QC got her wallet / bag stolen.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 01:04 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
RE: QC got her wallet / bag stolen.
(10-12-2012 03:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 03:14 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  I'm not saying don't shoot. I'm just suggesting caution--why shoot to *kill* when a lesser injury can just as likely protect you?
Because... that's not how shooting works.

In the moment, unless you've been vigorously trained, there is no "shoot to harm". It's actually very difficult to shoot someone in the leg or arm... in fight or flight situations, you aim and then shoot... preferably numerous times until your target stops moving.

It's not like the movies.

There are also legal issues associated with 'shoot-to-wound'. You may be held liable in a criminal court if you do so. Also what do you do with the wounded attacker? This assumes his aggression is quelled by the injury.

Also, aside from death by firing squad, I can't think of a valid 'shoot to kill' scenario either. You can be found guilty of manslaughter or murder for that as well.

The legal bounds for the use of a gun for personal protection is the application of deadly force by shooting to stop if you believe you are in true fear of life and limb. Deadly force is defined as the application of force designed to cause grave bodily injury or death. Using a firearm, this involves aiming for the heart and central nervous system on the assailant. Shooting to stop means you aim and shoot there and keep shooting until you are sure the threat is neutralized, the attacker disengages or sues for peace. If he dies in the process of shooting him, that's unfortunate, but so be it. True fear is fearing for one's life of the life of another is in imminent danger if you don't react and defend yourself.

Also, and many people don't know or understand this, but legally, there are situations where you can kill another person, but it is never legal to murder them.

Those are the legal bounds. The reality is if you do shoot and kill someone you'd better be prepared to defend your decision before a judge and jury. Even police officers who shoot and kill a criminal in the line of duty go through a shit storm in the aftermath. You can lose your job, your money, your property, and possibly your freedom depending on how 12 strangers see what you did.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
(10-12-2012 07:27 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 03:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because... that's not how shooting works.

In the moment, unless you've been vigorously trained, there is no "shoot to harm". It's actually very difficult to shoot someone in the leg or arm... in fight or flight situations, you aim and then shoot... preferably numerous times until your target stops moving.

It's not like the movies.

There are also legal issues associated with 'shoot-to-wound'. You may be held liable in a criminal court if you do so. Also what do you do with the wounded attacker? This assumes his aggression is quelled by the injury.

Also, aside from death by firing squad, I can't think of a valid 'shoot to kill' scenario either. You can be found guilty of manslaughter or murder for that as well.

The legal bounds for the use of a gun for personal protection is the application of deadly force by shooting to stop if you believe you are in true fear of life and limb. Deadly force is defined as the application of force designed to cause grave bodily injury or death. Using a firearm, this involves aiming for the heart and central nervous system on the assailant. Shooting to stop means you aim and shoot there and keep shooting until you are sure the threat is neutralized, the attacker disengages or sues for peace. If he dies in the process of shooting him, that's unfortunate, but so be it. True fear is fearing for one's life of the life of another is in imminent danger if you don't react and defend yourself.

Also, and many people don't know or understand this, but legally, there are situations where you can kill another person, but it is never legal to murder them.

Those are the legal bounds. The reality is if you do shoot and kill someone you'd better be prepared to defend your decision before a judge and jury. Even police officers who shoot and kill a criminal in the line of duty go through a shit storm in the aftermath. You can lose your job, your money, your property, and possibly your freedom depending on how 12 stranger see what you did.

I've got a couple hundred acres of wetlands behind my house.
That's a lot of room for biodegradable matter.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
(10-12-2012 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've got a couple hundred acres of wetlands behind my house.
I will never *ever* visit you Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-12-2012, 12:38 AM
(11-12-2012 12:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've got a couple hundred acres of wetlands behind my house.
Me neither! Forget all your delicious "food" and "coffee".
11-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Would it make you both feel better if it were acres of desert behind his house? Rolleyes

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-12-2012, 08:55 AM
(11-12-2012 12:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Come! Join us! Don't be afraid! Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post