Q: Where will you be jailed for saying you're an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Q: Where will you be jailed for saying you're an atheist?
A: Egypt

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/opinio...heism.html

"It took one session on Jan. 10 for a court in the Nile Delta province of Beheira to sentence Karim al-Banna, a 21-year-old student, to three years in prison for saying on Facebook that he was an atheist."

Remember the Arab Spring, and all the hopes we had for genuine reform and enlightenment in that benighted part of the world? Welcome to reality.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like cufflink's post
28-01-2015, 01:47 AM
RE: Q: Where will you be jailed for saying you're an atheist?
Probably a good rule of thumb, if the place is sandy and you see people riding Camels, it may be best to keep it to yourself. Tongue
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
28-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Egypt - one of our "best allies in the middle east".

With friends like that - who needs enemies??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-01-2015, 06:28 AM
(28-01-2015 01:37 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Remember the Arab Spring, and all the hopes we had for genuine reform and enlightenment in that benighted part of the world? Welcome to reality.

While the idea of someone being jailed for not being religious is stupid and terrible, I don't think increased secularization was an expected outcome of the Arab Spring; at least, not in Egypt. Hosni Mubarak's regime was not known for supporting religious extremism, and was eventually replaced by the Muslim Brotherhood. I think we all expected things to get worse and not better in Egypt, religiously speaking.
28-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Nice to see you posting cufflink.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
28-01-2015, 08:15 AM
(28-01-2015 06:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 01:37 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Remember the Arab Spring, and all the hopes we had for genuine reform and enlightenment in that benighted part of the world? Welcome to reality.

While the idea of someone being jailed for not being religious is stupid and terrible, I don't think increased secularization was an expected outcome of the Arab Spring; at least, not in Egypt. Hosni Mubarak's regime was not known for supporting religious extremism, and was eventually replaced by the Muslim Brotherhood. I think we all expected things to get worse and not better in Egypt, religiously speaking.

There was a span of time before the Asshole Brotherhood gained power where there was actual hope.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-01-2015, 08:41 AM
(28-01-2015 01:47 AM)pablo Wrote:  Probably a good rule of thumb, if the place is sandy and you see people riding Camels, it may be best to keep it to yourself. Tongue

Fucking Australians, and I always thought they were more tolerant.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
28-01-2015, 11:47 AM
1. I'm The Q, and I don't think it's likely I'll be jailed for saying I'm an atheist. However, now that I realize you were asking a question rather than challenging The Q directly with your post...

2. It's a shame that Muslims are so clearly intolerant, and always have been, of Christians and atheists alike. Sucks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
28-01-2015, 11:50 AM
(28-01-2015 11:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. I'm The Q, and I don't think it's likely I'll be jailed for saying I'm an atheist. However, now that I realize you were asking a question rather than challenging The Q directly with your post...

2. It's a shame that Muslims are so clearly intolerant, and always have been, of Christians and atheists alike. Sucks.

They’re probably not too fond of people who speak in the 3rd person either. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
28-01-2015, 12:11 PM
(28-01-2015 11:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  They’re probably not too fond of people who speak in the 3rd person either. Drinking Beverage

Not referring to yourself in the 3rd person is one of the five pillars of Islam. It's right up there with giving alms to the poor and the pilgrimage to the Holy Land.