Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-10-2013, 05:01 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(28-10-2013 04:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 05:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  You keep saying stuff like ineffable but... by definition that means unknowable.

So AFAICT you're either saying "I have knowledge but I don't know where it comes from", or "That which I speak about (God) is even in principle unknowable". Either of which is not a convincing argument for *me*.

Basically it sounds very much like a complicated way of saying "I'm just asserting this".

If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine. I'm only the underline of the word, yes I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do. Just like you I'm searching through what I've heard.

Word salad.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-10-2013, 05:02 PM
(28-10-2013 04:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 04:23 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If you have zero evidence then there is no debate. It is you choosing to believe something that cannot be proven true or untrue, and us choosing not to believe. You cannot debate something that is "ineffable", which seems to be your favorite word.
Do you have anything that is not ineffable that you would like to debate?

Well, I'd like to get around to Bucky's Barrage of questions, but I feel like I've stated the means of getting the evidence you all seek fairly clearly.

No, you have described an absurd procedure that produces no evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-10-2013, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 05:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-10-2013 04:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine. I'm only the underline of the word, yes I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do. Just like you I'm searching through what I've heard.

So this is the second time I've had to ground this very same goddam dangling reference. GROUND YOUR OWN GODDAM REFERENCES BITCHES OR FACE MY FUCKING FATASS YOKOZUNA WRATH! Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 05:29 PM
(28-10-2013 04:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 04:23 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If you have zero evidence then there is no debate. It is you choosing to believe something that cannot be proven true or untrue, and us choosing not to believe. You cannot debate something that is "ineffable", which seems to be your favorite word.
Do you have anything that is not ineffable that you would like to debate?

Well, I'd like to get around to Bucky's Barrage of questions, but I feel like I've stated the means of getting the evidence you all seek fairly clearly.

Lol. Whoops sorry, I meant real provable evidence. Not silliness that pops into your head while you're humming to yourself. My mistake.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-10-2013, 06:23 PM
(28-10-2013 05:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 04:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  If I make a mark in time, I can't say the mark is mine. I'm only the underline of the word, yes I'm like him, just like you, I can't tell you what to do. Just like you I'm searching through what I've heard.

So this is the second time I've had to ground this very same goddam dangling reference. GROUND YOUR OWN GODDAM REFERENCES BITCHES OR FACE MY FUCKING FATASS YOKOZUNA WRATH! Big Grin

Hahaha dude, it's frustrating because I don't have a better way to put it.

UNSOURCED CAT STEVENS QUOTES FOR THE WIN!!!!
28-10-2013, 07:26 PM
(27-10-2013 06:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Prudes.

I have another word for you. Tasteless. Drinking Beverage

Hey! America's supposed to be a classless society. I fit in. I ain't got no class. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-10-2013, 07:57 PM
(28-10-2013 07:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hey! America's supposed to be a classless society. I fit in. I ain't got no class.

And I ain't got no god... among other things. Tongue

I ain't got no home, ain't got no shoes
Ain't got no money, Ain't got no class
Ain't got no skirts, Ain't got no sweater
Ain't got no perfume Ain't got no bed
Ain't got no mind,

Ain't got no mother Ain't got no culture
Ain't got no friends, aint got no schoolin'
Ain't got no love, Ain't got no name
Ain't got no ticket, Ain't got no token
Ain't got no god

and what have i got?
why am i alive anyway?
yeah what have i got?
nobody can take away?...

Got my hair. Got my head
Got my brains, Got my ears
Got my eyes, Got my nose
Got my mouth, I got my smile

I got my tongue, Got my chin
Got my neck, Got my legs
Got my heart, Got my soul
Got my back, I got my sex

I got my arms, got my hands, got my fingers,
got my legs, got my feet, got my toes,
got my liver, got my blood..

I've got life,
i've got my freedom
i've got life
I've got life
and I am gonna keep it
I've got life
and nobody's gonna take it away
I've got life!

As for the other thing - as you pointed out, some of us might be more interested in what people have between their ears than what they have between their legs, but the sad truth is, a lot of folk don't have... ah screw that, life's too short.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-10-2013, 09:45 PM
(28-10-2013 07:57 PM)Vera Wrote:  ah screw that, life's too short.

Now you're gettin' it. Stay classy, Vera. Tongue

Banana_zorro

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-10-2013, 01:24 AM
(28-10-2013 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 04:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I feel like I've stated the means of getting the evidence you all seek fairly clearly.
No, you have described an absurd procedure that produces no evidence.

TTT: Meditating is waaaaaaaay too dodgy a procedure to have any confidence that the result of any meditation experiment is not just wishful thinking. Can you be sure of this in your own case ? Are you *certain* (well, reasonably confident) that your happy-meditatey feelings come from God and not just *you*.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-10-2013, 07:17 PM
(29-10-2013 01:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you have described an absurd procedure that produces no evidence.

TTT: Meditating is waaaaaaaay too dodgy a procedure to have any confidence that the result of any meditation experiment is not just wishful thinking. Can you be sure of this in your own case ? Are you *certain* (well, reasonably confident) that your happy-meditatey feelings come from God and not just *you*.

If I told you I was certain, would you believe me? If so, yes. The thing is that after my meditative experience, I carried the feeling of joy with me to this day. Of course, when I clear my mind again, it all becomes even better. But I consider it *valid* because I'm able to carry the feelings I procure with me.