Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
24-10-2013, 07:06 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(24-10-2013 06:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Mind telling us roughly where you are from?

Maybe it shouldn't be the Catholics we should be worrying about... lol!

The Deep Southern Us. Avec la Nouvelle Orleans.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 11:44 PM by Chippy.)
(23-10-2013 02:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Erm, no, even if science explains "everything", each new concept will be a new piece of evidence for the greatness of God. God isn't an excuse, he's a natural force, if I can explain it that way. You forget, I think, that God himself transcends reality and cannot be explained scientifically. And plus it's unlikely we'll get close to explaining everything before going extinct.

Russell's Celestial Teapot was intended as parody and illustration but it looks like you've adopted the general idea as a serious conception of deity.

The deity that you are proposing is as superfluous as Russell's Celestial Teapot and as equally unfalsifable. Everything that you have said of the deity you believe in can also be said of the Celestial Teapot:

The Celestial Teapot isn't an excuse, it's a natural force...
The Teapot itself transcends reality and cannot be explained scientifically...
Every scientific discovery is a testament to the glory of the Celestial Teapot...
Everywhere I look I see evidence of the Celestial Teapot...

All you have presented is a subjctive report and a conceptualisation of a deity which is purposeless and the existence of which is impossible to falsify. That is neither compelling nor interesting. Why not just endorse the Celestial Teapot?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
24-10-2013, 11:35 PM
(23-10-2013 02:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The only exception I can think of is the WBC and Jihad.

Why are they exceptions? Merely because they aren't "nice" doesn't preclude them from having "spiritual" significance to those concerned.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 11:46 PM
(24-10-2013 11:32 PM)Chippy Wrote:  All you have presented is a subjctive report and a conceptualisation of a deity which is purposeless and the existence of which is impossible to falsify. That is neither compelling nor interesting. Why not just endorse the Celestial Teapot?

Because I know the Celestial Teapot is a human creation for the purpose of ridiculing belief in God.
25-10-2013, 12:04 AM
(24-10-2013 11:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Because I know the Celestial Teapot is a human creation for the purpose of ridiculing belief in God.

I know that God is human invention for the purpose of ridiculing other humans Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-10-2013, 12:23 AM
(25-10-2013 12:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  I know that God is human invention for the purpose of ridiculing other humans Drinking Beverage

I know which human invented the Celestial Teapot. Which human invented God?
25-10-2013, 12:28 AM
(25-10-2013 12:23 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Which human invented God?

Why would that matter ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-10-2013, 12:32 AM
(25-10-2013 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 12:23 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Which human invented God?

Why would that matter ?

It matters because knowing who invented God substantiates your claim that God is a human invention.

I say Russel invented the Celestial Teapot, that is a verifiable fact. You say God is a human invention, that is an assertion without base.
25-10-2013, 12:36 AM
(25-10-2013 12:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why would that matter ?

It matters because knowing who invented God substantiates your claim that God is a human invention.

I say Russel invented the Celestial Teapot, that is a verifiable fact. You say God is a human invention, that is an assertion without base.

So which human invented Odin?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
25-10-2013, 12:42 AM
(25-10-2013 12:36 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 12:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It matters because knowing who invented God substantiates your claim that God is a human invention.

So which human invented Odin?

Now I want to watch How To Train Your Dragon!
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post