Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(07-11-2013 08:14 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 04:23 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well, labels labels... I never was a fan of labeling myself, spiritually or sexually.
One day I'll make you a label you can't refuse Dodgy Tongue

(06-11-2013 04:23 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Other people are free to and to a degree encouraged to label me, and I'm fairly un-lableable (most would say; you guys are pretty smart though). You're right that I use my feelings, but as I've stated in the existence thread, the feelings/experiences back up cold facts, and when I put faith into those feelings and facts it all comes together.
OK, care to elaborate? My English failed me a little. How about we distinguish sensations, feelings (emotional), facts and observations?

Circular logic is starting to happen here; the feelings where ineffable, so it will be hard to explain. Here it goes.

It's like being pleasantly drawn out to sea on a riptide, you're floating, thinking the water is fine, then you're all the sudden drawn into a vast open expanse- that you can handle. This void of self has got to me the best feeling ever, more so than the temporary ego-death by orgasm. The hard part was maintaining it, because I was conscious to a degree. My back was straight, my hands and legs formed the cosmic mudra, I had no sleep or food for 48 hours to enhance the journey- that's what made it so much bliss.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
(07-11-2013 08:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  It's like being pleasantly drawn out to sea on a riptide, you're floating, thinking the water is fine, then you're all the sudden drawn into a vast open expanse- that you can handle. This void of self has got to me the best feeling ever, more so than the temporary ego-death by orgasm. The hard part was maintaining it, because I was conscious to a degree. My back was straight, my hands and legs formed the cosmic mudra, I had no sleep or food for 48 hours to enhance the journey- that's what made it so much bliss.

Sensory deprivation tank will do the same, without all the sleep and food deprivation shit. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
(07-11-2013 08:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 08:14 AM)Luminon Wrote:  One day I'll make you a label you can't refuse Dodgy Tongue

OK, care to elaborate? My English failed me a little. How about we distinguish sensations, feelings (emotional), facts and observations?

Circular logic is starting to happen here; the feelings where ineffable, so it will be hard to explain. Here it goes.

It's like being pleasantly drawn out to sea on a riptide, you're floating, thinking the water is fine, then you're all the sudden drawn into a vast open expanse- that you can handle. This void of self has got to me the best feeling ever, more so than the temporary ego-death by orgasm. The hard part was maintaining it, because I was conscious to a degree. My back was straight, my hands and legs formed the cosmic mudra, I had no sleep or food for 48 hours to enhance the journey- that's what made it so much bliss.

Sometimes I'm looking for the insane option next to the "like" for you TTT

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
It really sounds like your god has a name. It's called the Big Bang. Before the big bang, there was no space or time.
This may come off as a little facetious or tongue in cheek, but from the posts of yours I have read, you are trying to describe a scientific event as if it has spiritual connotation.

You say your god sustains everything.

The BB created everything, and in creating everything, created mechanisms that allow everything to be sustained.

This also makes sense when you say you see god all around you. Without the big bang, there would be nothing around you. It is the spark the was necessary for you, and everything that you see.

You say your god is nothing like the gods of other lore--yours is not anthropomorphized.

I guess if your god is the big bang, I don't see that as a major issue. You can't displease the BB, and the BB won't send you to hell. The BB won't give you a horse if you pray for it, but the BB did create every single horse that ever lived.

So you can say you are 'of god' and be totally correct...maybe even 'made in god's image' since you are just a collection of atoms.
[+] 3 users Like jaguar3030's post
08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
(08-11-2013 12:51 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It really sounds like your god has a name. It's called the Big Bang. Before the big bang, there was no space or time.
This may come off as a little facetious or tongue in cheek, but from the posts of yours I have read, you are trying to describe a scientific event as if it has spiritual connotation.

The BB created everything, and in creating everything, created mechanisms that allow everything to be sustained.

This also makes sense when you say you see god all around you. Without the big bang, there would be nothing around you. It is the spark the was necessary for you, and everything that you see.

You say your god is nothing like the gods of other lore--yours is not anthropomorphized.

I guess if your god is the big bang, I don't see that as a major issue. You can't displease the BB, and the BB won't send you to hell. The BB won't give you a horse if you pray for it, but the BB did create every single horse that ever lived.

So you can say you are 'of god' and be totally correct...maybe even 'made in god's image' since you are just a collection of atoms.

No.
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
(08-11-2013 04:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 12:51 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It really sounds like your god has a name. It's called the Big Bang. Before the big bang, there was no space or time.

No.

And why not?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
(08-11-2013 04:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

No.

Your reply is simply no? Does it displease you that your god may just be your misinterpretation of a scientific theory?

Theists need to realize that science is magnificent. Undeniably and profoundly beautiful in all senses of the word. Evolution tells the history of us. Evolution was the mold from which the amazing organisms of this Earth sprang from. Evolution can be credited with that sense of wonderment that seems so unique to the human species.
The Big Bang is irrevocably superb. The event that made time and space. Produced atoms that were set forth on a journey that would ultimately become you.

If you must have a god, the BB seems to describe it very accurately, and evolution seems to be a prophet--a prophet still working in all its glory right here, right now.
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
(08-11-2013 04:55 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 04:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No.

Your reply is simply no? Does it displease you that your god may just be your misinterpretation of a scientific theory?

Theists need to realize that science is magnificent. Undeniably and profoundly beautiful in all senses of the word. Evolution tells the history of us. Evolution was the mold from which the amazing organisms of this Earth sprang from. Evolution can be credited with that sense of wonderment that seems so unique to the human species.
The Big Bang is irrevocably superb. The event that made time and space. Produced atoms that were set forth on a journey that would ultimately become you.

If you must have a god, the BB seems to describe it very accurately, and evolution seems to be a prophet--a prophet still working in all its glory right here, right now.

No, you're wrong.
I already have realized that science is magnificent.
Science is truth, so is God, science and truth are therefore synonyms with God.
Plus, no one's tried my communion technique with God yet, so don't go around bashing people. It's interesting that you called evolution a prophet. I'd like to hear more about that.

And who's the BB? Are you saying "Big Bang"?
09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
(09-11-2013 09:35 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, you're wrong.
Plus, no one's tried my communion technique with God yet, so don't go around bashing people. It's interesting that you called evolution a prophet. I'd like to hear more about that.

Jag just attempted to make sense for himself what you were talking about - he was simply transcribing what you were saying. I saw no one bashing anyone or anything.

And how do you know that no one has tried you "communion technique with god"? Maybe someone tried and it didn't work for them.

Yes, Jag's BB was referencing the big bang - didn't you even read the second sentence he wrote?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-11-2013, 01:36 PM
(09-11-2013 10:06 AM)kim Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 09:35 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, you're wrong.

Jag just attempted to make sense for himself what you were talking about - he was simply transcribing what you were saying. I saw no one bashing anyone or anything.

And how do you know that no one has tried you "communion technique with god"? Maybe someone tried and it didn't work for them.

Yes, Jag's BB was referencing the big bang - didn't you even read the second sentence he wrote?

Yeah, I didn't read his post closely enough. Sorry. If you have tried, I'd love to hear about it.