Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-10-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(23-10-2013 08:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 08:36 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Ok. You report me for questioning the questioning of my grammar.
Well whatever respect I had for your opinion is now gone.
Good luck with the Gapism and goodbye.

I think you missed a joke there.
I must have missed it too...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 10:57 PM
(23-10-2013 10:40 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 08:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think you missed a joke there.
I must have missed it too...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...now?page=5

It starts here, the *reports* come a couple pages after. Sporehux didn't catch that Cheapthrillseaker was responding to the thinking deist, not sporesy.

S'okay, it happens.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Ok. My bad. Was on phone. Little txt
Apologies to the theist. Grammar Nazi's impair my judgment.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-10-2013, 04:45 AM
(24-10-2013 12:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Ok. My bad. Was on phone. Little txt

No apostrophe needed. Smartass

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
24-10-2013, 05:41 PM
(23-10-2013 08:36 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Ok. You report me for questioning the questioning of my grammar.

I didn't report you...
24-10-2013, 05:43 PM
(23-10-2013 04:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:47 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Atheism from what I have grown to understand is not a set of beliefs, but a lack of beliefs (someone correct me if I am wrong about this). We are right by default because we only believe in provable facts. Whether or not theists are right does not affect the fact that we are right. I cannot tell you if you are right because your beliefs cannot be proven or disproven using facts or science.

**maybe I am wrong or crazy but this is how I see it**

I think I misread this statement initially. But it did make sense in a reverse way as well as L&I had intended that I had not thought of before.

If you add up (even a small%) the current science knowledge and general rational observations., And think what do I conclude from this ?
GODs = MANMADE

So we Atheist are actually believers in information (what we call, facts, evidence, theory's)
the Theist disbelieve the conclusion that GODs = MANMADE, and most (very few will even consider evidence that does not come from preachers) try to slot god into the gaps when pressed for why they are ignoring the information.

Therefore we should maybe, not be asking "The_Thinking_Theist" (and other pascallian theists) to provide proof, but helping him to the information that convinced US the obviousness of the creation.
(since theist like ancient quotesSmile
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/...327406.htm

Xenophanes (570-478 BC), a poet-philosopher from Ionia. In surviving fragments of his writings, he queries whether natural causes lie behind extraordinary divine phenomena and denounces the immoral and excessive behaviour of the gods. He also remarks on variations in the way gods were popularly depicted:

"Ethiopians make their gods snub-nosed and black; the Thracians make theirs blue-eyed and red-haired ... Mortals imagine that the gods are begotten, and that the gods wear clothes like their own and have language and form like the voice and form of mortals. But if oxen or lions had hands and could draw and do the work with their hands that men do, horses would have drawn the form of gods like horses and oxen gods like oxen and they would represent the bodies of the gods just like their own forms."

Plato probably had something similar in mind when he complained about those of his predecessors who advocated that

"the gods are human contrivances, they do not exist in nature but only by custom and law, which moreover differ from place to place according to the agreement made by each group when they laid down their laws."

"If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine.
I'm only the underline of the word.
Yes, I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do.
Like everybody else I'm searching through what I've heard."

~Yusef Islam
24-10-2013, 05:43 PM
(24-10-2013 05:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

I didn't report you...

Misunderstanding, duder. We gots it figured out.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-10-2013, 05:45 PM
(24-10-2013 04:45 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 12:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Ok. My bad. Was on phone. Little txt

No apostrophe needed. Smartass

Spoken like a true grammar Nazi!

Heil syntax!

[Image: grammar-nazi.jpg]
24-10-2013, 05:57 PM
(23-10-2013 02:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist

To Bucky's Barrage of questions earlier on, here you go:

[b' Wrote:  
Are there any theist forums you can recommend where we atheists can go and proselytize ?[/b] No, not that I know of.

How long have you been planning on coming to TTA ? Since Monday when I found the site.

Why did you come to TTA ? For fun and frolick with people who would probably share my scientific and political views and to force my beliefs on people (Just Kidding)

Where did you hear about TTA ? Clicked on a Google link.

Why is it you think all you have to do is say something, and you actually expect people here to drop their world views, and adopt yours ? I don't.

Do you actually think you present convincing arguments ? No, I need to improve my communication skills. Ineffability makes things hard to explain though.

Have you formally studied Religion, Comparative Mythologies, or Philosophy ? Wikipedia for the win.

Did you actually think you will convert anyone here ? No.

Is YOUR mind "open" to non-belief ? If not, why do you expect that of others, and not yourself ? Yes, many ways to God, atheism is one of them (if you do it right). I found serenity in theism, though.

As long as we're discussing awesome posts that have been ignored, take THAT Buckster!
24-10-2013, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 06:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-10-2013 05:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  "If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine.
I'm only the underline of the word.
Yes, I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do.
Like everybody else I'm searching through what I've heard." ~Yusef Islam

Well, I've posted Yusuf before but this is the first dangling reference I've had to ground. Big Grin

And just because Yusuf itself is a pointer to a pointer. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post