Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-10-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(22-10-2013 08:31 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:25 PM)sporehux Wrote:  You do realise that "god of the gaps" is not evidence proof in any way.
An alien being named George could be substituted .
George of the gaps.

What does god of the gaps mean?

Anything unexplained, mysterious baffling to science is therefore Divine providence. Eg: god made made all creatures, until evolution evidence debunked that idea.
So god of the gaps gets smaller each time science explain s new stuff.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 08:41 PM
(22-10-2013 08:31 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:25 PM)sporehux Wrote:  You do realise that "god of the gaps" is not evidence proof in any way.
An alien being named George could be substituted .
George of the gaps.

What does god of the gaps mean?

It's a criticism atheists make of religion where often times god is used to explain what is currently not understood. God was used to explain why planets moved how they did until the law of gravity was discovered that allowed us to calculate their movements. Any gap in fossil records is used to justify god's existence by Creationists, so atheists have come to ridicule this kind of theological argument as 'god of the gaps'.
22-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
Thinking_Theist,

You say God is the creator and sustainer of the universe.

Why do you believe in God?
Why not simply believe that the universe created itself, and that it sustains itself?
22-10-2013, 08:49 PM
(22-10-2013 08:42 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  Thinking_Theist,

Why not simply believe that the universe created itself, and that it sustains itself?

Ineffable religious experience. I can see evidence of God everywhere I look now that I have a truly open mind about it. Also, all you God of the Gaps people, you completely missed my point.
22-10-2013, 08:54 PM
What do you think of the philosophy: Events happen; deeds are done; but there is no doer thereof.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Well, Bryan, all aspects of Deism as well as all aspects of Theism. I will concede, however, that when there is a contradiction, I will usually lean towards deism. I prefer theism, though, because it emphasizes God.
(22-10-2013 08:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

Ineffable religious experience. I can see evidence of God everywhere I look now that I have a truly open mind about it. Also, all you God of the Gaps people, you completely missed my point.

What exactly is the difference between your "religious experience" and those who honestly think something but are having hallucinations ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-10-2013, 08:58 PM
(22-10-2013 08:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

Well, despite being ineffable, you're going to have to do your best to describe this experience, this evidence that you see all around you because we atheists don't see or feel that. Maybe an atheist like Sam Harris would be able to describe the kind of transcendence and spirituality he's experienced as an atheist, but he would not attribute those experiences to god.

[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 09:06 PM
By the way, The_Thinking_Theist, we may be all piling on posts, swarming around you like a bunch of wild harpies, but you've been doing a decent job of keeping it all in stride. Keep it up. I think so far your posts are in keeping with what this forum looks for in debate with theists.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 09:14 PM
(22-10-2013 08:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Ineffable religious experience. I can see evidence of God everywhere I look now that I have a truly open mind about it. Also, all you God of the Gaps people, you completely missed my point.

What exactly is the difference between your "religious experience" and those who honestly think something but are having hallucinations ?

I don't exhibit any schizoid personality traits. That's the main difference.
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post