Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-10-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(27-10-2013 05:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 05:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Whaddya want me to do ? Go post in the masturbation thread ?

Please don't. Sadcryface

Prudes. Dodgy

The Thinking Pantheist seems to be a pretty good guy so far. I hear a lot of folks here say "I don't care what you choose to believe in, as long as you're not shoving it down people''s throats or trying to legislate it".

He's doing neither. Actually, from what I've seen so far, he has a similar mindset to most others here. Yes, he has a belief in a higher power, but show me once where he's claimed to be better, smarter, more righteous, "saved" or otherwise.

He's here to shoot the shit. We can discuss philosophy, and he seems more than willing to do so. No need to try and crawl up in his ass.

(sorry to talk about you all third person-like, Deist) Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
27-10-2013, 06:20 PM
(27-10-2013 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Prudes.

I have another word for you. Tasteless. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-10-2013, 06:23 PM
(27-10-2013 06:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Prudes.

I have another word for you. Tasteless. Drinking Beverage

In a nutshell! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(27-10-2013 03:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 03:44 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I meditate. Gets me to God. Try it sometime. It's easy, you don't need me to know.
But, since you guys don't like that response:

The atheistic response to the creation of the universe is usually a quick explanation of the Big Bang, maybe something about a Higgs-Boson particle. While that is probably true, why did that start? Where did the laws of motion and gravity come from? What about all those other universes that are probably real? Someone, or Something, intelligent beyond our imagination is the only logical conclusion. Call him a teapot or whatever, I don't care. What matters is that the evidence points to a transcendental spirit greater than man that is and yet is not the Universe created it out of benevolent will.

You have no evidence, it is just your own thoughts and feelings.

The atheistic response to the creation of the universe is NO.
During my meditation I was one withvthe universe and received the revalation that the universe existed all of time.
27-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Oh, TTT, you troll, you. Go to an atheist forum and ask them if anyone cares to propose an alternative to your assertion that God created the multiverse.

Most people here would obviously agree that there is a God. Not only that there isn't enough evidence to state there is a multiverse factually. It is at best one theory that attempts to explains why galaxies are spreading at an increasing speed and there seems to be something that is pulling or pushing some into a cluster. Also, the "only logical conclusion"...really? I think we both know better than that.

28-10-2013, 04:18 PM
(27-10-2013 05:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  You keep saying stuff like ineffable but... by definition that means unknowable.

So AFAICT you're either saying "I have knowledge but I don't know where it comes from", or "That which I speak about (God) is even in principle unknowable". Either of which is not a convincing argument for *me*.

Basically it sounds very much like a complicated way of saying "I'm just asserting this".

If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine. I'm only the underline of the word, yes I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do. Just like you I'm searching through what I've heard.
28-10-2013, 04:23 PM
If you have zero evidence then there is no debate. It is you choosing to believe something that cannot be proven true or untrue, and us choosing not to believe. You cannot debate something that is "ineffable", which seems to be your favorite word.
Do you have anything that is not ineffable that you would like to debate?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-10-2013, 04:42 PM
(28-10-2013 04:23 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If you have zero evidence then there is no debate. It is you choosing to believe something that cannot be proven true or untrue, and us choosing not to believe. You cannot debate something that is "ineffable", which seems to be your favorite word.
Do you have anything that is not ineffable that you would like to debate?

Well, I'd like to get around to Bucky's Barrage of questions, but I feel like I've stated the means of getting the evidence you all seek fairly clearly.
28-10-2013, 04:45 PM
(27-10-2013 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 05:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  Please don't. Sadcryface

Prudes. Dodgy

The Thinking Pantheist seems to be a pretty good guy so far. I hear a lot of folks here say "I don't care what you choose to believe in, as long as you're not shoving it down people''s throats or trying to legislate it".

He's doing neither. Actually, from what I've seen so far, he has a similar mindset to most others here. Yes, he has a belief in a higher power, but show me once where he's claimed to be better, smarter, more righteous, "saved" or otherwise.

He's here to shoot the shit. We can discuss philosophy, and he seems more than willing to do so. No need to try and crawl up in his ass.

(sorry to talk about you all third person-like, Deist) Tongue

Excellence, my friend, that post will catch some people up on the astonishing fact that I'm not a Westboro Baptist. Tongue
28-10-2013, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 05:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-10-2013 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The Thinking Pantheist seems to be a pretty good guy so far. I hear a lot of folks here say "I don't care what you choose to believe in, as long as you're not shoving it down people''s throats or trying to legislate it".

Seems pleasant enough, which is really the only thing Girly gives a shit about. I don't give a shit about his metaphysics, I got my own fucked up Gwynnies. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post