Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-10-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(22-10-2013 08:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No Jewish Zombies allowed in my clubhouse!
Lol!
I'm a theist that believes that science doesn't disprove God, only shows how great God is. He's not in a trinity, (he's not even a boy) he's the transcending God of the Multiverse, both entirely made up and seperate from us.

So god is an "it" ?
Should have stopped at "entirely made up". Tongue

Good one. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The_Thinking_Theist's post
22-10-2013, 08:23 PM
(22-10-2013 08:20 PM)sporehux Wrote:  So your God = God of the gaps. That's fair enough.

The Force is strong in this one ambiguity tolerance is low in this one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

22-10-2013, 08:25 PM
You do realise that "god of the gaps" is not evidence proof in any way.
An alien being named George could be substituted .
George of the gaps.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 08:25 PM
(22-10-2013 08:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:11 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Best answer. Ever Wink

What the hell are you then ?
Is jesus in your clubhouse ?

No Jewish Zombies allowed in my clubhouse!
Lol!
I'm a theist that believes that science doesn't disprove God, only shows how great God is. He's not in a trinity, (he's not even a boy) he's the transcending God of the Multiverse, both entirely made up and seperate from us.

You sound more Deist than Theist. Do you believe in a personal god? If so, which one?
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 08:29 PM
(22-10-2013 08:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So as a theist, how best would you describe your "faith". You've alluded to a number of beliefs but have been fairly vague so far.

Is there a particular version of theism you subscribe to? Buddhism or pantheism?

Also, what is your general view on atheism? You haven't come across as really hostile or derisive at all. Although you did use the phrase "that's what I hate about atheists".
Not that I think it means you hate atheists, by the way. I'm curious as to what brings you here as opposed to any other forum.

I love the Buddha as a way to end suffering, but his path was hard to emulate. I consider myself a trailblazer of sorts, finding my own way in this crazy blue marble we're all trying to get something out of. But, despite my own path, I have come to a conclusion many others have come to independently. God (as I described him earlier) is the great sustainer of all. I have no problems with most atheists (the quote I used was 'most atheists' Thumbsup ) and I came here to be among people who would probably share my political and scientific views as well as my thirst for meaning. (I am very thirsty man) And, I admit, I wanted to share my own little way of thinking of things.

Not that you hardheads would head me- just kidding. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
22-10-2013, 08:30 PM
(22-10-2013 08:25 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No Jewish Zombies allowed in my clubhouse!
Lol!

You sound more Deist than Theist. Do you believe in a personal god? If so, which one?

You nailed it! No personal God. Though I am a theist.
22-10-2013, 08:31 PM
(22-10-2013 08:25 PM)sporehux Wrote:  You do realise that "god of the gaps" is not evidence proof in any way.
An alien being named George could be substituted .
George of the gaps.

What does god of the gaps mean?
22-10-2013, 08:32 PM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism
Ok that's a term I've learnt today.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Deism and Theism mean the same thing, just in different languages.

Theos in Greek means God.

Deus in Latin means God.

No difference.
22-10-2013, 08:38 PM
(22-10-2013 08:30 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:25 PM)BryanS Wrote:  You sound more Deist than Theist. Do you believe in a personal god? If so, which one?

You nailed it! No personal God. Though I am a theist.

This might just be a terminology issue then, but Deism generally accepts the idea that there is a god, but not a personal god. Theism generally refers to someone who in addition to the beliefs of a deist, believes that god is a personal god, involved in the minutia of our lives, more like Abrahamic religions.

What aspects of Deism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism ) would you say is different from your beliefs?