(Q for Theist) Why didn't "God" give Cetaceans gills?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: (Q for Theist) Why didn't "God" give Cetaceans gills?
(20-02-2014 02:44 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 02:22 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:   wait...what the fuck?! OTTERS DON'T BUILD DAMS!!!

True. That's beavers. Otters are the ones that smash shells on their underside.

While we are at it I think we...I mean "God"...should give alligators gills. Perhaps Hippos too?

(P.S., This post is still really more intended with cetaceans in mind as they seem the most obvious to benefit. Them and manatees/dugons.)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 02:56 AM
(20-02-2014 02:50 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  While we are at it I think we...I mean "God"...should give beavers and alligators gills. Perhaps Hippos too?

No, they are fine as they are. None of them are at any disadvantage being above/out of water.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2014, 02:58 AM
(20-02-2014 02:39 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 02:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But couldn't they all have both? Seems like the best of both worlds if the sky is the limit. Consider

Possibly but I think gills are a problem for terrestrial mammals because they are an anatomical vulnerability in relation to mammalian behaviour. Gills represent the external exposure of masses of blood vessels. Male walruses and seals have brutal fights during mating season and they wound themselves all over their upper bodies. They (usually) survive these fights because they have such thick layers of blubber. If they had gill slits that would be an entry point for a tooth and if a tooth entered those it would produce a "bleeder" and death would soon follow. The gills would need muscular lids to close them off and protect them.

Also, I think they would need to have a valve system to direct blood between lungs or gills because if their heart is pumping blood to lungs and gills while they are underwater the lungs will be returning unoxgenated blood back to the heart and the rest of the body and CO2 levels will be rising.

I'd just stick with whales having gills because they have no real terrestrial needs. If they had gills and the rest of their anatomy was the same they would still be able to surface just for the fuck of it and they could stay underwater and avoid Japanese "research".

True, and a deity could design other elements to compensate for that, like the aforementioned circulatory valves and additional armor.

But if we are talking about an all powerful deity here, one wonders why we have to deal with metabolizing anything. Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-02-2014, 03:01 AM
(20-02-2014 02:56 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 02:50 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  While we are at it I think we...I mean "God"...should give beavers and alligators gills. Perhaps Hippos too?

No, they are fine as they are. None of them are at any disadvantage being above/out of water.

For now they are "fine". Give it a few million years, and then we'll see.

20-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Got me thinking also about the methods of feeding, and providing sufficient nutrition to support large bodies. Why are some whales and fishes filter feeders and others have teeth and are skilled predators? If there was one best way to gain nourishment, would not that be the most "intelligent design" for all?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
20-02-2014, 10:40 AM
(20-02-2014 01:32 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  A question for Theist...

Why did 'God' not go ahead and give fully aquatic mammals, such as whales and dolphins, gills, instead of lungs? It doesn't seem like an intelligent design for such animals.
Hmmm. May be you are not intelligent enough or not informed enough to see it as an intelligent design?

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
20-02-2014, 10:50 AM
(20-02-2014 10:40 AM)Alla Wrote:  

Why did 'God' not go ahead and give fully aquatic mammals, such as whales and dolphins, gills, instead of lungs? It doesn't seem like an intelligent design for such animals.
Hmmm. May be you are not intelligent enough or not informed enough to see it as an intelligent design?

No, I am, and it's not.

But you, Alla, are not intelligent or informed enough to see why it is not intelligently designed.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
20-02-2014, 10:53 AM

Here I am reading an interesting, civil discussion and I'm enjoying it...then I come to this.

Facepalm

Maybe Alla, you're just too stupid to see the lack of intelligence in your intelligent design?

Now, shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-02-2014, 10:54 AM
(Q for Theist) Why didn't "God" give Cetaceans gills?

This from the "Clearly science is mistaken: This animal was molded out of clay" crowd.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
20-02-2014, 10:55 AM
(20-02-2014 01:52 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  For that matter, why would "God" make land dwelling rolly pollies with gills?

Because names for them are regional, I'm including a picture so we are all on the same page as to what I'm referring to when I say "rolly pollies".
[Image: potato-bugs.jpg]

Those aren't rolly-pollies...those are "pill bugs" Tongue

But wait...They have gills?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon