Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-10-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(23-10-2013 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I don't believe in God of the Gaps. I never said that nor did I imply that. I've stated that I believe in God and science and that the two are truths that are necessary.

My posts on the topic were only tangentially addressed to you Wink

Bolded part is why I think you're barmy...

"Extremely foolish; eccentric" is the definition of balmy

said the atheist.

How could 84% of the world be wrong and you be right?
At least I have the majority if nothing else.

(That was a good one Big Grin )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 02:41 PM
(23-10-2013 02:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Atheism is a way to find god. Well damn, and I thought I came here to lose him. Wink

IMHO anything that spiritually satisfies you gets you to God.
If it's a lack thereof, knock yourself out!

The only exception I can think of is the WBC and Jihad.
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
23-10-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 02:51 PM by Losty.)
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  My posts on the topic were only tangentially addressed to you Wink

said the atheist.

You don't have the majority. There are too many religious people who refuse to acknowledge science for you to have the majority. Atheism from what I have grown to understand is not a set of beliefs, but a lack of beliefs (someone correct me if I am wrong about this). We are right by default because we only believe in provable facts. Whether or not theists are right does not affect the fact that we are right. I cannot tell you if you are right because your beliefs cannot be proven or disproven using facts or science.

**maybe I am wrong or crazy but this is how I see it**
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
23-10-2013, 02:49 PM
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  My posts on the topic were only tangentially addressed to you Wink

said the atheist.

Argumentum ad populum

The majority means nothing in a debate.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-10-2013, 02:51 PM
(23-10-2013 02:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  "Extremely foolish; eccentric" is the definition of balmy

said the atheist.

Argumentum ad populum

That may be, but you can't call me an eccentric when about a billion Indians say otherwise.
23-10-2013, 02:56 PM
(23-10-2013 02:51 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Argumentum ad populum

That may be, but you can't call me an eccentric when about a billion Indians say otherwise.

Delusion is delusion no matter how many share them. Here's the thing man I am starting to like you, I think you have a good sense of humor and some imagination. But as far as reality goes what matters is what we have evidence for. You are claiming simultaneously that everything is evidence for God but God is not part of the universe and therefore not subject to evidence. Can't have it both ways and still be on a rational basis.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-10-2013, 03:00 PM
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  "Extremely foolish; eccentric" "Nice weather" is the definition of balmy

said the atheist.
Big Grin

Quote:How could 84% of the world be wrong and you be right?
Everyone used to believe stars were little pinpricks not very far away.

Just 'cos a lot of people believe it... might make it worth investigating / debunking / confirming, but lots of people are *fucking stupid*, so there's no need to be so humble as to think that you're wrong in the face of the majority.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-10-2013, 03:14 PM
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  How could 84% of the world be wrong and you be right?

Just one of the reasons why science is so cool. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
23-10-2013, 03:22 PM
(23-10-2013 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:39 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  "Extremely foolish; eccentric" "Nice weather" is the definition of balmy

said the atheist.
Big Grin

Quote:How could 84% of the world be wrong and you be right?
Everyone used to believe stars were little pinpricks not very far away.

Just 'cos a lot of people believe it... might make it worth investigating / debunking / confirming, but lots of people are *fucking stupid*, so there's no need to be so humble as to think that you're wrong in the face of the majority.

I'm Censored stupid?
23-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Brittany Spears was once the most popular artist for many years ,so what does having a majority tell us about that!? Also, Budwieser is the most popular beer but it does not mean it is the best choice (in my opinion anyway).

Once again - believing does not equal fact. Multiply by one million more and it is still not fact. Tell us why there are so many (too many to count) different beliefs/views around the world if there is this overwhelming concensus that you suggest supports your chosen god?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post