Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
13-11-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(12-11-2013 10:31 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 08:54 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  But does the Big Bang transcend reality?

No

Does the Big Bang have supernatural abilities?

No.

Is the Big Bang infinite?

It's effects may be, but really it was a brief event.

Can the Big Bang be witnessed?

No.

While it was a most sacred event, maybe it wasn't even remarkable seeing as it was possible it couldv'e happened before. But no, God =/= the Big Bang (which is a theory, anyway).
----------

Does it transcend reality?: See virtual particles.

Does it have supernatural abilities?: it created space and time..fuck to the yea!

Is it infinite?: it is the beginning of time..could it be infinite? there are those that propose it could be.

Can the Big Bang be witnessed?: uh...we can hear it, so yea.

(Oh you saw that TEDtalk about hearing the universe too? I liked it a lot)

Anyway, space and time are entirely natural, so they don't fit into the category of supernatural. Also, we know that there was an infinite amount of time before the big bang, the big bang's significance was that it spread matter out everywhere. It's even possible that there where big crunches and big bangs and of course other expanding universes before the one that we're in.

I hate to do something I&I does, but:

Next. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2013, 03:21 PM
(13-11-2013 03:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 06:12 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  G
God is most kind.

You go tell that to the 7 year old dying of Leukemia, the people in the Philippines, and the Jews in the Holocaust. Then report back.

God =/= the Universe.

He's entirely in and out at the same time. (That's what she said lol)

So, a force of nature be it man or the sun or microbes is not really God's fault.
13-11-2013, 03:22 PM
(13-11-2013 03:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 12:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  In that case, I have another question for you. Do you acknowledge the fact that you don't know any of this? Consider

Well if I didn't *know* than how could I *believe*?

There is a significant difference between belief in something and knowledge of it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-11-2013, 03:27 PM
(13-11-2013 03:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 03:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well if I didn't *know* than how could I *believe*?

There is a significant difference between belief in something and knowledge of it.

Good point.

*reconsiders question*

Ok, the way I see it is I've got all my irrational (as you call it) faith, but I have my meditative experiences and general observations as facts to put my faith in, with my conjecture of those variables being that God must be real and all of those things I said before.
13-11-2013, 03:32 PM
(13-11-2013 03:21 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  So, a force of nature be it man or the sun or microbes is not really God's fault.

What does God do then, if he's so non-interventionist, other than give you happy fluffy feelings ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-11-2013, 03:42 PM
(13-11-2013 03:19 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 10:31 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ----------

Does it transcend reality?: See virtual particles.

Does it have supernatural abilities?: it created space and time..fuck to the yea!

Is it infinite?: it is the beginning of time..could it be infinite? there are those that propose it could be.

Can the Big Bang be witnessed?: uh...we can hear it, so yea.

(Oh you saw that TEDtalk about hearing the universe too? I liked it a lot)

Anyway, space and time are entirely natural, so they don't fit into the category of supernatural. Also, we know that there was an infinite amount of time before the big bang, the big bang's significance was that it spread matter out everywhere. It's even possible that there where big crunches and big bangs and of course other expanding universes before the one that we're in.

Next. Drinking Beverage

Don't know of any Tedtalk that talks about cosmic background radiation, but it would most likely be interesting.

Don't really understand your definition of 'supernatural.' What constitutes the addition of 'super' to the word?

There was no time before the big bang. Try again.
13-11-2013, 03:45 PM
(13-11-2013 03:19 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Also, we know that there was an infinite amount of time before the big bang, the big bang's significance was that it spread matter out everywhere.

Actually we don't know that. At a singularity time slows to a halt. What happened "before" the singularity is unknown, (or if that even makes any sense). Time is not separate from space (Relativity .. in this universe anyway), so to posit infinite time, one has to also posit infinite space BEFORE time existed, (which is meaningless).
There is not a shred of evidence for anything "supernatural".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-11-2013, 03:49 PM
(13-11-2013 03:42 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 03:19 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  (Oh you saw that TEDtalk about hearing the universe too? I liked it a lot)

Next. Drinking Beverage

Don't know of any Tedtalk that talks about cosmic background radiation, but it would most likely be interesting.

Don't really understand your definition of 'supernatural.' What constitutes the addition of 'super' to the word?

There was no time before the big bang. Try again.

A force ascribed to a force beyond scientific observation or laws of nature.
13-11-2013, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 05:27 PM by Cathym112.)
(13-11-2013 03:12 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 12:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome to the real world TTT Wink You know, in a more polite society people would just think it, or talk behind your back. IDK about you, but I prefer it this way. When you have a disagreement you can sort it out *right now*, and if it's not resolved you don't have to pretend to like the person - you can just move on. IMO, 1000 times better than leaving it to fester.

I don't know dude, Cathym came unto this thread with an unappreciated air of superiority and didn't respond well to my (IMO) polite response.

I have decided to ignore his posts on this thread for the most part until behavior improves.

I guess I'm just being a pedantic little shit like that. Big Grin

Other than saying your flowery description of god using superfluous language as "word vomit", I've made several posts on this thread. Page 41-42. Which ones were rude? I don't feel as though I have been rude at all, but I sincerely apologize if it came off that way. I'm abrupt and skip a lot of the bullshit. I never claimed not to be.

You also have the wrong idea about my sense of superiority. I'm far from it. In fact, all I truly know, is just how much I don't know.

Also - I'm not a dude, dude.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
13-11-2013, 05:30 PM
(13-11-2013 05:06 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 03:12 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I don't know dude, Cathym came unto this thread with an unappreciated air of superiority and didn't respond well to my (IMO) polite response.

I have decided to ignore his posts on this thread for the most part until behavior improves.

I guess I'm just being a pedantic little shit like that. Big Grin

Other than saying your flowery description of god using superfluous language as "word vomit", I've made several posts on this thread. Page 41-42. Which ones were rude? I don't feel as though I have been rude at all, but I sincerely apologize if it came off that way. I'm abrupt and skip a lot of the bullshit. I never claimed not to be.

You also have the wrong idea about my sense of superiority. I'm far from it. In fact, all I truly know, is just how much I don't know.

Also - I'm not a dude, dude.

Hm, you came and said my description of le Gode was vomit, then called me a shit (which, for the record, wasn't the first time that's happened on my thread), then you said I was being rude to evenheathen when you had no idea what the running joke was.

I consider all of that rude, but again, maybe I'm just being my pedantic little shit self.