't really care all that much), but I completely understand people who need to believe that the universe was created or willed into exist by some sort of god. This god who simply willed the science to happen who is just the cause of everything we know to be true scientifically is very hard to argue against, and that is very frustrating. Our own insecurities may be the only reason to believe in his existence, but just because they can't prove he exists doesn't prove that he doesn't.
If someone has a great argument against this "god of the gaps", I would love to hear it so I can use it for future reference.

Also, is it just me or does it seem that that TTT just answered the questions he/she liked and then left the thread?

God of the gaps is an argument against itself imo. It's a moving goalpost.

We don't know, therefore god. Oh, we know that now, so that isn't god, but we still dunno that, therefore god. It's desperate and silly.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
23-10-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 02:33 PM by The_Thinking_Theist.)
Too... many... questions.....

I think I'll just answer some categories because I was gone for so long from the thread.

I'm a boy, by the way.

To the general God of the Gaps Guys (great name for a band- let's write that down)
I don't believe in God of the Gaps. I never said that nor did I imply that. I've stated that I believe in God and science and that the two are truths that are necessary.

To Bucky's Barrage of questions earlier on, here you go:

Are there any theist forums you can recommend where we atheists can go and proselytize ? No, not that I know of.

How long have you been planning on coming to TTA ? Since Monday when I found the site.

Why did you come to TTA ? For fun and frolick with people who would probably share my scientific and political views and to force my beliefs on people (Just Kidding)

Where did you hear about TTA ? Clicked on a Google link.

Why is it you think all you have to do is say something, and you actually expect people here to drop their world views, and adopt yours ? I don't.

Do you actually think you present convincing arguments ? No, I need to improve my communication skills. Ineffability makes things hard to explain though.

Have you formally studied Religion, Comparative Mythologies, or Philosophy ? Wikipedia for the win.

Did you actually think you will convert anyone here ? No.

Is YOUR mind "open" to non-belief ? If not, why do you expect that of others, and not yourself ? Yes, many ways to God, atheism is one of them (if you do it right). I found serenity in theism, though.
23-10-2013, 02:23 PM
(23-10-2013 02:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Too... many... questions.....

I think I'll just answer some categories because I was gone for so long from the thread.

I'm a boy, by the way.

To the general God of the Gaps Guys (great name for a band- let's write that down)
I don't believe in God of the Gaps. I never said that nor did I imply that. I've stated that I believe in God and science and that the two are truths that are necessary.

If you believe in God and you believe in science, then you do believe in a God of the gaps. Many people do, though they wouldn't call him "God of the gaps". They'd just say God. "God of the gaps" isn't a specific deity. It is a way of defining god as something which hasn't yet been explained by science.

23-10-2013, 02:28 PM
(23-10-2013 02:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Too... many... questions.....

I'm a boy, by the way.

If you believe in God and you believe in science, then you do believe in a God of the gaps. Many people do, though they wouldn't call him "God of the gaps". They'd just say God. "God of the gaps" isn't a specific deity. It is a way of defining god as something which hasn't yet been explained by science.

Erm, no, even if science explains "everything", each new concept will be a new piece of evidence for the greatness of God. God isn't an excuse, he's a natural force, if I can explain it that way. You forget, I think, that God himself transcends reality and cannot be explained scientifically. And plus it's unlikely we'll get close to explaining everything before going extinct.
23-10-2013, 02:33 PM
(23-10-2013 02:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If you believe in God and you believe in science, then you do believe in a God of the gaps. Many people do, though they wouldn't call him "God of the gaps". They'd just say God. "God of the gaps" isn't a specific deity. It is a way of defining god as something which hasn't yet been explained by science.

Erm, no, even if science explains "everything", each new concept will be a new piece of evidence for the greatness of God. God isn't an excuse, he's a natural force, if I can explain it that way. You forget, I think, that God himself transcends reality and cannot be explained scientifically. And plus it's unlikely we'll get close to explaining everything before going extinct.

That's just a word salad of unverifiable assertions with a dressing of pompousness. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-10-2013, 02:33 PM
(23-10-2013 02:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I don't believe in God of the Gaps. I never said that nor did I imply that. I've stated that I believe in God and science and that the two are truths that are necessary.

My posts on the topic were only tangentially addressed to you Wink

Bolded part is why I think you're barmy...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-10-2013, 02:36 PM
(23-10-2013 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Erm, no, even if science explains "everything", each new concept will be a new piece of evidence for the greatness of God. God isn't an excuse, he's a natural force, if I can explain it that way. You forget, I think, that God himself transcends reality and cannot be explained scientifically. And plus it's unlikely we'll get close to explaining everything before going extinct.

That's just a word salad of unverifiable assertions with a dressing of pompousness. Drinking Beverage

I thought I made it clear I wasn't schizophrenic.
And the coffee doesn't help your pompousness either. Drinking Beverage
23-10-2013, 02:37 PM
(23-10-2013 02:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If you believe in God and you believe in science, then you do believe in a God of the gaps. Many people do, though they wouldn't call him "God of the gaps". They'd just say God. "God of the gaps" isn't a specific deity. It is a way of defining god as something which hasn't yet been explained by science.

Uh, what? If science explains everything they will see how great God is, yet it doesn't matter cause god is outside of reality and God cannot be found. That's pretty much the definition of God of the gaps.

23-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Atheism is a way to find god. Well damn, and I thought I came here to lose him. Wink

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.