Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-10-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Q&A with The_Thinking_Theist
(22-10-2013 08:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:49 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Ineffable religious experience. I can see evidence of God everywhere I look now that I have a truly open mind about it. Also, all you God of the Gaps people, you completely missed my point.

Well, despite being ineffable, you're going to have to do your best to describe this experience, this evidence that you see all around you because we atheists don't see or feel that. Maybe an atheist like Sam Harris would be able to describe the kind of transcendence and spirituality he's experienced as an atheist, but he would not attribute those experiences to god.

It's like... *struggles for words* ....it's like.... having the key to every door, you know? Everything kinda has it's own place and makes sense in the Universe. Now I'm no Buddha beneath the Bodhi (I hope I didn't come off like that), but I think that I found some legitimate beauty in everything. So few troubles. That's the experience.

Was that what you wanted?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 09:22 PM
(22-10-2013 09:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Well, despite being ineffable, you're going to have to do your best to describe this experience, this evidence that you see all around you because we atheists don't see or feel that. Maybe an atheist like Sam Harris would be able to describe the kind of transcendence and spirituality he's experienced as an atheist, but he would not attribute those experiences to god.

It's like... *struggles for words* ....it's like.... having the key to every door, you know? Everything kinda has it's own place and makes sense in the Universe. Now I'm no Buddha beneath the Bodhi (I hope I didn't come off like that), but I think that I found some legitimate beauty in everything. So few troubles. That's the experience.

It will do. But why would that feeling have any relevance to the existence of god rather than just being part of the human experience?
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 09:26 PM
(22-10-2013 09:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Well, despite being ineffable, you're going to have to do your best to describe this experience, this evidence that you see all around you because we atheists don't see or feel that. Maybe an atheist like Sam Harris would be able to describe the kind of transcendence and spirituality he's experienced as an atheist, but he would not attribute those experiences to god.

So before you decided to credit your god for this "feeling"/experience, how many of all the possible natural explanations did you examine, and dismiss, and why ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
22-10-2013, 09:28 PM
(22-10-2013 09:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What exactly is the difference between your "religious experience" and those who honestly think something but are having hallucinations ?

I don't exhibit any schizoid personality traits. That's the main difference.

Neither do many of them. If you DID start having hallucinations, how would you know the difference ? Do you hear god speaking to you in your head ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
22-10-2013, 11:51 PM
(22-10-2013 08:40 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:31 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  What does god of the gaps mean?

Anything unexplained, mysterious baffling to science is therefore Divine providence. Eg: god made made all creatures, until evolution evidence debunked that idea.
So god of the gaps gets smaller each time science explain s new stuff.

How exactly does evolution debunk the existence of a god? Could it not be argued that a god or creator of some sort caused this evolution?
23-10-2013, 12:12 AM
(22-10-2013 05:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 05:19 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ...
Feel free to dump arguments here!

If x is an odd integer, so is x^2.

[Image: fuck_math_by_prettyfantastic-d3dw7ai_large.jpg]

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
23-10-2013, 12:20 AM
(22-10-2013 11:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:40 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Anything unexplained, mysterious baffling to science is therefore Divine providence. Eg: god made made all creatures, until evolution evidence debunked that idea.
So god of the gaps gets smaller each time science explain s new stuff.

How exactly does evolution debunk the existence of a god? Could it not be argued that a god or creator of some sort caused this evolution?

Nope I only said it debunked the idea god created all creatures

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
23-10-2013, 12:27 AM
(23-10-2013 12:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 11:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  How exactly does evolution debunk the existence of a god? Could it not be argued that a god or creator of some sort caused this evolution?

Nope I only said it debunked the idea god created all creatures

I get what you're saying, but if god created the first organism, or the process for it to come about, and also created evolution, then he is responsible for the creation of all known creatures.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
23-10-2013, 01:44 AM
(23-10-2013 12:27 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 12:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Nope I only said it debunked the idea god created all creatures

I get what you're saying, but if god created the first organism, or the process for it to come about, and also created evolution, then he is responsible for the creation of all known creatures.

That is theistic evolution yes but it moves god several steps further away. That's the problem with the God of Gaps he just keep running further and further away.

(Yesterday 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
23-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Earthquakes are the anger of God...

Earthquakes are the result of natural forces which are now well understood.

OK but God is the reason for those natural forces...

But we understand where those forces come from too - deep convection in the Earth's mantle...

You can carry on: God is the reason the core is molten or whatever...

But at that stage, are you actually saying anything really, or are you just desperately clinging to some idea of a deity "out there" ?

This is why God of the gaps argument becomes silly - from being the agent God is gradually demoted to some abstract assertion which makes no sense.

And more especially, you say you don't believe in a personal God. Do you believe in life after death, when your *impersonal* God is running the show ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.