Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-10-2013, 03:37 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(27-10-2013 02:48 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  God created the Multiverse out of sheer will, and will sustain it forever.

Anyone want to dispute that?

That's nice and all. What's it got to do with us? Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 03:44 PM
(27-10-2013 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 02:48 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  God created the Multiverse out of sheer will, and will sustain it forever.

How do you know this ?

I meditate. Gets me to God. Try it sometime. It's easy, you don't need me to know.
But, since you guys don't like that response:

The atheistic response to the creation of the universe is usually a quick explanation of the Big Bang, maybe something about a Higgs-Boson particle. While that is probably true, why did that start? Where did the laws of motion and gravity come from? What about all those other universes that are probably real? Someone, or Something, intelligent beyond our imagination is the only logical conclusion. Call him a teapot or whatever, I don't care. What matters is that the evidence points to a transcendental spirit greater than man that is and yet is not the Universe created it out of benevolent will.
27-10-2013, 03:46 PM

No matter how many universes there turn out to be in the multi-verse there will still be no evidence for any gods.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
27-10-2013, 03:48 PM
(27-10-2013 03:44 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  How do you know this ?

I meditate. Gets me to God. Try it sometime. It's easy, you don't need me to know.

The atheistic response to the creation of the universe is usually a quick explanation of the Big Bang, maybe something about a Higgs-Boson particle. While that is probably true, why did that start? Where did the laws of motion and gravity come from? What about all those other universes that are probably real? Someone, or Something, intelligent beyond our imagination is the only logical conclusion. Call him a teapot or whatever, I don't care. What matters is that the evidence points to a transcendental spirit greater than man that is and yet is not the Universe created it out of benevolent will.

Why do you think that the laws of nature need a creator?

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
27-10-2013, 03:51 PM

You have no evidence, it is just your own thoughts and feelings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2013, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 06:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Not really, since all your terms are meaningless.

1. What evidence do you have for a "multiverse" ? Be specific.
2. What evidence do you have that spacetime exists apart from this universe ?
(Necessary if your "forever" has any meaning)
3. What is this "will" you speak of, exactly, and explain exactly the mechanism for it, and the evidence for it ?
4. What is a "god" ? Is it "alive" ? (Use no term that references temporality, and explain the necessary exception).
5. Why did your deity exist in "eternity", call a halt to that "eternal state", and change (in time that hadn't been created yet), and "decide" to do something that was, from eternity, unnecessary ?
6. The universe has been proven to be non-intuitive, (illogical) to human brains. Are the findings from the double-slit experiment "logical" ?
Are Relativity and Uncertainty "logical" ? Nope. Are the tensors and matrices of Dirac "logical" ? No. What you cook up, as a NEEDED answer, because you are intolerant of ambiguity, speaks only of your needs, and psych condition, not Reality. Your use of logic, with no evidence, has no valid basis. An omnipotent deity, in your paradigm, could have created robot universe makers, whose property is to make universes for their amusement.

Take your time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-10-2013, 03:54 PM
(27-10-2013 03:44 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I meditate. Gets me to God. Try it sometime. It's easy, you don't need me to know.
So it's a *personal* revelation. I've tried it and found no God.

Quote:The atheistic response to the creation of the universe is usually a quick explanation of the Big Bang, maybe something about a Higgs-Boson particle. While that is probably true, why did that start? Where did the laws of motion and gravity come from? What about all those other universes that are probably real?
Don't know.

Quote:Someone, or Something, intelligent beyond our imagination is the only logical conclusion I can think of. Call him a teapot or whatever, I don't care. What matters is that the evidence points to a transcendental spirit greater than man that is and yet is not the Universe created it out of benevolent will.
Present your evidence. If it's meditation then... yeah, you can't assert a truth to something which is just your personal experience - how do you know your brain isn't throwing up false positives ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Your last sentence... what evidence are you referring to? For a transcendental spirit?
Btw, we're all finite beings and lack the capacity to comprehend the beginnings of the cosmos. What's wrong with we don't know at this time? Doesn't that save a step from having to create things in your head during meditation?
[+] 1 user Likes Chopdoc's post
27-10-2013, 04:09 PM

You know and we know that arguing about what is, or if there is "evidence" will get us nowhere.

I'll ask my question from a few posts back again. Let's assume there is an ultimate creator and sustainer. What does that have to do with us?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-10-2013, 04:11 PM
(27-10-2013 04:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Let's assume there is an ultimate creator and sustainer. What does that have to do with us?

He wants your money...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post