Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-10-2013, 04:19 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
I'd suggest a high-fiber diet and plenty of water. Either that or Taco Bell.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
23-10-2013, 04:20 PM
(23-10-2013 04:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 04:13 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You keep citations in your ass? Makes me wonder what else you keep in there for long term storage. Consider

Lotsa shit...

I'm liking this spicy side of you... Wink

Not that I think you stuff spicy shit up your ass... Confused

Yeah.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
23-10-2013, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 04:39 PM by sporehux.)
(23-10-2013 02:47 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Atheism from what I have grown to understand is not a set of beliefs, but a lack of beliefs (someone correct me if I am wrong about this). We are right by default because we only believe in provable facts. Whether or not theists are right does not affect the fact that we are right. I cannot tell you if you are right because your beliefs cannot be proven or disproven using facts or science.

**maybe I am wrong or crazy but this is how I see it**

I think I misread this statement initially. But it did make sense in a reverse way as well as L&I had intended that I had not thought of before.

If you add up (even a small%) the current science knowledge and general rational observations., And think what do I conclude from this ?
GODs = MANMADE

So we Atheist are actually believers in information (what we call, facts, evidence, theory's)
the Theist disbelieve the conclusion that GODs = MANMADE, and most (very few will even consider evidence that does not come from preachers) try to slot god into the gaps when pressed for why they are ignoring the information.

Therefore we should maybe, not be asking "The_Thinking_Theist" (and other pascallian theists) to provide proof, but helping him to the information that convinced US the obviousness of the creation.
(since theist like ancient quotesSmile
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/...327406.htm

Xenophanes (570-478 BC), a poet-philosopher from Ionia. In surviving fragments of his writings, he queries whether natural causes lie behind extraordinary divine phenomena and denounces the immoral and excessive behaviour of the gods. He also remarks on variations in the way gods were popularly depicted:

"Ethiopians make their gods snub-nosed and black; the Thracians make theirs blue-eyed and red-haired ... Mortals imagine that the gods are begotten, and that the gods wear clothes like their own and have language and form like the voice and form of mortals. But if oxen or lions had hands and could draw and do the work with their hands that men do, horses would have drawn the form of gods like horses and oxen gods like oxen and they would represent the bodies of the gods just like their own forms."

Plato probably had something similar in mind when he complained about those of his predecessors who advocated that

"the gods are human contrivances, they do not exist in nature but only by custom and law, which moreover differ from place to place according to the agreement made by each group when they laid down their laws."

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
23-10-2013, 04:46 PM
So I'm now outing myself , "I'm a creationist"

In the beginning Man created GODs the evidence is overwhelming (gia,aztecs pagans,thor zeus etc).
then some of the created GODs were claimed to be the one true god (believe me or die)
we have witnessed the creation process and have it well documented (mormonism /scientology)

[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
23-10-2013, 07:26 PM
(23-10-2013 04:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:47 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Atheism from what I have grown to understand is not a set of beliefs, but a lack of beliefs (someone correct me if I am wrong about this). We are right by default because we only believe in provable facts. Whether or not theists are right does not affect the fact that we are right. I cannot tell you if you are right because your beliefs cannot be proven or disproven using facts or science.

**maybe I am wrong or crazy but this is how I see it**

I think I misread this statement initially. But it did make sense in a reverse way as well as L&I had intended that I had not thought of before.

If you add up (even a small%) the current science knowledge and general rational observations., And think what do I conclude from this ?
GODs = MANMADE

So we Atheist are actually believers in information (what we call, facts, evidence, theory's)
the Theist disbelieve the conclusion that GODs = MANMADE, and most (very few will even consider evidence that does not come from preachers) try to slot god into the gaps when pressed for why they are ignoring the information.

Therefore we should maybe, not be asking "The_Thinking_Theist" (and other pascallian theists) to provide proof, but helping him to the information that convinced US the obviousness of the creation.

Xenophanes (570-478 BC), a poet-philosopher from Ionia. In surviving fragments of his writings, he queries whether natural causes lie behind extraordinary divine phenomena and denounces the immoral and excessive behaviour of the gods. He also remarks on variations in the way gods were popularly depicted:

"Ethiopians make their gods snub-nosed and black; the Thracians make theirs blue-eyed and red-haired ... Mortals imagine that the gods are begotten, and that the gods wear clothes like their own and have language and form like the voice and form of mortals. But if oxen or lions had hands and could draw and do the work with their hands that men do, horses would have drawn the form of gods like horses and oxen gods like oxen and they would represent the bodies of the gods just like their own forms."

Plato probably had something similar in mind when he complained about those of his predecessors who advocated that

"the gods are human contrivances, they do not exist in nature but only by custom and law, which moreover differ from place to place according to the agreement made by each group when they laid down their laws."

I hate to say this dude... but...
Check your grammar.
23-10-2013, 07:31 PM
What is your view on witchcraft and demonic possession? What is the Church's view?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
23-10-2013, 08:11 PM
(23-10-2013 07:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 04:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I think I misread this statement initially. But it did make sense in a reverse way as well as L&I had intended that I had not thought of before.

GODs = MANMADE

Check your grammar.

Granted, my grammar is normally upto shit. What was ungrammical about that post (I genuinely have nfi)

23-10-2013, 08:19 PM
(23-10-2013 07:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 04:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I think I misread this statement initially. But it did make sense in a reverse way as well as L&I had intended that I had not thought of before.

GODs = MANMADE

Check your grammar.

*report*

You'll never know if I actually did. That's the fun part. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
23-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Ok. You report me for questioning the questioning of my grammar.
Well whatever respect I had for your opinion is now gone.
Good luck with the Gapism and goodbye.

23-10-2013, 08:49 PM
(23-10-2013 08:36 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Ok. You report me for questioning the questioning of my grammar.
Well whatever respect I had for your opinion is now gone.
Good luck with the Gapism and goodbye.

I think you missed a joke there.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco